Brake light coming on, wtf?

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5
For the past week or so I catch out of the corner of my eye that my brake light is on (in the gauge cluster, not the rear brake light) and it will come and go as it pleases. My brakes are pretty worn (44k highway miles) but I still stop fine. Does the light come on when I need to get new brake pads or is this something more serious? Thanks for any help, not looking forward to taking it to a dealer just to get the light checked out.

Mike

check your pads just to be sure you still have some life in them. But you can probably just top off your brake fluid and be fine.

if the level is fine. pull out your hand brake trim cover and make sure there is nothing abnormal around the e-brake switch. i found some quarters down there that kept setting mine off

Hmm...mine just recently started doing the same but the braking still works fine. I thought there was something on the brakes that made a screeching noise to let you know when the pads were low though.

My light just started going off at random when the foot brake is applied. I pulled off my wheels and it appears that I have very little pad remaining. The left, rear had the least amount of wear and the fronts are gone. 31K miles with daily stop and go rush hour. The rotors look great. I will get a quote from Mazda of Bedford (Clev, OH) tomorrow. Excellent dealership. What is a reasonable price for just pad replacement with OEM pads?

holy crap, a new issue that has never been addressed before. someone make this a sticky please!

Well, you more then likely need new pads. When the level gets low in the resivuoir (SP) it will flicker the light when it sloshes around. Dont JUST TOP OFF the fluid, fix the issue so you dont run outta pad and not stop. :D

I had the same problem. Just fill the resivoir and it will go away. The ebrake light is also the check light for low brake fluid.

Back