Timing Belt

dcbeggs

:
3.5 Yellow MSP #1083
I'm pretty sure that Mazda recommends you change the timing belt on the protege (don't know if that's just MP3 specific or not) at 60k miles. Has anyone done this, had to do it, or recommend doing it?

I have done this. Its not all that bad. If you want to do it yourself, it takes about 3-4 hours if you are pretty good with cars. Dealers charge about 3 hours of labor for this.

You could probably go to about 80,000-100,000 before you really should change it.

I was thinking 60k was a little early but I suppose on the preventative end of things it's not a bad idea.

fixedspicylsd said:
I have done this. Its not all that bad. If you want to do it yourself, it takes about 3-4 hours if you are pretty good with cars. Dealers charge about 3 hours of labor for this.

You could probably go to about 80,000-100,000 before you really should change it.

60k miles is recommended. I did mine when I bought the car, easy job if you have done this stuff before.

60K is merely to inspect the belt. 100k is the required time to change it. I read over on ProtegeClub, an easy thing to do is to cut like 1/2-2/3rd of the belt, down the axis of the belt and remove it. You'll have a very skinny belt left on the pulleys. You then slide the new one on, and cut the last piece of the old one off, and everything should stay lined up.

Also, this is a good time to change your water pump.

dcbeggs said:
I have heard that too about the water pump. Is this a faulty part for mazda?

Not likely. Most people change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt because changing the water pump requires you to take off the belt so you might as well change it while you're at it.

DooMer_MP3 said:
60K is merely to inspect the belt. 100k is the required time to change it. I read over on ProtegeClub, an easy thing to do is to cut like 1/2-2/3rd of the belt, down the axis of the belt and remove it. You'll have a very skinny belt left on the pulleys. You then slide the new one on, and cut the last piece of the old one off, and everything should stay lined up.

Also, this is a good time to change your water pump.

oh my, that's an incredible tip! wow!

I have the timing belt and a new tensioner spring (stressed mine out when I was doing my cam install and trying to get the timing belt back on, car is currently holding together with a spring from lowes home improvement) sitting in my garage but I was unable to get the motor mount to budge when I was in there before. I'll have to go at it with the PB blaster and my air tools.

Does anyone know how much a dealership would charge for the timing belt install? I want mine to be replaced but it's nearing the end of the semester for me so I know I won't ever have time to. *sigh*

zverg said:
Does anyone know how much a dealership would charge for the timing belt install? I want mine to be replaced but it's nearing the end of the semester for me so I know I won't ever have time to. *sigh*

My local dealer in Orlando, FL charges $199.99 out the door for a timing belt change. I'm having them do the works though, drive belts, cam seals, water pump, all for about $550.

I don't think that's too bad considering Tire Kingdom wanted $500 just for the timing belt change!

ForesterES said:
My local dealer in Orlando, FL charges $199.99 out the door for a timing belt change. I'm having them do the works though, drive belts, cam seals, water pump, all for about $550.

I don't think that's too bad considering Tire Kingdom wanted $500 just for the timing belt change!

WOW! That's cheap! My sister got charged over 900, but to be fair it was a dohc V6

I had my timing belt changed at 96,000 miles by a local mechanic shop that a buddy of mine works at. They charged me $230. I also had them check my water pump since I also heard it would be a good idea to change if needed. They said the water pump looked good and had no signs of leakage.

bah I still feel bad that I'm considering letting someone else work on my car. It's not like I'm all knowing, I've broken things in the past working on my car. I just don't know if I can trust someone else to feel the love for my car as I do :p

Plus it hurts to pay that much when I could do it myself if I just had the time. bah. I'm not quite at 61k miles right now and when I last saw my timing belt (at 58,500) it looked fine so I think I'm going to wait it out and maybe get my oem intake cam repinned as an exhaust cam like some people have done on here. Then I'll have an excuse to do it myself because I'll be installing a performance mod :)

Wow. I wish I had known about this thread earlier. I just had my timing belt changed (it's at 59,600 mi) for $450 . And I don't even know how long I'm going to keep the car. Stupid move on my part. (bang)

RacerChick said:
Wow. I wish I had known about this thread earlier. I just had my timing belt changed (it's at 59,600 mi) for $450 . And I don't even know how long I'm going to keep the car. Stupid move on my part. (bang)

not stupid mel....just uninformed (that's what i say when i do stu... thnings!)
:)

Back