Reset ECU for better fuel economy?

clicknext

:
2006 Tungsten Grey Mazda6 GT I4
First of all, happy new year!! =)

I bought my P5 used, and I was wondering whether resetting the ECU might result in better fuel economy in the long run, because I drive pretty granny-like, and I'm pretty sure the guy who had it before me drove more aggressively. Just wondering whether it's worth doing at all, or if it would only do harm.

I dont think it would help but hey no hurt in trying.. disconnect the ground.. get in your car tap the brakes 3 times wait a couple minutes and post your results

First of all, happy new year!! =)

I bought my P5 used, and I was wondering whether resetting the ECU might result in better fuel economy in the long run, because I drive pretty granny-like, and I'm pretty sure the guy who had it before me drove more aggressively. Just wondering whether it's worth doing at all, or if it would only do harm.

Did you ever do this? What results did you get?

The ECU 'learns' constantly. If you drive it for a day it's already adjusted. No real need to do it but like it was said, it doesn't hurt anything. If you are bored, go ahead. The adjustments are not mind-blowing either.

If you want better mileage or just want to make sure you take care of the car now that you've bought it then you need to do 'real' work to the car.
Try a nice tune up/freshening by replacing:
Spark plugs
Coils
Plug/coil wires
Oil and oil filter
Tranny fluid
Brake fluid
New Accessory belts
Check brake pads/rotors and lubricate slider pins
Coolant (thermostat may be cheap insurance)
Check alignment and tire pressure
Chassis lube job (all suspension bushings)
Even an A/C service to make sure you are 100% there too

That would be some starter places for you to freshen up, the rest comes down to timing belt, coolant hoses, vacuum lines, fuel filter, injector cleaning, struts etc.

A couple hundred dollars can go a long way to get your car up to snuff, but disconnecting the battery is free so go crazy.

Last edited:
yep really cant hurt but i dont see how it will help considering the ecu will be the same after a short while

I picked up over 10 MPG by resetting mine! (oh yeah, and i did a tune up and re-filled the tires, seafoamed the system, and drove less than 65 MPH for the whole tankful)

The ECU 'learns' constantly. If you drive it for a day it's already adjusted. No real need to do it but like it was said, it doesn't hurt anything. If you are bored, go ahead. The adjustments are not mind-blowing either.

If you want better mileage or just want to make sure you take care of the car now that you've bought it then you need to do 'real' work to the car.
Try a nice tune up/freshening by replacing:
Spark plugs
Coils
Plug/coil wires
Oil and oil filter
Tranny fluid
Brake fluid
New Accessory belts
Check brake pads/rotors and lubricate slider pins
Coolant (thermostat may be cheap insurance)
Check alignment and tire pressure
Chassis lube job (all suspension bushings)
Even an A/C service to make sure you are 100% there too

That would be some starter places for you to freshen up, the rest comes down to timing belt, coolant hoses, vacuum lines, fuel filter, injector cleaning, struts etc.

A couple hundred dollars can go a long way to get your car up to snuff, but disconnecting the battery is free so go crazy.

Oh noes!! You forgot Seafoam. It is the new duct tape. Seafoam your PCV(5-8oz in your PCV or brake booster line), then pour 5oz in your crank case(drive for 50 miles then change your oil and filter), and pour the rest of the can in your gas tank.

Seafoam plus the great information that Nomad posted will get you a huge difference in MPG. Don't forget your tire pressure!

Oh noes!! You forgot Seafoam. It is the new duct tape. Seafoam your PCV(5-8oz in your PCV or brake booster line), then pour 5oz in your crank case(drive for 50 miles then change your oil and filter), and pour the rest of the can in your gas tank.

Seafoam plus the great information that Nomad posted will get you a huge difference in MPG. Don't forget your tire pressure!

Ok, I have to ask...What the hell is seafoam?:p SOrry, I'm a noobie. Everyone seems to swear by it. I would have no idea how to put it in my PCV or brake booster line? SOmeone wanna tell me how to do that? I gotta learn somehow:p

Thanks!

Last edited:
+1 for Seafoam. Haven't used it in the Mazda but I do in my Nissan pickup. Friend told me about it. He used it in his Honda Accord and got over 300k on it.

P-Funk, what was your before and after mpg?

I was making the point that resetting the ECU doesn't do anything. (crazy)
Really, by just fixing the car and keeping the speed down is the only way to affect fuel economy...

Back