Info for the Reflash

boostisgood

:
1988 FC3S TII
Seeing that this is becoming a hot topic again, I decided to post this little bit of info for everyone. 2nd owners of the MSP are coming in, and I think its important that they know this info. :D

This is taken from TheMans Protege FAQ site (thanks bro) http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/

With this information, you can be well armed when talking with your service manager. All the information regarding what the dealer needs to do is right here. Also, remember that if you bought this car used, it must be serviced by a MAZDASPEED certified dealer, even if you bought it from a non Mazdaspeed dealer. Find one close to you at http://www.mazdausa.com
01-005/05 2003 & 2003.5 MAZDASPEED PROTEGE - HESITATION AND/OR INTERMITTENT STUMBLE UNDER ACCELERATION

Note: This bulletin supersedes the following TSB(s): 01-022/03. Please update your records accordingly.

BULLETIN NOTE

This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-022/03, issued on 10/06/03. The REPAIR PROCEDURE, CALIBRATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised.

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2003 and 2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege

DESCRIPTION

A new calibration has been introduced to correct hesitation and/or intermittent stumble under acceleration. To correct this concern, reprogram the PCM of all MAZDASPEED Proteges using the following repair procedure.

NOTE: It is also recommended that the PCM reprogramming procedure be performed on all dealer stock of 2003 and 2003.5 MAZDASPEED Proteges prior to sale.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Reboot the WDS PTU to clear memory before reprogramming.
  2. Using WDS B27.4 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to "Calibration Information" table) by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure. NOTE:
    • Always update the WDS PTU first, then install the needed calibration file that WDS shows during PCM reprogramming. Go to "WDS Calibration" on ESI and download the "update" file. If the PTU is not updated to the latest WDS calibration level, the calibration file will not install into the PTU.
    • It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the WDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the WDS reprogramming procedure.
    • WDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.
    • Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of WDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.
    • When reprogramming a PCM, WDS will always display the "latest" calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
    • When performing this procedure, if the WDS PTU is not docked and connected to 115V-120V, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on the vehicle battery and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it will damage the WDS PTU.
  3. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present. NOTE:
    • If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.
    • After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to "relearn" KAM (Keep Alive Memory).
  4. Place an "Authorized Modification" label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97) with the new calibration information near the Emission Control Information Label located on the hood or in the engine compartment.
CALIBRATION INFORMATION

<TABLE border=2><TBODY><TR><TD> New PCM Calibration Part Number

</TD><TD> File name

</TD></TR><TR><TD> 3ALU-12A650-MC

</TD><TD> QOAP4C0

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

NOTE: The PCM Calibration Part Numbers listed above are provided for PCM reprogramming purposes only. These are not necessarily the same Mazda part numbers used to order an actual PCM through the Mazda Parts System. It is not necessary to order a PCM as part of this repair procedure.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:

• This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the SRT microfiche for warranty term information.
  • Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
<TABLE border=2><TBODY><TR><TD> Warranty Type

</TD><TD> A

</TD></TR><TR><TD> Symptom Code

</TD><TD> 08

</TD></TR><TR><TD> Damage Code

</TD><TD> 9W

</TD></TR><TR><TD> Part Number Main Cause

</TD><TD> MSP0-18-881

</TD></TR><TR><TD> Quantity

</TD><TD> 0

</TD></TR><TR><TD> Operation Number / Labor Hours:

</TD><TD> XX575XRX / 0.8

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MAZDASPEED PROTEGE - HESITATION UNDER ACCELERATION

Applicable Models

<TABLE width="75%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%">Model </TD><TD width="25%">Starting S/N </TD><TD width="25%">Ending S/N </TD></TR><TR><TD>[size=-1]2003 PROTEGE [/size]</TD><TD>[size=-1]00000000[/size]</TD><TD>[size=-1]ZZZZZZZZ[/size]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dealer Text

Symptoms and Conditions

Hesitation and/or intermittent stumble under acceleration.

All Mazdaspeed Protege PCM's should be reprogramed using the following
procedure.

Repair Procedure
1. Verify customer concern.

2. Using WDS B27.4 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest
calibration (refer to "Calibration Information"table) by following
the "Module Reprogramming" procedure

NOTE:
* Always update the WDS PTU first, then install the needed calibra-
tion file that the WDS shows during PCM reprogramming. Go to "WDS
Calibration" on ESI and download the "update" file. If the PTU is
not updated to the latest WDS calibration level, the calibration
file will not install into the PTU.

* It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM
reprogramming when the WDS screen prompts you to do so. You may
accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM
to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the WDS
reprogramming procedure.

* WDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.

* Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names
listed in any RI/Service Bulletin may change due to future releases
of WDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations
for service related concerns.

* When reprogramming a PCM, WDS will always display the "latest"
calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has
been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service
service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released
calibrations.

* When performing this procedure, if the WDS PTU is not docked and
connected to 115V-120V, we recommend that a battery charger be
installed on the vehicle battery and turned ON to a maximum charge of
no more than 20 AMPS to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If
you exceed 20 AMPS, it will damage the WDS PTU.

5. Place an "Authorized Modification" label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97)
with the new calibration information near the Emission Control
Information label located on the hood or in the engine compartment.

4. Verify repair.

NOTE: After reprogramming a PCM, it is necessary to road test
the vehicle to relearn KAM (Keep Alive Memory) strategy and
verify no MIL illumination or DTC's are present.

CALIBRATION INFORMATION
NEW PCM CAL. P/N FILENAME
3ALU-12A650-MC QOAP4C0 </PRE>

geeee, this wasn't aimed at me was it?!! :D
The link you posted is where I got the info about it after mass forum searches....thanks!
I really hate being new and bringing up "old" crap, I just really never got a good feel for doing it or not. I'm leaning towards it, based on the knowledge level displayed by certain individuals (alot of late night meanderings on here!!).
Do you have an opinion on flashing or not?
THE ECU THAT IS!! LOL
Thanks,
-Chris

I was one of the first flashed and the difference to me was night and day. Others are not happy with it at all. Mazda did not touch the true issue, which is a horribly rich condition, but advance timing. Advancing timing on a boosted car can be bad, but not at our stock boost level.

The sticky was not directed at you. :D Its the fact that the car is going into the hands of new owners and they need to be aware of this option if thier car is having drivability issues. :D

I heard if your planning on running more then stock boost or already are then it isnt good to reflash? Thats just what i heard which im probly wrong?

vxfilmer1000 said:
I heard if your planning on running more then stock boost or already are then it isnt good to reflash? Thats just what i heard which im probly wrong?

There are plenty of people on this board running 10+psi on reflashed PCMs with no problems. Those running over 10psi usually have some engine management, though. (Unichip, MPI, DSM's AFC, etc.)

Edge-
From the forum searches and the actual TSB on this, SUPPOSEDLY there is a sticker on or around your hood/engine compartment that shows it has been completed/complied with.
See #5 in the original thread posting.
-Chris

Last edited:
The sticker is usually under the hood or in the driverside door jamb area.

I thought plagiarism was illegal?

Without this thread I would've never gotten my car flashed. I went to the Mazda dealer cuz of a leaking exhaust manifold and to get flashed, they fixed the manifold but told me there was no such thing as a flash for this car. I told them they were wrong, and my service manager called my bluff. I asked if he had internet access and when he answered that he did I told him to pull us msprotege.com and I would direct him exactly where he needed to go to find all his info for it. He just kind of looked at me in awe when he saw it. He printed the thread and carried to the tech who had hardly NO idea on how to process the info. I basically had to sit there and guide him thru each step and ended up doing about 3/4 of the flash myself. Thanks for all the info!!! I would've been completely out of luck without this forum and this thread in particular. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!

OK so maybe you guys who have had the re-flash can enlighten me.

So I have a hesistation while accelerating and it happens right after I hit boost and shift gears. It's almost as if the car hits a rock and kicks backwards really hard and then gets going again. I'm curious if this is the effect of a non-flashed ECU because I bought the car used and am not sure if it was flashed by the previous owner. Thanks.

So if i go to my dealer they can flash my ECU? My msp isnt under warranty anymore so how much do you think it will cost?

ECU Reflash

Some of the mazda dealerships here in Charlotte are retarted, i had to school them on the "reflash", i finally got thru to them, a reflash will run you about $80, mine has to go in next week for the reflash, BUT, i'm running a Apexi AVC-R Boost Controller set to 10psi, Good idea or Bad idea?

I beg to differ with you^^^. It is a technical service bulletin. Look at it as some sort of recall. Granted you are not getting anything replaced, but it is vital to the longevity of your car. If there were a TSB out on wheel bearings or something, the TSB is set up to inform you that there is a problem with the wheel bearing, and that there is no permanent fix other than replacing them when they go bad.

I can't imagine that a reflash will cost anything, as it is correcting a problem permanently within the brains of the car.

I could be wrong...

The Flash is free only up until 50k because that is the mazda factory warranty, after 50k it's $80 :rolleyes:

Back