CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMP needed..(a.k.a. My No-Headunit Carputer Stereo Project)

Donated: $15
    Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

Lightbulb AMP needed..(a.k.a. My No-Headunit Carputer Stereo Project)

Ok, so my Kenwood headunit went out last summer, and I have been without music in my car since then. This is sucking, and I want to remedy this soon. I am not putting a head unit back in my car, and plan to just run an amp. I'm gonna play dumb here so I can get the best answers possible.

What type of AMP do I need to power my stock MP3 Kenwood door speakers, and the stock sub? What are the specs of the stock speakers and sub in terms of how much power they can support? Is it true that the stock sub already has a built-in amp?

Also, as a bonus, I plan to run sirius right to my carputer via rs232 serial/USB. Here are some links about that:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59659

http://www.rush2112.net/

Any help you can give would be AWESOME oh experts of car audio..
    Performance Mods:[Steedspeed v2. Turbo Manifold] [Precision PTE CEA 5130 Turbo] [Pope 3-inch Downpipe] [Molnar Forged Rods] [Wiseco Forged Pistons (9.1:1)] [NSN Motorsports Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer] [Haltech E6X Stand Alone] [Haltech Boost Controller] [2007 WRX 565cc Dark Blue Injectors] [AEM UEGO 30-4100 Wideband O2 Sensor] [Vibrant 3-inch TurboBack Exhaust with Custom 3-inch mid Pipe] [ ACT Z66-XTSS Clutch] [Fidanza Flywheel] [Synapse Synchronic BOV] [AWR Motor Mounts] [PWR High Performance Radiator PWR1306] [Mazdaspeed Oil Cooler ] [Tein SS Coilover Suspension ] Other Mods: [Intel Atom-based Touchscreen Car PC] [Defi D-Series Boost Gauge] [Nordskog Digital Fuel and Oil Pressure Gauges] [Dave B. Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings]
    The things we own will eventually end up owning us one way or another....

stop honking I'm surfing Poseur's Avatar
    Donated: $20

03.5 Lsr Blue P5

As far as amps go, stock MP#, yes? I'm pretty sure those came with a bazooka of sorts, I'm sure 1sty will know. At anyrate, as for stock speakers, I believe the wattage rating would be around 60wrms, thatsaid, ANYTHING will work, and with much more than even 30, you'll likely be out-playing your subs capabilities. ALso, look into that pg o5.1 amp, it'll push everything AND has sub output as well, all in one easy package, thisway you could get true surround if you've got, or can manage a digital output.

sirius-wise, I know that while it seemed easy and everyone seeemd to say it was a no-problem kinda thing, actually connecting XM to my carputer was a PITA... I wound up just sorta stumbling around, trying diff settings, and eventually finally running the audiot input part of it directly to the mobo.
    Carputer work in Progress...
    Athxpmobile2200+, MSI kt6v-lsr MB, opus 150w dc-dc, 512ram, dvd/cdrw, bluetooth, wifi, XM...Installed and near-daily functional since 4/12/05

Audio:
    Eclipse CD8454 HU, 14g wire pulled to doors toreplace my quad vifa 4's. 3-way setup with kicker SS56.2component set in kicks and Kicker SSMB8 (8" midbass) in door Amps: Avionixx NXD2400M. AXA600.4, MonsterCable/Phoenix gold wires. Sound deadening/carpetpadding everywhere. 12" Eclipse 7324 Alum squeezed into a 1.2cuf f/g box Misc electrcal:Code PC70 2-way alarm (remotestart, windows, snrf) w/autoloc window modules wired for one-touch up all around, AC/fresh air defrost switch disabled. Blue&Red LED's for ac/defrost/fresh/recirc lighting. retained window/sunroof power, one-touch sunroof, 1sty's Groundwire kit, Optima Redtop Exterior:Yakima rack (I'm a bike/board geek it's necessity), '03 MSP wheels, Espelir springs, Protege5.com stickers, 20/30% tint, DaveB "Protege5" shorty Antenna, Simple bicycle co. stickers Protege Garage custom dex-made hood prop kit Interior:B&M short shifter w/shaundarbie shortshifter boot, Wet Okole neoprene seatcovers, DaveB's brushed finish instrument rings.

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

See, should have went with Sirus....

Not sure what you are referring to when it comes to pg o5.1 amp.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Car Audio & Southern New England Moderator

2013 CX9

pg o5.1? Me neither. pg is usually short for Phoenix Gold but I don't see a 5.1 amp on their website.

If your goal is not surround sound you can ditch the rear speakers and get a 3 or 4 channel amp. However, if you do want to go the surround sound route then you first need to decide if you are ever going to install a front center channel. If you don't, then a 5 or 6 channel amp will work nicely. The JL Audio 500/5, JL Audio e6450, DLS A7, DLS RA50, and DLS CA51 come to mind.

Now if you do want to power a center channel things get more complicated. I don't know of any 6 channel amps on the market that have 5 regular channels and 1 surround channel unless that is exactly what this mysterious pg o5.1 amp provides.

stop honking I'm surfing Poseur's Avatar
    Donated: $20

03.5 Lsr Blue P5

Sorry, it's called the R5.1MT, it's a part of the octane line. IT's in the books, but not often discussed seeingas I'd presume there are indeed very few setups capable of outputting a 5.1 digital surround signal Last time I spoke with our rep he kinda halfway knew about it, but really knew no details. Again, I'm entirely unaware of quality, etc, but for a carputer situation it may, indeed be ideal.

physically it loks very similar to the old TI series. listed power is only as max: 100x5 + 200x1. Obviously not going to be a super powerhouse, but should cover what's necessary for decent movie experiences. comes with 5.1 and "phantom center" 4.1 processing, 24bit ad/da converters, independant controls. VIdeo output for onscreen setups, independant testtone and setup ability. one optical, one coaxial, and 2 set of analog inputs. IR remote, and remote turnon. footprint: 10x6x2"

I just found it on their site in the manuals section
    ftp://208.187.38.55/Phoenix_Gold/Man...iers/octane_r/

I wish I had a price or availability breakdown, but I don't at the moment. Perhaps it's a bastard child that exists only in theory.

Oh, and as far as the XM thing, At the time I was doing this, there was not Sirius availability, Mostly I jsut kidna did it because it looked like it'd be a spiffy project, and I had that SAT radio button on my roadrunner that took me nowhere...
    Last edited by Poseur; 02-02-2006 at 07:13 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

SO to recap:

5 Channel would be ideal if I want to keep ALL my stock speakers in operation, and power my stock sub?

How many watts do I need? I don't understand any of this audio stuff yet, but am working on it.

2013 CX9

30-75w x 4 + 200-400w x 1 will suffice.

For example, the DLS RA50...
    http://dlsamerica.com/fstark/RA50.htm

The following shops in Texas carry DLS (you can not purchase them online)...
    Hector’s Tint & Alarm
    1391 W. Hwy 77
    San Benito, TX 78586
    T 956-873-0596
    F 956-399-8381
    hectorstint@aol.com

Innovative Rides
    11564 Cypress North Houston Rd.
    Cypress, TX 77429
    T 281-250-3380
    www.innovativerides.com

Visual Audio
    507 S. Hwy 87
    Orange, TX 77630
    T 409-886-2200
    F 409-886-2202
    Visualaudio507@yahoo.com

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

I picked up an Eclipse 5-Channel this afternoon. I can't exactly rememer the model number, but it will do the job. I also picked up a Sirius connect unit so that I can convert it for use on my carputer.

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

I believe the model I went with was the Eclipse EA3532.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LinuxRacr; 03-11-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

New toys OBTAINED!!

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

Everything is now installed accept for the Sirius tuner... My Sirius connect to RS232 PCB board arrives today!

2013 CX9

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

Soon. I was able to get the Sirius tuner working thru my carputer. For pictures, and an idea of the software I am using for my Sirius through my carputer, go here:

http://www.backpocket.com/sirius/
    Last edited by LinuxRacr; 06-17-2006 at 09:41 AM.

2013 CX9

Super Moderator

2001 Mazda MP3

A few

Here are some quick shots I snapped last night:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast