Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
i1cz0n.gif

i1cw07.jpg

Double Take: 2006 Pontiac Solstice VS. 2006 Mazda MX-5

Roadster Rage: Pontiacs Solstice takes dead aim at Mazdas MX-5 Miata

Published Date: 11/28/05

Almost from the minute General Motors unveiled the Pontiac Solstice concept at the 2002 Detroit auto show, comparisons to Mazdas Miata started being bandied about by the media and in Miata owner forums on the Internet. And why not? The Miata, well into its second decade, has become the benchmark by which all entry-level two-seat sports cars are measured.

At our first drive of the Solstice earlier this year, Pontiac engineers readily admitted their car would be closely scrutinized alongside the new MX-5 Miata, and they welcomed the comparison. Because Mazda launched the new version of its two-seater around the same time the Solstice made its debut, no one from Pontiac had a chance to compare the cars against each other.

But we had an opportunity to take both roadsters to the test track and have at it. Read on. The results might surprise you.

For the money, both the Pontiac and the Mazda bring a lot to the roadster party. Solstice has the now-famous base sticker price of $19,995, while the Miata starts at $23,495. The Miatas standard equipment list is longer, as its only option is a sports suspension that pushes the sticker to $23,995. The Solstice is loaded, and stickers at $25,000.

If all we did was judge a car by its looks, the Solstice would win hands down. The Miata is cute, in a British roadster sort of way, but the Solstice, with its rounded curves and bulging fender flares, is just plain sexy. Plus, it doesnt look like anything else on the road.

GMs Wilmington, Delaware, assembly plant is ramping up a third shift to meet demand for the Pontiac (and for its Saturn and Opel siblings), but few Solstices are in the hands of owners yet. Driving one causes a stir, as we found out on our way to the test track. Even in car-rich, automobile-jaded Southern California, several vehicles on the freeway slowed to take a good look at our silver car, one driver pacing us for miles to take it all in. When he finally passed us, he saluted the Solstice with a thumbs-up.

We began the test with some preconceived notions about these two cars. Building an economical two-seater is fresh territory for General Motors (Corvettes are in a different league, and the less said about Fiero, the better), so we fully expected the Miata to be the front-runner at the track by large margins. Mazda has been building this roadster for 16 years, with three generations under its belt to get things right.

Both cars are powered by four-cylinder enginesa 2.4-liter in the Pontiac and a 2.0-liter in the Mazdabut the Solstice weighs 362 pounds more than the Miata. The Pontiac makes a bit more power177 hp to 170 hpbut would that be enough to compensate for the Solstices weight disadvantage?

As noted in our introduction story on the Solstice (What a Concept, Aug. 29), the newest addition to the Pontiac line has been the hot project within the company since it was given the production green light. Engineers on the project knew they would have but one chance to get the car right; they couldnt release a half-baked version and hope to improve it in subsequent model years.

Following our tests, we would say they succeeded in getting Solstice right.

Performance-wise, the two cars are about as closely matched as they come. The Solstice posts a 6.94-second 0-to-60-mph time, while the Miatas best time is 7.04 seconds. The Miata wins the quarter-mile ET at 15.43 seconds to the Solstices 15.50 seconds, but the Solstice runs just a bit faster at the pole, 87.4 mph to 87.2 mph. A driver hiccup could upset those results either way.

The Mazda, with its six-speed manual, needs third gear to hit 60 mph, while the Solstice, with a five-speed gearbox, gets to 60 mph in second gear. The Miata might fare better with the available five-speed manual. The Solstice shifter feels quick and precise, while at times the Mazda box requires some hunting to find the right slot.

Driving the cars back to back prompts lots of conflicting responses from our testers. The Miata has much more steering feel in the slalom, and its engine responds quicker to throttle inputs. The Miata has more chassis roll than the Solstice, but the Mazda turns in quickerin fact, going from Solstice to Miata, all of the testers clipped a couple of cones on the first run; its steering is that much quicker.

The Miata is faster in our slalom course, 7.11 seconds at 47.0 mph, while the Solstice takes 7.13 seconds at 46.9 mph to go through the cones. The Miata needs 119 feet to stop from 60 mph, while the Solstice needs 123 feet.

And with the Miata a known entity for many years, the biggest question we wanted to answer is this: Could the Solstice deliver on its good looks? The short answer: Yes.

The Miata exhibits very little understeer on the skidpad, and is easy to steer with the throttle, though the Solstice turns in a better number, 0.90 g to 0.87 g.

Adding up all these figures, the Miata scores a slight performance advantage over the Solstice. But our testers came away from the track impressed with the Pontiac, especially with the cars chassis and suspension.

The Solstice is much nicer than I expected, said one. But it does beg the question: Why cant GM do to its other cars what it has done here?

Driving both the Solstice and the Miata on a 500-mile loop that includes high-speed freeway sections, part of old Route 66, and some twisty roads in the San Gabriel Mountains gave us a more real-world perspective from which to compare the cars.

The Solstices slightly longer wheelbase and bigger tires (Goodyear Eagle RS-A 245/45R-18s vs. the Mazdas Michelin Pilot Preceda 205/45R-17s) provide for a more comfortable ride and better tracking through fast corners. The Miata is jumpier, with darty handling. The Miata has more yaw in the corners, and its suspension gets upset bouncing over freeway expansion joints. It is an
uncomfortable, jarring ride.

The Solstice cockpit is slightly bigger, with more shoulder- and legroom. From a pure comfort standpoint, the Solstice is more welcoming over a variety of road surfaces and conditions.

There is a vast difference in the manual top operation of the two roadsters. With the Miata, twist the latch at the header and push the top back and down, latching it into placea quick and easy, one-person job. The Solstice requires you to pop the trunk via a button on the key fob that releases not only the lid, but the tops rear wings. You then release the inside latch and fold the top into the trunk, then close the trunk. It, too, is a one-person operation, but there are more steps involved than with the Miata. With tops up, both cars are equally noisy.

With the top down and stowed, you lose most of the Solstices storage space, while the Miata top folds down into a well in front of the small trunk. The Solstice interiors lack of storage is annoying, as the only place to put cell phones or other items is an expandable pocket in front of the seat cushion between your legs. On the other hand, the Solstices sound system is far superior to the Miatas.

Something we had noted at the Solstice introduction reared its ugly head again in our tests: a nasty driveline noise that got worse throughout testing. The driveline clunk is not a reassuring sound of quality. GM engineers say they are working to correct the problem.

Pontiacs most recent Consumer Satis-faction Index numbers are better than Mazdas, but we will reserve judgment regarding the Solstices build quality for a few years. The Miata feels pretty much bulletproof. Its fit-and-finish is terrific.

Picking a winner in this DoubleTake is especially difficult, because the two cars are evenly matched at the track, competitively priced, and are loads of fun to drive. If you want a car to go autocrossing in, the Mazda is a good choice.

But with all things considered, three factors weigh heavily in favor of the Solstice: fresh, good looks, better on-road ride and handling, and superior driving comfort. While we would be happy with either in our garage, for this test the Pontiac Solstice is our pick.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote </TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>OTHER VIEWS

>The Solstice is a home run: Its numbers are as good as Miatas, its more comfortable, and its styled like a 20-something VH1 star. But its a home run in a minor league ballpark. Take that Solstice team and replicate it throughout the company and GM will be on solid ground. - Mark Vaughn

> Solstice reminds me of the previous Miata; it is raw, with a less-refined engine and noisy cabin. Based on feel, I expected the Mazda to have an advantage in tests. But not all the numbers support that. Add to that its stunning good looks and I choose the Pontiac. - Mac Morrison

> The Miata is more driver-oriented with a sweeter drivetrain; its engine is more eager to rev, and the shifter is more fun. Good as it isand it is goodSolstice feels to me like a solid foundation for a future performance version. - Kevin A. Wilson

>For me its a tossup. The Solstice is some 300 pounds heavier but still drives light. I like the way both cars ride and handle, though Id give the Solstice an edge in terms of chassis stiffness. Id go with the Solstice, because its the better-looking car. - Wes Raynal >The Solstice wows you with its curvaceous body and composed ride, whereas the Miata is razor-sharp in its shifts and cornering abilities. As an enthusiast driver, the Miata gets my vote because it communicates the corners better, and I can steer the back end like a proper sports car. The smile from behind the wheelnot in frontis what I value most. - Andrew Luu

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote </TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>2006 PONTIAC SOLSTICE

i1cw2d.jpg

Base Price (includes $575 delivery): $19,995
As-tested Price: $25,000
Horsepower: 177 @ 6600 rpm

STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 6.94 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 7.51 sec
0-quarter-mile: 15.50 sec @ 87.4 mph

ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (second gear): 3.3 sec
40-60 mph (second gear): 3.4 sec
60-80 mph (third gear): 5.6 sec

BRAKING
60 mph-0: 123 ft HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 46.9 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.90 g

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote </TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>2006 MAZDA MX-5

i1cw43.jpg

Base Price (includes $560 delivery): $23,495
As-tested Price: $23,995
Horsepower: 170 @ 6700 rpm

STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 7.04 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 7.46 sec
0-quarter-mile: 15.43 sec @ 87.2 mph

ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (second gear): 2.8 sec
40-60 mph (third gear): 3.8 sec
60-80 mph (fourth gear): 6.0 sec

BRAKING
60 mph-0: 119 ft HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 47.0 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.87 g

http://www.autoweek.com/articl...03628

blah blah blah.. so the Solstice is more comfortable.. I thought these were supposed to be sports cars?

I haven't sat in a solstice but I did sit in a Saturn Sky and it is by far the cheapest, crappiest, worst fitting interior that I have ever touched in a car in my entire life...

it may be more comfortable, but the solstice is also shaping up to be the better autoX car of the two...the miata appears to be slower on course than the '99 model.

i'd still take the miata simply b/c it's lighter, but the solstice is good stuff IMO.

meh, I've owned 3 GM's and driven countless others. The only ones I've driven that have felt quality have been a C5 Vette, Cadillacs, and newer Tahoes/Suburbans. Everything else feels like it was slapped together. I'm on what'll probably be my last GM now... performance aside, there's simply no comparison between the quality of my Sunfire and my wife's Solara. It's beyond night and day.

So what I'm saying is, when numbers are as close as these two are, even if the Solstice edges out the MX-5 in all areas performance-wise, I'd still rather get the car that 'feels' better quality.

Just my experience/opinion...

Yeah! Solstice baby! I love this car. Love the way it looks and cant wait till the GXP model tests they do.

I'm Strangely attracted to the solstice. For some reason, I like the Last gen Miatas looks better.

solstice_front_big.jpg

I was driving next to a yellow once a few months ago, made me want to jump out my car and hump it.

jandree22 said:
there's simply no comparison between the quality of my Sunfire and my wife's Solara. It's beyond night and day.

your wife's solara is also a buttload more expensive...it's an entirely different class of car. sunfires are admittedly not exactly the nicest cars, but the difference probably lies in that, rather than in the import/domestic distinction.

Last edited:
The (NC) MX-5 in stock form is not a serious auto-x competitor. With that said, all it needs is a set of Eibachs, some Konis, and it will perform better than most with similar setups.

dmitrik4 said:
your wife's solara is also a buttload more expensive...it's an entirely different class of car. sunfires are admittedly not exactly the nicest cars, but the difference probably lies in that, rather than in the import/domestic distinction.
Not really... I bought mine used but I think the Sunfire probably sold for around $15k. My wife got her Solara SE Sport (4cyl) for about $20k. So yeah, there's $5k difference that as you mentioned the class of car probably accounts for.

But, the Solara's engine is smoother, auto tranny is smoother, less rattling, better materials, etc etc. And the Sunfire has a 2.2L and the Solara has a 2.4L... the Sunfire gets 25MPG and the Solara gets 30MPG driven exactly the same (ugh)

So yeah, you do have a point... but still IME every domestic I drive lacks the refinement of every import I drive. All this being said, back in my old bedroom in my parents house there's still a Pontiac Solstice poster hanging... doh! (lol2)

Attachments

• poster.jpg
    poster.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
The saturn version looks much much better than the Pontiac. The plasticly kidney grills are fugly. The new Opel GT version is even better looking.

KanseiZM said:
blah blah blah.. so the Solstice is more comfortable.. I thought these were supposed to be sports cars?

I haven't sat in a solstice but I did sit in a Saturn Sky and it is by far the cheapest, crappiest, worst fitting interior that I have ever touched in a car in my entire life...

sporty does not have to mean uncomfortable

KanseiZM said:

They are, and the better one is the Solstice. It does all that the MX5 does but does it with a better ride and better looks.(first)

I like the looks of the MX-5 better, and if I were to consider buying a car like that, then between two very similar cars I think looks could sell it.

Hughes412 said:
They are, and the better one is the Solstice. It does all that the MX5 does but does

Try taking a vacation for a week in Yosemite & Sequoia with plenty of luggage for two..then try to shut the top when it starts raining while you're carving through a canyon road, then open it 5 minutes later without stopping. Anyway, I think it's the other way around :The MX-5 can do everything the Solstice can do and be a practical car and a fun daily driver.

Back