Engine Rebuild Specs

low_psi

Contributor
:
ms|slowtege #399
I'm trying to gather specs to compile a database for rebuilds. I know xelderex(sp?) has quite a few torque specs already, but bearing tolerances is something that no one has really elaborated on. Turfburn's journal mentions a few, which I assume were the final tolerances.

I need to snag a manual with OEM specs for comparison to the different tolerances most people are running.
(rockon)

Since you're doing an engine teardown and rebuild, you really should invest in a shop manual. There are a lot of torque and clearance specs that would need to be listed otherwise. It's quite handy to have on hand for other projects as well.

not much info on the shop manual for the p5/protege 2.0L.

The Chilton from the MAZDA 626, Ford Probe and MX6 have everything you need.

You can download the service manual and the parts catalog from this website:

Link

Here is another online resource that is identical to the shop manual:

Link

I realize having a shop manual is required. This thread was created to gather the specs people have used that don't match OEM specs.

I'll have to check out that first link when I get home, thanks Moonman. I wasn't aware there was anything out there other than protege5ugly.net(rockon)

there is also a specific engine rebuild manual available that has ALL the specs in it.. but I don't have a link or more info at this point (and I'm really tired so I'm not thinking straight as I'd like)

Turf, please post your final tolerances/specs you used in your build. Apparently people are missing the point of this thread...

Piston to cylinder clearancing with 10 thou overbore CP pistons: 3.5 thousandths
Rod to crank bearing clearance (Big End)- Stock
Crank to Mains clearancing: 1.8-1.9 thousandths
First Ring Gap: .020-.022"
Second Ring Gap: .024-.026"

There you go!

It was a high temp/reliability type decision. The reduction in performance was/is minimal. Likely saved my ass once too because I had a coolant dump occur racing and had no coolant... engine survived without issue. That was pretty much the manufacturer recommendation as well.

ah ok. Not to menchion with boost you can just keep turning it up till the desired outcome is reached. However I will be running N/A with higher compression. So every bit counts. You think .018 and .020 is too small in a .050 bore?

Also you still tuning Microtec for moneys??

Back