Protege Tune Up Buying and Service Guide

Bijou-MP5

Contributor
:
2010 Mazda3 S Hatch
I just wanted to share with everyone.

If you have better deals on any of following information then please let me know, I will update the information.

Spark Plugs -
  • Mazda NGK Spark plugs
  • NGK V-Power Spark plugs, where to buy?
www.protegegarage.com $1.50~$1.99 each​
  • NGK Iridium Spark plugs, where to buy?
www.protegegarage.com $5.00~$7.00 each (gains? personally I didn't really felt the difference)​
  • Bosch Spark plugs - Don't even think about it!!!
Spark Plug Wires -
  • MagStar 8.5mm double silicone MAGTAR Wires (red, yellow, blue), where to buy? Advance Auto Parts
Warning!!! Wires itself works pretty fine (confirmed by mazda techinician), however, bottom of the plugs wires(boot) gets easily seperated and you may need to use some tools to get it out from plug holes.. I used hanger and it was pain in the axx. So either stick with stock ones from www.protegegarage.com.
  • MAGNECOR 8.5mm Ignition Wires (red), where to buy? CorkSport
Coil Pack replacement-
  • If you have misfiring problem, even though you have replaced plugs and wires then check your coil packs.
  • I have searched and called every local stores near by me (Advanced auto parts (None), Autozone (back order), Napa (None), Car Quest (None), Oreilly (None), no one actually have them, except for mazda dealer.
  • Airtex (5C1208) or Standard Motor Products (UF-407)
  • OEM Coil Pack Choice 1 - Coil pack Boot (KJR118T08), One Coil Pack(ST8518100C) call your local stealerships for pricing
you can get them same day or next day. However, I was quoted about $130~180 for one coil pack from several dealerships. , unless you are really good friends with parts dept.​
Oxygen Sensor Replacement -
  • don't need to change them unless you have problem with sensor
  • You can either get universal type and splice the wires (about $30~50cheaper) or get OEM type for direct replacement
  • Where to buy? you can try your local stores
EGR Valve Cleaning or Replacement -
  • A lot of people have complained about the eratic idle the Protege sometimes gets when the clutch is pushed in and rpms are allowed to fall quickly. The idle will jump anywhere from around 200-1100. This problem seems to get worse when the car warms up. Either you can clean your EGR by yourself or replace the whole thing.
  • Or if you think your problem is not related to EGR then go to your local dealer and ask them to resetup your rpm to factory setting.
  • How to for EGR Removal and Cleaning, Rough Idle fix http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94788
  • EGR Valve Replacement [1], Contact Ken at Protegegarage for pricing, cheaper than most of your local dealers.
  • EGR Valve Replacement [2], Airtex #4F1432
Motor Oil Change - (YMMV)
  • I use Mobil1 Full Synthetic Blend 5W-30. they are about $4.99 from auto parts store or walmart. I use 4 bottles. However, I don't have garage to change it myself, so I usually take them to local shop and get discounts.
  • Also, you can buy oil filter from any store and get additional discounts
  1. Carx - oil change service $14.99 + your oil + disposal fee + tax, the total usually comes out $18
  2. Firestone - it's about same price as Carx, but I don't trust them, one time they swapped my mobile1 to their oils.
  3. JiffyLube - Full Sigunature Service $29.99 but if you have coupon, it's about $19.99 -$4.00 (if you bring your own motor oils), but they check everything besides just doing oil change, like cleaning your windshield lol, there was news about jiffylube scam, so be sure to check if they actually doing their work.
  4. Midas (maintenance package, oil change + tire rotatioin) - $34.99 - $10(if you bring your own motor oil) = $24.99 YMMV
Fuel Filter Replacement -
  • **the protege does not have a serviceable fuel filter, it only has the in tank fuel sock. And that does not need to be replaced (unless you have been pouring sand and mud into your gas tank) but mine was replaced by dealer, their service was written as fuel filter replacement. $69~89
Fuel Injection Cleaning - (YMMV)
  1. JiffyLube - $59.99 + tax (took them about 20mins to complete)
  2. Mazda Dealer - I didn't even bother to ask them about it
  3. Local shop -$59.99 ~ $130
Rotor Replacement - To improve your look and performance on your car.Coolant Flush - (YMMV)
  • Local shop - $40~60
  • JiffyLube - $49.99
Transmission Flush - (YMMV)
  • Carx - $94.95 applies to regular ATF fluid, other fliuds may be extra.
  • Jiffy Lube - about $40 for just draining and refill service, and about $100 for full flush using their flush equipment.
Timing Belt Replacement- (YMMV)
  • Dealer - about $270 for Labor and $100 or more for replacement parts (such as valve gasket, seals, timing belts but you can get bring your own parts to avoid massive part charge)
  • Mazdastuff.com - I think below parts are the needed during timing belt replacement. About $80 for parts + shipping ($7~10)
    FSY1-12-205 TIMING BELT $36.50
    FSD7-10-235 V/C GASKET $24.38<script><!--D(["mb","
    \n\nFS01-12-711 TENS\nSPRING* ****$2.94
    \n\nFS05-10-602A CAM OIL SEAL ***$6.19 each (2x) $12.38
    \n\nFS02-10-602 CRANK OIL\nSEAL $6.19
    \n\nShipping by UPS ground to\nIowa $7.00
    \n\nTotal $89.38
    \n\n*
    \n\nYou can order those by\nreplying to this email. I will need a shipping address, a daytime phone number,\nand credit card info. You can call me toll free at (877)967-6884 with the\ncredit card info, but please put the shipping address in an email reply.
    \n\n*
    \n\nThanks, Richard Arndt in\nParts at Mazdastuff.com
    \n\n<div>\n\n\n\n<hr size\u003d\"2\" width\u003d\"100%\" align\u003d\"center\">\n\n
    \n\n<b>",1]);//--></script>
    FS01-12-711 TENS SPRING $2.94
    FS05-10-602A CAM OIL SEAL $6.19 each (2x) $12.38
    FS02-10-602 CRANK OIL SEAL $6.19

[*]when you change them it is good idea to change drive belts and water pump as well.
    [*]Summit Racing - www.summitracing.com (thanks to GhostLinker)
    GTR-4040360 $9.99 power steering / water pump
    GTR-4050457 $11.69 alternator and A/C
    GTR-40228 $30.39 timing belt
Wheel Balancing or Alignment - (YMMV)

• [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]Carx - Wheel balancing $7 for each wheel, Alignment $59.95 for 4 wheels and the steering wheel, adjust camber, caster and toe.
    [*]Dealer - Wheel alignment, about $89.99 YMMV
    [*]Sears Auto - Wheel balancing, if you have wheel size greater than 16" then they will charge you extra, I have 17: and it was about $12~14 for each wheel. But, they do offer lifetime warranty, so whenever you feel like to get it done again, it's free.
    [*]Sears Auto - Wheel alignment, $59.99 but they don't offer warranty if your car is lowered.
*Don't forget to ask Ken at www.protegegarage.com for Mazda or aftermarket parts.(thumb)

Last edited:
How about a coolant change? Suggestions? How much coolant? What type of coolant?

capnsavem said:
MagStar 8.5mm double silicone MAGTAR Wires
hmmm... never heard of these... but for info here's the site i found:

http://www.wiretec-ignition.com/prod05.htm

I never heard of them either until i went to advanced auto parts online store.
It was cheap replacement and 8.5mm same as magnecor, so I wanted to try one. so far, I don't have problem with them.

Bijou-MP5 said:
I never heard of them either until i went to advanced auto parts online store.
It was cheap replacement and 8.5mm same as magnecor, so I wanted to try one. so far, I don't have problem with them.
ooh you have? pics por favor?

Bijou-MP5 said:
I'm replacing one of my coil pack tomorrow, so I will take pics and post them here tomorrow. :)

Two things to look out for:

1. When you pull up the coil pack do so slowly. If the boot is split it may come all the way up to the top of the hole where you can grab it with some needle nose pliers before it falls off and back down the hole. If the boot isn't broken it still helps to get a finger on it so that it doesn't pop off - it's a pretty tight fit. But don't use the needle nose pliers if the boot is ok, because it won't be afterwards. I know you think the coil pack is bad but it may still turn out to be something else, so try to preserve the coil if you can. If all that fails and the boot goes down the hole (or stays down there) break out a wire coat hanger and a vacuum cleaner and follow the instructions here:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123616443&highlight=harpoon

2. Don't tighten down the two bolts that hold the pack too much. They are only spec'd for a few lbs-feet of torque, in fact the manual gives the torque in lbs-inches. One of the bolts on my car made a nasty noise as if it was stripping, but it's still in there tight when I shake it by hand, so I have not dealt with it yet.

If the boot isn't broken swapping the coil takes less than 5 minutes.

chris/bijou....

come on man, you know where you can get all this stuff for a good price :D

pasadena_commut said:
Two things to look out for:

1. When you pull up the coil pack do so slowly. If the boot is split it may come all the way up to the top of the hole where you can grab it with some needle nose pliers before it falls off and back down the hole. If the boot isn't broken it still helps to get a finger on it so that it doesn't pop off - it's a pretty tight fit. But don't use the needle nose pliers if the boot is ok, because it won't be afterwards. I know you think the coil pack is bad but it may still turn out to be something else, so try to preserve the coil if you can. If all that fails and the boot goes down the hole (or stays down there) break out a wire coat hanger and a vacuum cleaner and follow the instructions here:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123616443&highlight=harpoon

2. Don't tighten down the two bolts that hold the pack too much. They are only spec'd for a few lbs-feet of torque, in fact the manual gives the torque in lbs-inches. One of the bolts on my car made a nasty noise as if it was stripping, but it's still in there tight when I shake it by hand, so I have not dealt with it yet.

If the boot isn't broken swapping the coil takes less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the notice. I have pulled out the coil packs several times but never had problem with boot, but after reading your thread, I will be more careful when I pull them out again. ;)

Captain KRM P5 said:
chris/bijou....

come on man, you know where you can get all this stuff for a good price :D

oops~ I forgot my best resources, protegegarage.com (thumb)

i just put a tune up package together for a member here so just let me know what components you want

Captain KRM P5 said:
i just put a tune up package together for a member here so just let me know what components you want

Can you tell me what was included on tune up package? so I can update them on list

the protege does not have a serviceable fuel filter, it only has the in tank fuel sock. And that does not need to be replaced (unless you have been pouring sand and mud into your gas tank)

Aricjm15 said:
the protege does not have a serviceable fuel filter, it only has the in tank fuel sock. And that does not need to be replaced (unless you have been pouring sand and mud into your gas tank)

thanks aric, I have updated the information.
When I asked local mazda dealer how much was to replace fuel filter for protege5( cause I thought we have serviceable fuel filter), they told me $69.99, I guess either they are talking about other cars or they don't know sh_t.(boom07)

Last edited:
Rockauto - Airtex is usually in stock and Standard Motor Product is currently on back order from the manufacturer. Just an FYI. Took two days to ship.

Spark Plugs:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1387447&parttype=7212

O2 Sensors:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1387447&parttype=5132

EGR Valve:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1387447&parttype=4968

Mr-Auto-Parts - Rotors: (Brembos for $40)
http://www.mr-auto-parts.com/epcvso...0@@Front+Discs+&+Drums&clientid=mr-auto-parts

(cheers)

Back