Thule roof rack on a sedan.

Canucker

:
01 Protege LX 2.0
Hey guys. I just bought a used Thule roof rack for my 01 Protege sedan. It was originally on a '92 Explorer with no factory roof rack. I checked online and at the local thule vendor and they are the same feet required, but I just need to cut down the bars and buy a fit kit.

Question...is this rack supposed to hook around on the top of the door with the clips or is it supposed to go where that piece of black trim is on the roof. The fit kit for the explorer mounts to the top of the doors and I can make it fit my car with a bit of bending. But if the fit kit will make it fit into that trim, I will buy that, because I think that looks better than having the clips on your door.

I assumed it would clip onto the door, but I saw a P5 on the way home and it had an aftermarket rack and it was mounted onto where that trim piece is, with nothing going to the top of the doors.

Anyone know for sure? I will mount it to the door if that is how it has to be, but if the fit kit will allow me to mount it to where that trim is, I'll fork out the $85 to buy the fit kit.

Thanks.

Back