Mazda5 winter rims and tires

pbv

:
Mazda5 GT
I've just got my GT Mazda5.

The genuine 205/50/17 all-season tires are not good in the canadian winter condition and the choice of winter tires for this size is also very limited.

I've an impression that the smaller size tires would be beter for winter
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126

Is anybody knows what sub-size rims and tires can be installed for M5 (something like 195/70/16 or 185/70/15)?

Last edited:
wongpres said:
P205/55/R16 is the OEM Mazda5 16-inch tire size (use this size in 16-inch)

Thanks for help.

Do you have any idea about something narrower? I would be glad to have 195/.../R16, but not 205/55/R16

I know that P205/55/R16 is a standard set for Mazda5 GS, and I plan to use it only if there is nothing a bit more narrow.

I'd stick with the P205/55/R16 tire size for 16-inch on the Mazda5 because that's the size Mazda uses.

Are there other tire sizes that will work, yes there are. There are tire size calculators on the web and as long as the percentage difference isn't too great you're fine.

the_saint is correct, the smallest you can go on the Mazda5 is 16-inch.

There are two rotor sizes on the N. American-spec Mazda3 (smaller one for the 2.0l and larger one for the 2.3l), and the minimum tire size is 16-inch for the 2.3l Mazda3. The Mazda5 does share rotors with the Mazda3, but it's the larger rotor size.

I've visited today Mazda dealership and they've confirmed 205/55/16 is the smallest and most narrow size of tires can be used with M5.

Last edited:
pbv said:
I've visited today Mazda dealership and they're confirmed 205/55/16 is the smallest and most narrow size of tires can be used with M5.

Yes, I thought about putting narrower tires on, but then realized this is primarily a VAN and worried about load rating of smaller tires being exceeded if we load up with cargo. The UPS man just brought me my Bridgestone Blizzak Revo 1's today (first) so I can't wait to get hold of the van itself now and hit the streets!

16x6.5 steel rims from Canadian Tire 4 @ $69.99CAD = $279.96CAD
205/55 R16 B'stone Revo 1's from TireRack.com 4@$104USD = $416USD = $490CAD
Shipping, duties, taxes on the whole shebang = $225CAD
Grand total $916CAD

Best local quote for same package $1289CAD.

I would have had wheels from Tire Rack or Mazda but both are out of stock.

Thanks, 5thAve,
I've closed my issue with winter tires (sun)
16x6.5 steel rims from Mazda dealer 4 @ $69.95 CAD = $279.80 CAD
205/55 R16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi 4 @ $175 CAD = $700 CAD
Plus taxes = 147 CAD

Total is: 1126 CAD

Winter Tires

heya

Glad u got the Hac RSI that tire package rocks. I have passed in the last week Snow, Rain & Ice. You should learn what the breaking point (when the car slides on a turn) for your comfort.

Once I discovered the ice breaking point I totally enjoyed the ride.

ZOOM ON

Zoom5Zoom :) :)

We now have 500kms (in very lousy and varied weather) on our Bridgestone Revo 1's. Love 'em. Best snow tire I've owned yet. I can give hearty recommendation to anyone looking for a quality tire at not-too-outrageous price.

FWIW I bought 4 16" 5 spoke alloy Mazda 3 wheels (64862) from ebay for my MY 2006 5 Sport and Dunlop Winter Maxx 205/55 R16 tires and have been extremely happy with the look and the result. I've got about 1000 miles on them now and they've been great plus the wheels don't change the look that much from the factory 17" alloys that came with it.

FWIW I bought 4 16" 5 spoke alloy Mazda 3 wheels (64862) from ebay for my MY 2006 5 Sport and Dunlop Winter Maxx 205/55 R16 tires and have been extremely happy with the look and the result. I've got about 1000 miles on them now and they've been great plus the wheels don't change the look that much from the factory 17" alloys that came with it.

Are Mazda 3 and Mazda5 rims interchangeable?

I am looking locally for OEM rims and I see many from Mazdas 3. I have not been able to find any Mazda5 oem rims.

Can I get a 16" set of rims from the 3 and used them for winter on my 5? Do I need to look for anything in particular?

Thanks!

All Mazda 3 wheels up to and including the '13 MY are direct bolt-ons to the Mazda 5. You shouldn't have any trouble going that direction.

Back