What install kit is this?

LTDScott

:
2002.5 Protege5
I just got a nice Pioneer head unit for xmas and now I'm trying to decide what brand install kit I should use. I like the Scosche/Best Kits unit (they appear to be identical) because they are one piece, but the pocket is small and almost useless. I like the Metra one because they pocket is larger and I could put my sunglasses or something in there, but it's just a pocket and from what I heard it doesn't fit very well (at least without the MSP brace behind it).

So I was looking on eBay and stumbled upon this:

86_1.JPG

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Anyone know what brand it is? Looks to have a smaller gap above the stereo and a larger pocket than the Scosche kit. Just like I want.

LTDScott said:
I just got a nice Pioneer head unit for xmas and now I'm trying to decide what brand install kit I should use. I like the Scosche/Best Kits unit (they appear to be identical) because they are one piece, but the pocket is small and almost useless. I like the Metra one because they pocket is larger and I could put my sunglasses or something in there, but it's just a pocket and from what I heard it doesn't fit very well (at least without the MSP brace behind it).

So I was looking on eBay and stumbled upon this:

86_1.JPG

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Anyone know what brand it is? Looks to have a smaller gap above the stereo and a larger pocket than the Scosche kit. Just like I want.

Either that is a Scosche or a good knock off. I had the Metra kit back in the day and I thought it was a big piece of crapola....the pocked kept popping out and sliding back into the dash. I switched to the Scosche...which looks exactly like what you have pictured...and it works great!!

I dunno... they look similar but not the same to me. Scosche vs. the other:

MA1537B.jpg
86_1.JPG

Unless some sort of camera trickery is involved, the pocket on the Scosche one looks smaller. And the other one has a rib on top of the pocket, probably to hold the head unit cage up (a problem which I read has been a problem with the Scosche units)

Ideally I'd love the MP3/MSP pocket and bracket, but I'm not paying $100 for them.

Ive used that one in my car. I can't remember the name on it though. Its pretty close to the scosche. The pockit is a little bigger, just be sure to use some contact adheasive glue on the pocket, mine fell out when an iasca judge was pushing on it. Other than that i have had no problem.

As with all dash kits for a protege, it still makes the stereo very easy to steal. Removal is a sinch with just a credit card...so feel free to use a little C/A glue on the tabs also.

I can't get the brand name on it right now...im in indiana, cars in a body shop in S. Fl

Joker_Fl said:
Ive used that one in my car. I can't remember the name on it though. Its pretty close to the scosche. The pockit is a little bigger, just be sure to use some contact adheasive glue on the pocket, mine fell out when an iasca judge was pushing on it. Other than that i have had no problem.

As with all dash kits for a protege, it still makes the stereo very easy to steal. Removal is a sinch with just a credit card...so feel free to use a little C/A glue on the tabs also.

I can't get the brand name on it right now...im in indiana, cars in a body shop in S. Fl

Too bad you can't get the mfr name for it. It doesn't look like any of the 3 major kits out there. But I'm glad to hear someone has used it. I might give it a try. Even with shipping costs added, it's still a pretty decent deal.

FYI it's American International's kit MAZ-K854. I haven't installed the stereo yet but just looking at it I like it. The center rib holds the stereo up and the pocket is actually a pretty decent size.

I did buy a wiring harness adapter from the same seller and it doesn't have the orange dimmer wires as advertised. Not happy about that since I'm going to have to buy another one that comes with the orange wires.

Another FYI, I installed the stereo with this kit and am very impressed with it. Fit great, no drama. I couldn't use the trim ring with the stereo, but that's what the stereo's ring is for. And the pocket is big enough to be usable.

And the wiring harness I got I believe is also American International, but there's no real brand name on it. It looks fine, but did not have the orange wire for illumination, so I can't use it and had to spend a lot more money for a Metra harness at Circuit City.

Back