Is my Protege5 a 2002 or a 2002.5?

Tamryne

:
02 Black P5
It looks like a 2002 to me, but it has stock leather, which apparently started in the 2002.5 model.

And yes, it is an automatic, but I got a great deal on it, not that many miles, and fully loaded with all the options I could want!

401516335_l.jpg

401516508_l.jpg

Thanks!

You'll love it. AND, you have the first model year that was available! The original!
Tamryne said:
kk, thanks! I bought it a few days ago, and was curious as to which it was.

now that it has been established, let's mod that thing! here is what I recommend to everyone new or is probably going to modify. Just a warning. Once you start, you cannot stop....
Right after I got my P5, I got the intake. You can get a short ram intake (SRI), which is what I have. Others have cold air intakes (CAI) They are about the same on ebay, but you may also opt for name brand. I have the ebay...

The next thing I did was get rid of those god forsaken Dunflop piece of s*** stock tires. I hydroplaned within the first week or so I owned the P5. I ended up with the Yokohama AVS ES 100's. 205-50-16's on the stock rims. After 23000 miles, they were through, so I got aftermarket wheels, and Kumho Ecsta 711 205-40-17s. There are a bazillion threads about tires. These I highly recommend for rainy climates. (Bottom line, get out of the stock tires before you have a problem!)

I just got (after 2.5 years of owning my car) a Racing Beat exhaust. I got an insanely good deal on it. It is on the higher end of the pricing range, but you can score one used at a good rate if you are on the forum within the .245 seconds someone posts it for sale used. They run in the high $400 range new. There is a Mazda Sport (Mazdaspeed) exhaust which is also popular, but people have complained of droning, or an annoying sound at freeway speeds. The Racing Beat does not do that. But there are a bazillion threads about the exhaust subject too, look them up.

Then there is the tinting of windows, a stereo, springs/shocks/body kit, carbon fiber everything, etc you will see around here for sale.

Short shifter is next on my list. Kartboy makes a great one, I have seen it in person. The shifter bushings are a must. Get them no matter what. Huge difference in shifting!

I found by moving to synthetic engine and transmission fluids, I get better mileage, and it shifts smoother too. So easy to do, it is worth it.

One more thing you should consider when you mod is a header. OBX and Ractive are the most common. I just installed the Ractive, and love the HP gains. Be sure to look up the Spark Plug non-fouler trick for the 2nd o2 sensor. It prevents the CEL from coming on.

Well, good luck, and check out the for sale section, and work with the Authorized Venders and sellers! Oh, search for threads about a question you might have. Most likely, it has been covered.

Haha, yea. The CAI is first on my list of mods, along with a carbon fiber interior. Mines an automatic (unfortunately), so modding the hell out of it would be kinda funny. Id rather find a fun car farther down the road and mod everything I can. I also don't have much money to pour into the car at the moment, since I just bought it.

I dont know if it was a screaming good deal, but I got the car with 44k miles on it and all the options except the power seats for 11k. Its got stock leather in great conditon, ABS, side airbags, 6cd changer, sunroof, and cargo net. Its about what I wanted to spend, so Im happy. Plus, it has a really snazzy alarm that the previous guy installed (remote start/kill, standard alarm, valet alarm, and an alarm that goes off if someone pops the hood) which should be good for the area of town the car is going in to soon.

Now I just need a name for her, to round things out.

Tamryne said:
It looks like a 2002 to me, but it has stock leather, which apparently started in the 2002.5 model.

And yes, it is an automatic, but I got a great deal on it, not that many miles, and fully loaded with all the options I could want!

401516335_l.jpg

401516508_l.jpg

Thanks!

Thats an 02.5 to me, cause when I went to buy mine in 01 they didnt have an option for leather yet.

ENTENSE said:
Thats an 02.5 to me, cause when I went to buy mine in 01 they didnt have an option for leather yet.

They may have had them later than 01 for the early 02's. No side marker lights on the front fencers, earlier wheels, earlier cupholders, non-sportmatic tranny, and no tweeters where the side mirrors are mean it is an early 02.

i think that leather is a dealer option because mine is perfortrated(sp?)
ENTENSE said:

Back