How-To: Fix KDC-919 (56k unfriendly)

Moeed

:
2003.5 Protege5 silver
Inspiration and cable help props to gillroe (msprotege.com) and my pops for letting me use his electricity :) Mods feel free to sticky or move.

For you guys with the msp kdc-919, you might have lived this scenario. Youre driving along and pull up to a light and this hot chick is next to you. So you decide to turn up that msp system to show her you mean business. But wait, whats this? Oh no, your head unit is stuck in this position.

DSCF0165.JPG

You go to reset, but alas the radio is fubar, and your hopes to score are gone. By now you are probably pissed off, and ready to chunk that radio. But hold on, there is hope.

<o =""></o>
[font=&quot]This is the how to on how to fix the kenwood KDC-919. I accept no responsibility if you have any problems or injury.
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->[/font]

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Procedure:

Unscrew the side screws and the top lid screw:

<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" style='width:387pt; height:290.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:DOCUME~1MoeedLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.jpg" o:title="DSCF0171"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->
DSCF0171.JPG

DSCF0172.JPG

DSCF0173.JPG

This is what you will see. So now there are two screws in the bottom side looking straight down.

DSCF0175.JPG

<!--[endif]-->

Last edited:
[font=&quot]Undo those screws and lift the cd drive up
DSCF0201.JPG

[/font] You will see two ribbon cables. Undo the clips and pull the cable out. The orange ones band goes around the connector. Set the cd tray aside for now.

DSCF0179.JPG

You will need to undo these two screws.
DSCF0180.JPG

[font=&quot]Unclip the motor cable on the side.
[/font]

[font=&quot]
DSCF0181.JPG

[/font]

Now the front motorized assembly should come out.

Starting from one corner, you will want to remove that black cover. Be gentle, it is glued down, so its not impossible to pull off, but it will give you resistance.

DSCF0183.JPG

DSCF0196.JPG

[font=&quot]Flip it over and unscrew the three screws on the face plate connector assembly.
DSCF0187.JPG

[/font] After all this, the cable is finally free and can be pulled out.

New vs. old.

DSCF0188.JPG

[font=&quot]
[/font][font=&quot]
[/font]

Last edited:
Now the fun part. Heat up your soldering iron and using the de-soldering wick, unsolder all 13 solder points. Afterwards, holding the cable in a way you wont get burned, push down on the connector pins with the iron against the cable, and they will start coming off.

DSCF0189.JPG

with your iron, scrape the pins clean.
DSCF0190.JPG

Now the best way I found to do this next step is to cheat. I put some solder on the new ribbon cable and then put the connector oriented correctly and heated the solder back up and got it to stick.
DSCF0193.JPG

DSCF0194.JPG

I applied more solder to those pins to verify a good solder was made.
<o =""></o>Assemble the face plate connector back on, and fish the cable through the black cover you pulled off earlier and up and around the rotating mechanism. There is a crease in the cable. It should be in close proximity to the rotating cable collector.

DSCF0198.JPG

[font=&quot]With a flat head screw driver, spin this gear towards you or away depending on how it is faced until your faceplate assembly is straight. Be sure to watch the ribbon cable and see how till will react to how it is placed.
DSCF0199.JPG

[/font]

Now start connecting the cables back in. Dont forget the motor cable and put the cd drive cable back in as well. Replace all screws and go test it out. If it did not work, double check your soldering (solder can bridge and
it will short so make sure you are careful), or the cable plug ins.

[font=&quot]
DSCF0200.JPG
[/font]

Enjoy that head unit, and next time you see that chick at that red light, blast her panties off.

Last edited:
For those that want to print this out, I made it is in word. PM me for a copy.

Now you don't have to take it to the dealer if it craps out. Enjoy!

Damn after all that I might just buy a new HU!!!!

I don't pull next to chicks and try to blast their panties off. If only sound systems were the answer....

CasopoliS said:
Damn after all that I might just buy a new HU!!!!

I don't pull next to chicks and try to blast their panties off. If only sound systems were the answer....

Its not as bad as it looks. If you have basic soldering experience, its nothing you can't do. I really took a lot of pictures to baby step it as much as possible. I would say it could be done in a total of 6 steps.

I still think that msp HU is not a bad unit. Add a aux input, and it is pretty decent imo.

Last edited:
thanks Moeed. I appreciate the How To Info...I'm Going to try it possibly this weekend. Thanks again.

Carm

Good tips. I might use this to fix my fiance's Clarion HU (the back light is intermittent because of a bad ribbon cable)

I have no soldering experience, but have plenty of stereo install experience. My kdc-x759 did this exact thing yesterday. Should I be able to do this fix? Where can I pick up the necessary equipment (mainly the soldering equipment)?

wow, just saw this thread now. great HOW-TO if you're willing to do it.

This should be moved to How-To or Stickied

I'm trying this fix out today after trying one auto electronic shop, 2 computer shops & 1 jewelry repair shop to do the soldering with no luck. I was making zero progress with a vacuum bulb to remove the solder, but I exchanged that for the wick today & I just got the plate connector off the old ribbon. Halfway there...

got her done...many thanks Moeed!!

only issues I had were not not knowing the technique for removing the cable clips and reassembling the upper right side screwside screw.

spent $30, instead of $200 for a new Alpine...
AWESOME...
(especially since rims are on the way that need some new tires!)
stereo1.JPG

Thanx!!!!

I was puzzled as to why my MSP with 15K on it had the display for the stereo go out...? WTF?! Was expecting to spend at least $200 on a new on, found this thread and $20 later have a fully functioning stereo again, can thank you enough!

Grest How to man !!! I just finished up fixing my Kenwood. Is this s perment fix or will the new ribbon cable mess up like the last one ?

Nice how-to. I did this fix about three years ago when my Kenwood headunit starting misbehaving (I forget the exact model). It was a total PITA to do, as I was living in a college dorm room at the time. I didn't have a bench supply either to test whether I fixed it, so I rigged up 8 C batteries in series to get 12v! Man was I happy when it worked again though...

Back