Transmission Fluid

Th3_Gr33k

:
Mazda Proteg5
Does anyone know how many quarts of transmission fluid I need for a 2003 P5 Standard transmission. Thank you.

It will vary, depending on how much you drain, keep track of that and put the same amount back in!

According to the service manual:

F25M-R and G15M-R
Capacity (approx.) 2.68L (2.83 US qt, 2.36 Imp qt)

It will take almost 3 whole quarts. There are two identical bolts on the tranny, one is a drain hole which at the bottom most part of the tranny, and the other is the hole where you put the fluid in, which is a little farther up on the front (towards the bumper). Fill it until a little drips out of the (fill) hole and you're done.

go with Redline MT90 ... works great! 3 bottles will set you back about $25 depending on where you buy it.

hellcat said:
It will take almost 3 whole quarts. There are two identical bolts on the tranny, one is a drain hole which at the bottom most part of the tranny, and the other is the hole where you put the fluid in, which is a little farther up on the front (towards the bumper). Fill it until a little drips out of the (fill) hole and you're done.

I would consider that overfilling, something you want to avoid!
There should be a dipstick for testing the fill level. If I remember correctly, mazdas have you shift through all the gears while the car is running, then check the level.

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/ <-- service manual

mogi said:
I would consider that overfilling, something you want to avoid!
There should be a dipstick for testing the fill level. If I remember correctly, mazdas have you shift through all the gears while the car is running, then check the level.

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/ <-- service manual
The gear oil does not have a dipstick, and you cannot overflow it. It is supposed to be filled to the brim. There is even a diagram on the first page of the transmission section of the manual that you posted but have not even looked at. Please don't give false information cause you don't know what you are talking about. KTHX (thumb)

peepsalot said:
The gear oil does not have a dipstick, and you cannot overflow it. It is supposed to be filled to the brim. There is even a diagram on the first page of the transmission section of the manual that you posted but have not even looked at. Please don't give false information cause you don't know what you are talking about. KTHX (thumb)

yea i think he missed the whole point of the thread and the fact that its a manual tranny. he pretty much described it for an atx though

just put in 3 quarts. Get a 23mm socket, as you will need it for the drain plug.

I am using Amsoil, works great. But there is Redline, Royal Purple, and others. I recommend synthetic, so much smoother.

traitorhound said:
yea i think he missed the whole point of the thread and the fact that its a manual tranny. he pretty much described it for an atx though

Sorry, yes, I have only changed an ATX tranny, figured it was the same methodology for filling it. I provided a link to the manual, so it wasn't total misinformation :)

hellcat said:

Well you can actually take out the shifter in the car and fill it that way its much much quicker. But thank you, now I wont get too confused. (2thumbs)

Thank you for the helpful information.

Th3_Gr33k said:
Well you can actually take out the shifter in the car and fill it that way its much much quicker. But thank you, now I wont get too confused. (2thumbs)

this is a new one that i ve never heard of. . . taking hte shifter out of the car and filling it that way?

i dont think so man

traitorhound said:
this is a new one that i ve never heard of. . . taking hte shifter out of the car and filling it that way?

i dont think so man
Actually it's quite possible. I have done it before on my Hatchi. So I'm sorry... but it's possible.

mt-90 all the way, just make sure teh car is level and it can't be overfilled

Th3_Gr33k said:

If I do that in my car, the Miata's transmission has a separate little section up top that is separate from the actual transmission fluid down below. You still put the same sort of fluid in, but it's definitely something separate... I usually do it first, and the stuff in there is just straight up grey, compared to the reddish oil in the transmission.

It's a direct mechanical transmission though, no cables or linkages or anything.

Th3_Gr33k said:

Considering the shifting linkage is in the back of the transmission on the protege5, and the fill hole is in the front, please explain how taking the shifter out of the car will help.

Won't be able to tell when it has correct amount since not removing the fill plug to see when the fluid starts coming out..........

Actually I'm sorry but I think that I am wrong. Just rememberd that the engind sits sideways. But I am going to go double check this.(braindead)

Yea... Just went outside to go check and yall are right.(bow) I guess I totally forgot that my MP5 has different setup then my Hatchiroku. (sad2)

Back