Black on Black?

Rickman

Contributor
:
91 NA + 09 Mazda5
Hey guys, I'm looking for some insight and opinions on some wheel choices. I'm about to sell my MSP's Racing Harts so I'll have a little money for this project.

What I want is something 15" x (7"-8"). I want something with a nice polished lip, and preferably a black middle (see attached pics).

So far Rota's seem to fit my requirements the best. I'm torn between and old school Mazda look (Rota GT3 & RB), and a simpler straight spoke look (Rota Flight or Grids).

If you guys know of any pics of these in a black on black set up please post them, or link them here.

Or would I be better off finding a set of the lightweight 15" OEM Mazda wheels and just painting them black in the middle?

Attachments

• 1761078_17_full.jpg
    1761078_17_full.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 1761078_18_full.jpg
    1761078_18_full.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 271
  • moroso-miata.jpg
    moroso-miata.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
rickman. i am in the same dilemma as you are.lol but i am gonna do bronze rota gt3 if i can find em. rota doesnt have many wheels in 15's that are more that 6.5 in wide. and if your miata has the sport brakes 15's wont fit. and i think some 15's wont fit with the regular 01+ brakes but i am not sure on that. i am torn between sticking with 16's or goin down to 15's still not sure what ima do. if i cant get the gt3 in bronze then ima go circuit 8 or 10 in bronze

Yeah, only the GT3's and the Track R's are 7" wide. I really like the Flight and the Grid, but I'm not sure I want to go to a 6.5" tire.

Subydude, Racing Lab ($500 shipped), and Serious Auto all seem to have the GT3's in stock.

I don't think my miata has sport brakes.

Last edited:
I like the way 15's look on the car better... especially if they're wider than 6.5". The car seems to have a better "stance" with 15's

I'm not 100% opposed to 16's, but my taste and budget point me at 15's more often.

-rick

hmmm well if ya get rotas in 15's before i get them i would like to see pics. another reason i am considering 16's more is my tires are very good and i could just trade tham to the new rims, but if you get the 15's with some decent tires. every pic of 15's i see they have 195/50 on them. i would like to see some pics of 15's on a miata with 215/50 or 225/50 i am pretty sure those fit on a nb miata

Yeah, I would likely go for 215 or 225 (still researching what's best). None of this will go down until I sell my RH's, but I figure I better start deciding what I want.

I think I'm liking the GT3's the best so far.

Attachments

• GT3black.jpg
    GT3black.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 169
  • mx5_shoot_12.jpg
    mx5_shoot_12.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of those wheels. They look too retro for them to blend with new cars. They'd look hot on your MR2 though!

chuyler1 said:
There is always the TrackRs too...

They were on my list, but I've decided against them.. They're a little too busy for my taste.

Quick photoshop of the GT3's:

Attachments

• mx5_rotagt3.jpg
    mx5_rotagt3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I have no opinion on black on black :p wheels look big in this picture due to perspective. 15x7 with a 38mm offset. Jax wheels, but they don't make them anymore. under 13# each :) I say get all black, with no polished lip.

35353140-M-1.jpg

hmmmm from that pic that green looks very close to the brg of my car. hmmmmmmm may have to think about those

found those green ones from subydude for 500 shipped in 16's, and i think i have enough space on my credit card.......dammit be good be good

The best price I've found on the black ones so far is at modacar for $480 shipped. But I'm not sure if that comes with all the little extras or not.

What tire size is best? According to the "super magic tire size thingy" the closest overall size matches are 195/55, 205/50, 215/45, or 225/50... I have no idea what to use.

standard replacement most of us use on a 15x7 is 205/50

Back