Hard Start in Cold Weather

markus3

I have a 2005 2.3 that seems to sputter a tad during start-up. It only happens after being parked over night when cold (winter is here). I saw a TSB that said check for fouled plugs ("from stop and go driving"), and check the fuel pump for some blockage. The problem is either one or the other.

Ok, so what if there is no blockage, why are the plugs fouled? If they are fouled, then what? Tell the driver to avoid traffic? Sounds like a cover up.

Is this issue usually related to the fuel pump? Anyone have this issue? It doesn't take 10 seconds to start or anything, but it does sputter for a second, then fires up no problem. Only 12,350 miles, if it's the pump, I need to get it fixed ASAP before I get stuck! And why is this only occuring in the cold?

Thanks all!

markus3 said:
I have a 2005 2.3 that seems to sputter a tad during start-up. It only happens after being parked over night when cold (winter is here). I saw a TSB that said check for fouled plugs ("from stop and go driving"), and check the fuel pump for some blockage. The problem is either one or the other.

Ok, so what if there is no blockage, why are the plugs fouled? If they are fouled, then what? Tell the driver to avoid traffic? Sounds like a cover up.

Is this issue usually related to the fuel pump? Anyone have this issue? It doesn't take 10 seconds to start or anything, but it does sputter for a second, then fires up no problem. Only 12,350 miles, if it's the pump, I need to get it fixed ASAP before I get stuck! And why is this only occuring in the cold?

Thanks all!
Yea I noticed my car doing the same thing (I have the same car as you and almost the same mileage). Currently my check engine light is on and I had mazda replace the fuel pump just yesterday. I'm going to take it back to mazda this weekend so they can fix the problem.

it can't hurt to change the plugs. besides if 10 dollars worth of spark plugs fixes the problem wouldn't you be happy?

Ive been having the same problem here in CO. the last few days have been really cold, and notice my car was sluggish starting in the mornings.

markus3 said:

Thanks all!

Try turning the key part way. You'll hear a whining sound. Wait until that sound stops and then turn the key all the way to start the car. This seams to have helped on my car.

I have noticed a similar occurence in my car, but it is a 2006 S Hatch 2.3L 1-month old, less that 1,500 miles.......

It has been doing it only in the last couple of days, and only when I leave from work in the evening, at home I keep the car in the garage. Temperature these days has been around 20 F in the evening here in the Boston area.

It takes only maybe half as second more than normal, though, I do not know if it should really be reason for concern. I can't even say the car sputter, the starter just cranks for a little longer and than the engine starts as usual.

Could it rather be the battery? Chemical reactions and cold do not go along well....

It all sounds normal to me. If the weather gets cold enough, the battery will be affected. Hence affecting start up. Have you guys ever experienced when a car doesn't start because of the cold?

It isn't battery related. The cranking isn't the issue, it's the firing up that is the issue.

I don't have a check engine light on (yet), so maybe I'll just keep driving and see what happens. It's not a big deal, but it shouldn't happen on a new car. I would expect slower cranking in the cold, but not strange firing up / ignition in the cold......

markus3 said:
I would expect slower cranking in the cold, but not strange firing up / ignition in the cold......

Good description. Mine's doing it, too. It's like you turn the key and it goes

*crank, crank, THWAP, crank, fire*

It's weird.

mobomelter said:
hmm my car is doing this too. guess i'll have to try changing the plugs first.

What is changing the plugs going to do? If they are fouled, then it'll just happen again. Changing the plugs won't fix the problem.

What oil are you guys using? 10w30 or 5w30? 10w30 is better for warmer weather and 5w30 is better for colder weather.

Im using the factory weight. This wouldn't have any effect on ignition / combustion. It could play a role in slow cranking however.....

Yep slow cranking was what I was hinting at. Maybe I misunderstood what your problem was.

markus3 said:
What is changing the plugs going to do? If they are fouled, then it'll just happen again. Changing the plugs won't fix the problem.

We are replacing the plugs with a set with a hotter heat range. It seems to help quite abit. This helps prevent the carboning up that has happened with cars running alot of city driving.
The fuel pump thing isn't the fuel pump not working. It's simply a pressure retention valve that gets stuck open with debris allowing fuel to come back to the tank after shut off. This creates a little longer start-up time because the fuelpump has to build-up pressure.

BlkZoomZoom said:
We are replacing the plugs with a set with a hotter heat range. It seems to help quite abit. This helps prevent the carboning up that has happened with cars running alot of city driving.
The fuel pump thing isn't the fuel pump not working. It's simply a pressure retention valve that gets stuck open with debris allowing fuel to come back to the tank after shut off. This creates a little longer start-up time because the fuelpump has to build-up pressure.
hey would you mind pointing me to the brand and model number of those plugs? thanks!

how cold does it drop overnight.
have you tried keeping the gas full with a bottle of drygas or the like ?
could be slushy gas in the line.

SIBalla23 said:
What oil are you guys using? 10w30 or 5w30? 10w30 is better for warmer weather and 5w30 is better for colder weather.

The factory recommended oil for year-round use in the Mazda3 is 5W20 semi-synthetic. 5W30 might be an acceptable alternative but you should never use 10W30.

Hmm, Hey BlkZoomZoom, do you work for Mazda or something? Who is "we" are changing to hotter plugs? Thanks for the info.

Back