How to: Use 93-96 Mazda MX6 rear strut tower bar for a P5

ke20sprinter

:
Daily Driver Protege5
First, I know of 2 rear strut tower bars (STB) out there that are for the P5 (Autoexe & GTSpectoo expensive for me), so Im trying to go for the cheapest possible way (eBay bars!)& after looking at different pictures on eBay, I found one that fits perfect!!! The 93-96 Mazda MX6 rear strut tower bar.

So I took a chance and bid on the cheapest bar (including shipping) ~$22.

Things Needed:
-1993-96 Mazda MX6 Rear Strut Tower Bar
-Washers (5/8 I think)

Tools:
-Screw Drivers (to remove panels)
-Ratchet & 17, 14, & 12 mm sockets
-Drill w/1.5 hole saw
-Adjustable wrench (to tighten bar)

Extra:
-Painters Tape/Blue Tape
-Jigsaw/Cut off Wheel

Instructions:

1. Fold the rear seats down, & take apart the rear panels to expose the top perches of the rear struts (manual sec. 06-17-15).

2. Once the panels are removed, you can unbolt the seat belts from the back (17mm), by then youll notice the Seat Belt Bracket over the rear struts. You can either:

A. Remove the bracket completely and install the rear STB.
B. Cut the bracket to allow the bar to fit underneath the seat belt bracket.

I chose to cut the bracket because I use a baby seat sometimes for my daughter when I drive (the bracket is pretty thick and you are only cutting a small portion).

If you decide to take it out completely, I dont think it should be a problem. I think the Seat Belt Bracket is used to position the seat belt over the rear seats. Also, the rear seats hold the belt high enough not to rub the plastic cover where the belts come out.

3. Remove the 2 nuts holding the Seat Belt Brackets (14mm) & the 3 nuts holding the rear struts on both sides.

4. Place a washer on the center bolt to even the surface (It keeps the STB bracket from tweaking), & install the 2 STB brackets with the 3 existing nuts on each side.

5. IF YOURE KEEPING THE SEAT BELT BRACKET, continue, if not skip to part 6.

A. Put blue tape/painters tape on the seat belt bracket & place it on top of the bolted STB bracket.
B. Trace the area you are going to cut.
C. Use a jig saw or cut off wheel to cut your bracket.
D. Spray paint it to prevent rust.
E. Bolt it into place.

6. Remove the Rear Seat Locking Brackets (3 bolts each side, 12mm) that holds the rear seats in place and slide the side panels into place temporarily (this is where you mark your holes for the STB bracket). Using a 1.5 hole saw, cut your panels (Its about 15.5 from the bottom of the panel to the center of the STB).

7. Reinstall your Rear Seat Locking Brackets, seat belts (Seat Belt Bracket), & all your panels.

8. Adjust the length & bolt the bar on the STB brackets (you might need washers here to fill in the gap between the STB bracket & aluminum bar), twist the bar to tighten it & tighten the 2 nuts that hold the bar in place.

Enjoy!

WiL

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot...Pictures (sleep)

Attachments

• mx6 stb.jpg
    mx6 stb.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 596
  • first.jpg
    first.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 759
  • washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 552
  • test fit 1.jpg
    test fit 1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 566
  • bracket before cut.jpg
    bracket before cut.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 567
Here's the final product & installation without the plastic panels

Hope this helps.

WiL

Attachments

• cut bracket.jpg
    cut bracket.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 604
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,052
  • test fit 2.jpg
    test fit 2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 501
wow, that is awesome! Welcome to the forum, this is sweet! Got a link to that ebay auction or one like it?

Search ebay under "mazda mx6 rear strut bar" you don't need a year because it fits all mx6s...Found starting bids for .99 cents + $18.99 shipping.

WiL

the little green bar below your name on the left, thats your reputation meter, you have been getting + points for your rep with the write up.

Frank

01bluemp3 said:
sweet, im gonna have to see if i can get that to work in a sedan now.

welcome,

Frank

Judging from the manual, the bolt pattern for the rear struts are the same...But can't tell if anything may be in the way of the bar (i.e., trunk door arms, speakers, etc...).

WiL

im gonna have to just go get one and try, atleast we all know what bar will fit the top hat bolt patter now (rockon)

Yaggie1 said:
Nice job !! Do you notice much of a difference in the handling ?

Well I installed the STB about the same time as the Tokico shocks & MP3 springs...So I noticed a huge difference with the complete setup...I couldn't tell you by itself it has a difference in handling.

WiL

Now this is the stuff I come here for - useful information for our cars! Way to go, welcome, post of the month nominee...........

Back