Any way to disable the horn when you arm/disarm the alarm?

if you click the button 2 times it makes the horn go, if you click it once it doesnt go, but why not have it honk this way you know that sucker is locked so no one robs you

beep beep

MightyMouse said:
Your horn beeps when you UNlock the doors?

Yes. Both locking and unlocking the doors makes the horn sound. Once to open, twice when I lock them. i tried holding the button down but it does not have the feature to arm/disarm silently.

By the way, I was VERY happy to see that, for some reason, my Mazda3 does NOT have that feature where you tap the ticker/blinker and it blinks automatically 4-5 times. I hated that feature and was so relieved when I realized mine doesn;t do that (rockon)

gidgey said:
Yes. Both locking and unlocking the doors makes the horn sound. Once to open, twice when I lock them. i tried holding the button down but it does not have the feature to arm/disarm silently.

By the way, I was VERY happy to see that, for some reason, my Mazda3 does NOT have that feature where you tap the ticker/blinker and it blinks automatically 4-5 times. I hated that feature and was so relieved when I realized mine doesn;t do that (rockon)

ticker/blinker? WTF?

What country are you in, because my alarm does not beep, unless I press the lock button twice, which is completly unnecessary.

MightyMouse said:
ticker/blinker? WTF?

What country are you in, because my alarm does not beep, unless I press the lock button twice, which is completly unnecessary.

I am in Orange County, California. Perhaps you've heard of it :)

Ticker...blinker...you know, the turn signal? Sheesh, give a gal some slack (poke)

I am discussing the mazda3 2006 models. Maybe the turn signal thing is a new thing (again, for some reason mine doesn't do it, thankfully).

And I don't know why the alarm that came with my car (came like this from the dealership) honks the horn once for lock and twice for unlock. Maybe my dealership used a different alarm system than most other dealerships, who knows.

MightyMouse said:
ticker/blinker? WTF?

i could be wrong, but pressing the button once locks the doors, while pressing the button twice actually arms the system <hence the horn>. This is a good question as I myself want to disable it so my friends stop making fun of me for having such a wimpy horn (they own beamers and audis that apparantly are too cool for horns).

gidgey said:
And I don't know why the alarm that came with my car (came like this from the dealership) honks the horn once for lock and twice for unlock. Maybe my dealership used a different alarm system than most other dealerships, who knows.
It sounds like your dealer installed an "alarm" system and that's what you're talking about. Not the normal disable system that is standard with the car.
Perhaps you'd better ask your dealer some questions? Or look for a "Delaer Installed Options" list from your original paperwork. Either way, the manual for my 2004 doesn't recommend putting an aftermarket alarm system in. This could be a point of contention should an electrical problem occur and void your warranty. I'd look into this one carefully, if I wuz U.

Last edited:
Sounds like the dealer installed an aftermarket alarm. Go back to them and find out what the hell they did. If it was my car, I would probably have it removed. I work as a dealer technician (sorry, not Mazda) and about 90% of all electrical problems with cars are aftermarket alarms and remote car starters...the other 10% are aftermarket trailer hitch wiring jobs. (boom07)

there *is* an OEM mazda alarm system for the 3, but it does NOT work like the way you described it... it works like everyone else described it, you press "lock" once and the blinkers just blink a few times, and if you press "lock" twice, it honks the horn once and blinks the blinkers also.... unlocking does NOT activate the horn under any circumstances

the alarm is FACTORY installed on the sp23 and grand touring models, all the other ones are dealer options

your dealer may have installed some stupid aftermarket alarm in your car

mmathias said:
This is a good question as I myself want to disable it so my friends stop making fun of me for having such a wimpy horn (they own beamers and audis that apparantly are too cool for horns).

Just get a better horn. :D

MightyMouse said:
Sounds like the dealer installed an aftermarket alarm.

Yes, they say it's for their own protection on the lot, and if I wanted it removed it might cause electrical problems, blah blah blah. And that it was in my best interest to keep it installed and pay for it, blah blah blah.

They did that on a Chevy Blazer I once had. And that thing had electical problems to no end, including the whacky alarm. But so far no problems at all with the Mazda3 S Touring, just the annoying beeps when I arm/disarm the car.

they're bullshitting about causing electrical problems if they removed it... they just don't want to admit or you finding out that they installed a piece of s*** alarm in your car

get them to get rid of it... there's NO way for any problems to happen if it gets removed since any alarm splices into existing factory wires anyway... when it gets removed, they just have to reconnect the wires (PROPERLY) and it'll be pretty much the same way it was when the car got off the boat

I would complain to Mazda Customer Service. I bet the dealer will remove the alarm pretty quick after that. Our cars all have immobiliser systems on them, are are VERY unlikely to be stolen without another alarm. If their lot is that unsafe, maybe THEY should do something about it instead of making YOU pay for their problem.

And I would DEMAND that my car be put back to stock with NO trace of aftermarket wiring being in there. If I was shopping for a used 3, I would not buy it if there was a cheap alarm wired into it.

Sorry, I really hate dealers that pull this kind of s***. It is like "Oh, by the way, we installed a $300 part on your car that you have to pay for, but you have no choice if we install it or not" :(

MiteyMouse said:
I would complain to Mazda Customer Service. I bet the dealer will remove the alarm pretty quick after that. Our cars all have immobiliser systems on them, are are VERY unlikely to be stolen without another alarm.
And I would DEMAND that my car be put back to stock with NO trace of aftermarket wiring being in there....
Sorry, I really hate dealers that pull this kind of s***... :(
I completely agree with MiteyMouse. Contact Mazda and let them know that your dealer is playing games with you and that you don't like it. Mazda has a strict policy of good customer service and if they find out your dealer is shady, there will be hell to pay.
Here's the link to call or e-mail them: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/contactMazda.action

all models have the immobilizer, but only the sp23 and grand touring models actually have a burgular alarm... meaning if a door gets opened while armed, the horn will go off... not so if you don't have that

Back