Vibration Help

BlueHen

:
2002 P5
I drive a 2002 P5 with about 35,000 miles on it that has a manual transmission and everything is still stock on it (living 2 miles from work is pretty sweet). Recently, my car started vibrating when I'm driving it at random times. It started out being not that often, and in the last week has progressed to more often. But there is still sometimes it doesn't do it. It doesn't vibrate when it's idling, the idle is still smooth. But when I'm driving there is a noticeable vibration. It could happen as soon as I take it out of park, or it could happen when I downshift or upshift. Any ideas what the problem could be and how much it would cost to fix it? Thanks.

Engine vibration? or steering wheel vibration?
BlueHen said:
I drive a 2002 P5 with about 35,000 miles on it that has a manual transmission and everything is still stock on it (living 2 miles from work is pretty sweet). Recently, my car started vibrating when I'm driving it at random times. It started out being not that often, and in the last week has progressed to more often. But there is still sometimes it doesn't do it. It doesn't vibrate when it's idling, the idle is still smooth. But when I'm driving there is a noticeable vibration. It could happen as soon as I take it out of park, or it could happen when I downshift or upshift. Any ideas what the problem could be and how much it would cost to fix it? Thanks.

My bad, just about the whole car shakes. It feels like a side-to-side shake. Sorry, I'm not much of a car guy. I hope this helps.

Do you have a CEL? Is it while speeding up, slowing down, while turning, while breaking? Have you had anything done to it lately? How old are your tires and have you had them rotated and balanced?

I don't know what a CEL is. The shaking of the car is when cruising at normal speeds mostly, but sometimes it happens no matter what I do: braking, accelerating, cruising, etc. And sometimes it doesn't shake at all. I just had the tires rotated like 2,000 miles ago. The tires are still originals since they are still holding up fine. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the alignment, but since I'm not a car guy, I have no idea really.

i would start with motor mounts and tranny mounts! (boom07)
BlueHen said:
I don't know what a CEL is. The shaking of the car is when cruising at normal speeds mostly, but sometimes it happens no matter what I do: braking, accelerating, cruising, etc. And sometimes it doesn't shake at all. I just had the tires rotated like 2,000 miles ago. The tires are still originals since they are still holding up fine. I was thinking that it might have something to do with the alignment, but since I'm not a car guy, I have no idea really.

It means Check Engine Light. But since you haven't said anything about any strange or blinking lights in your dash I would presume not.

Definetely check your mounts, as stated above. Tire pressure and condition could cause a minor vibration also.

It's going into the shop on Monday to get checked out. I just don't know enough about cars myself to handle this one. We'll see what happens. (yellowp5)

Snacks McGee said:
My car started shaking when my tire pressure was low. That's an easy one to check.

Did it shake all the time or just sometimes? Mine is only shaking sometimes.

You could have thrown a wheel weight causing your tires to go out of ballance. You could have a ripped motor mount, you could have a bent rim.

BlueHen said:

BlueHen said:
i had some big shaking when my rear motor mount went for the s**** so maybe you want to have them check that.

Back