How-To: Folding rear seats in MS6

onedeath

:
Mazdaspeed6
Took out the back panel and this is what I saw.

Bracing
PICT0231.jpg

Closer Look
PICT0232.jpg

And then I found the latch!!!!! One for each side.
PICT0234.jpg

Flip the latch and this is what happens. :) :) :)
PICT0236.jpg

I am a happy man now that I found that it is possible to carry bigger items in the trunk. :D

Now you need to find the part #s for the factory non speed 6. There are cable operated levers on each side that attach to those tabs to drop them unless you wanna crawl in each time to do it.

Rear Seat Pass-through Mod

This is a duplicate post of one I made over on *Sister Forum*. FYI in case you don't frequent that forum.

I have completed my rear-seat pass-through mod on my Mazdaspeed6. This mod involves two steps:
1) cut an opening in the rear seat/trunk liner
2) install rear seat remote-release levers

STEP 1 Obtain the necessary parts

I purchased my parts from mazdastuff.com. Cost: about $55 including shipping.

(2) GK2A-57-X50A ... LEVER, REMOTE
(2) GK2A-57-X24 ... BRACKET, LEVER- REMOTE
(1) GK2A-57-X6YA ... CABLE, LEFT
(1) GK2A-57-X6XA ... CABLE, RIGHT
(3) GB02-67-014 ... CLIP **
(4) metric nuts and washers that you can find at your local hardware store***

** buy only 2 if you have NAVI.
*** sorry, I don't know the size. I used some I found in my random parts bin.

Click here for a pic of the parts

STEP 2 Remove all of the trunk lining, then flip down the rear seats.

Pop off the numerous clips securing the panels around the trunk by pulling up on their centers.

02remove_trunkpanels.jpg

STEP 3 Make the trunk comfy.

You will need to lay down inside the trunk to install the cables, so place something comfy on the trunk floor.

03pillow.jpg

STEP 4 Widen the holes at the ends of the cables

The pins on the rear seat latch are slightly bigger than the slotted opening on the cable, so I opened up the hole just a little so the cable would fit over the pins.

04widen_hole.jpg

STEP 5 Install the remote-lever cables

Lay down in the trunk on your back and attach the ends of the cables to the seat latches. Route the cables through the body as shown below. When the cables are routed and attached to the seat latches, clip the cables to the body so they don't pop off.

05latch_left.jpg

08latch_right.jpg

06cable_route.jpg

STEP 6 Assemble the ends of the levers and secure them to the mounts with the nuts you bought.

09lever.jpg

07lever_bracket.jpg

STEP 7 Cut an opening in the trunk liner and modify it to flip up and down easily.

Reattach the trunk liner to the trunk with the speed-clips, then trace an opening on the back of the liner from the inside of the car. Carefully cut out the opening with a utility knife. I placed a block of wood beneath the liner to have a firm surface on which to cut. Fabricate some method to open/close the cut-out. Here's the results of my work, in which I used some lexan strips, double-sided tape, velcro, and a convenient pull-strap:

11flap_cutout.jpg

12velcro_tabs.jpg

STEP 8 Cut out notches in the left and right-side trunk liners to allow for the newly installed levers to fit

10liner_cutout.jpg

STEP 9 Reinstall the trunk panels and admire your handiwork

13lever_left_done.jpg
14lever_right_done.jpg

15passthru_closed.jpg

16passthru_open.jpg

17passthru.jpg

18seats_down.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Autodim/Homelink mirror how-to?

Nice work! Can also you post a how-to of the Autodim/Homelink mirror upgrade you described on the Mazda6 forum? If it is super straight forward, then how about just a photo of the finished product. Like a lot of people I was dissapointed to learn that Homelink wasn't really an option for the MS6. After reading your post I am pretty much ready to plunk down the $150 and do it myself.

haha, ive had my ms6 for 5 months now and never knew that...good job man, stumbling onto that.

the seat latches used on the ms6 are actually different from the normal seat latches... so you can get the proper seat latches designed for the karakuri cable pullers and they are color matched to your seat backs... I'm not sure, but they probably have a plastic cover over them too... anyway the part numbers:
GJ6A-57-32XC-02 right latch
GJ6A-57-32YC-02 left latch

for the MPS owners (as in you guys not in north america), order these japanese made parts instead:
GJ6A-57-X5XA right lever... the cable & bracket are part of it!
GJ6A-57-X5YA left lever... the cable & bracket are part of it!
UJ40-67-CA1 (supercedes GB02-67-014) clip... 2 or 3 requied per above list

for the OEM nuts (these are globally available):
9994-00-600 (for the cables, need 4)
no washers needed!

For the record, the nuts that you need to attach the handles are 6mm nuts with a thread pitch of 1.0, along with appropriate washers. I just did this mod following the instructions above after getting my parts from mazdastuff and couldn't be happier with the results.

like I said, you don't need washers! mazda didn't use them on the cars that came with these!

TheMAN said:
like I said, you don't need washers! mazda didn't use them on the cars that came with these!

First off this is has to be the best find, maybe tied with the clutch adjustment for the ms6. I wanted to clarify one thing. TheMAN stated part numbers for the trunk releases, are those diffrent then the ones listed in the first post with the part list and instructions? Thanks for this information. I don't feel so bad about getting rid of my truck for this car now.

XPLORx4 said:
STEP 1 Obtain the necessary parts

I purchased my parts from mazdastuff.com. Cost: about $55 including shipping.

(2) GK2A-57-X50A ... LEVER, REMOTE
(2) GK2A-57-X24 ... BRACKET, LEVER- REMOTE
(1) GK2A-57-X6YA ... CABLE, LEFT
(1) GK2A-57-X6XA ... CABLE, RIGHT
(3) GB02-67-014 ... CLIP **
(4) metric nuts and washers that you can find at your local hardware store***

** buy only 2 if you have NAVI.
*** sorry, I don't know the size. I used some I found in my random parts bin.

I'm new to this forum, and I don't understand how I can find those parts on mazdastuff.com, I went to the site, but there is no search option, and then I tried looking for parts and accessories for the MS6, but they weren't listed there either. Any help would be appreciated.
-Max

I e-mailed them my parts request to verify their prices and shipping cost, then phoned in my credit card info to make the purchase.

Those parts aren't shown on the website. I got the part numbers from my local Mazda dealer.

Back