'94 infernal frt bearing/hub problem...

Multiades

Just bought a '94 protege with various front brake/noise problems that I did manage to diagnose the source of. Basically, the left hub has some nasty runout which makes braking feel like a severely warped rotor.

The problem: I disassembled the left front hub and it came apart pretty easily. I absolutely CANNOT reassemble it. The hub appears to press-fit to the inner wheel bearing, but hammer as I might, it won't go in. Thinking the problem was one of alignment, I removed the cv axle from the hub and disconnected the spindle from the strut, then rotated it around to have access to the backside. I lined up the hub with the bearing and tried all different ways to force it in, none of which worked. I've discovered that the bearing appears to float around in there a bit, but I seem unable to remove it. Guessing it comes out the back, but the seal is in the way and it didn't come out, even from hammering on the hub with the hub inserted into the bearing.

This is very frustrating, to say the least. Having to work on it in below-freezing temperatures is no help. (pissed)

I know I'm going to be replacing a few of these parts (ALL of the seals, both bearings, the hub) when/if I can find them for a reasonable price from a dealer.

-Chris

P.S. If anyone knows where I can find a free service manual online (would get the Haynes or Chiltons, but they're pretty useless), please let me know.

Last edited:
were you ever able to fix the problem? i am about to replace the bearings in my hub - 93 protege LX - ? how hard was it to get the bearings out? you usually need a pneumatic press for this type of work....

This is REALLY old, but incase you guys still need help. You need to remove the knuckle from the car. You then need to press out the hub from the backside to the front. There is a large snap ring holding in the bearing that needs to be removed first. Heres the part that sucks, when i pressed it apart one of the bearing races stayed on the spindle and i had to machine it off because there is no way that i could see to press it off. If you want, ship me your knuckle and bearing set and i can do it for you. Takes about a half hour once its off the car including machining.

I just replaced my whole front end. Luckily, I work at a fabrication shop so we have a press and all the tools i'd ever need to do any thing. My bearing race stuck on the spindle too. I heated it up (you don't have too) but just take a hammer and a chisel, and tap between the race and spindle. Remember to keep going around the race so you don't get it wedged crooked on the spindle. This takes quite a while to get it to move a little bit, but it SHOULD move, mine did. Once you get it out a an 1/8th of an inch, it's pretty easy from there.

When i did mine i tried EVERYTHING before machining. I tried heat, didnt work. Then after a bunch of other stuff i tried grinding notches into the race and using a puller, and broke the puller. lol. Machining only took 15 min a peice so i was pissed i didnt do that in the first place.

92LX said:
I just replaced my whole front end. Luckily, I work at a fabrication shop so we have a press and all the tools i'd ever need to do any thing. My bearing race stuck on the spindle too. I heated it up (you don't have too) but just take a hammer and a chisel, and tap between the race and spindle. Remember to keep going around the race so you don't get it wedged crooked on the spindle. This takes quite a while to get it to move a little bit, but it SHOULD move, mine did. Once you get it out a an 1/8th of an inch, it's pretty easy from there.

Back