starting issues

ZoomZoom03

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
ok not sure if anyone else is having this porblem, but recently whenever i go to startup my car i am having trouble getting it to turnover. i put the key in and turn and it takes a good few seconds to catch. u can hear the engine trying and the lights are dimming, im always scared the car is not gonna start and that would suck. i just recently replaced my battery with an Optima red top 35, plus i have a voltmeter - so it doesnt appear to be the battery unless i am missing something. hope someone can help me with this, thanx in advance. (eek2)

SkinnyJoint said:
im sure its pretty cold up there are you sure its just not having a hard time start due to this

thats kinda what i thought too, but wasnt sure if that was accurate. does anyone know of tips to ease cold start ups??

Having the same problem here in Cleveland! Geeze... my old '92 Sentra cranked right over no matter how cold it was!
ZoomZoom03 said:
thats kinda what i thought too, but wasnt sure if that was accurate. does anyone know of tips to ease cold start ups??

does anyone know of tips to ease cold start ups??

Heated garage, engine block heater, 5w-30 oil, wd-40 everything electrical.
I think that in the extreme cold, the internal resistance of a battery increases, so it actually is a lot harder to push the required current, but I'm not an electrical engineer, so that could be BS. Also, the engine oil will be more viscous, so just turning the engine over will require a load more current, too.

Basically, the only thing that'll work is to keep the thing warm in a garage! :)

I know that in the cold, batteries don't give as much current, but not sure if the electrical part is really the problem because I think the batteries would be designed to be sufficient even in freezing temps.

I've noticed mine takes a bit longer to start now, though not that much longer. My family's 2005 dodge caravan, barely past half a year old, had trouble starting yesterday. Sad.

Is your battery a deep-cycle kind? These are in fact designed to handle repeated, heavy discharging (eg when running a large aftermarket stereo system etc), and may not actually be as efficient as a "regular" battery for starting, which are designed for "SLI" - (Starting, Lighting, Ignition) to be able to produce a lot of current for a short period.

The batteries are pretty damn small. Most people get a new, larger (more CCA) battery and don't have any issues. My car won't tuen over for s*** in this cold. I'm just too cheap and don't give a s*** to actually do anything about it.

Turn on your headlights for 10-15 seconds before turning it over. This gets the juices flowing in the battery without drawing much from it.

AlbNYPR5 said:
Turn on your headlights for 10-15 seconds before turning it over. This gets the juices flowing in the battery without drawing much from it.

never thought of that!

It's been getting down to between 10 and 20 degrees here at night and getting up to high 30's, low 40's during the day. I currently have Castrol Syntec 10w-30 in the car but it needs an oil change. I know I'm not in freaking Minnesota or anything but should I switch to 5w-30 until spring??

AlbNYPR5 said:

i have HIDs though, wont that drain alot more than a regular headlight bulb would??

Moonman8 said:
never thought of that!

It's been getting down to between 10 and 20 degrees here at night and getting up to high 30's, low 40's during the day. I currently have Castrol Syntec 10w-30 in the car but it needs an oil change. I know I'm not in freaking Minnesota or anything but should I switch to 5w-30 until spring??

I believe 5W-30 is what the factory calls for year round.

paranoidxe said:
I believe 5W-30 is what the factory calls for year round.

The service manual (not the owner's manual) says this:

Engine oil viscosity:
Above 25 C {13 F}: SAE 10W-30
30 C37 C {22 F98 F}: SAE 5W-30

The summers here can reach a bit over 100 degrees, so I don't want to be running 5w-30 in the summers since it's only recommended up to 98 degrees.

What I'm asking is if 5-20 degrees at night and 30-40 degrees during the day is cold enough weather to warrant 5w-30?

If I don't really have to switch but I can if I want, would using 5w-30 help with cold starts, smoothness when cold, etc?

Last edited:
I use 5-30 in the winter here in Vegas and 10-30 in the summer, at 117 degrees outside in the summer you can't go too thin. Royal Purple all the way, best oil in my opinion.

Back