Mazda 3 Reliability Question

cixcos

I'm about to purchase a Mazda 3 but a friend who has one has told me his car has had the engine mounts replaced several times already. He's dissapointed at this and doesn't recommend it to me for this reason. BTW, he has the automatic transmission. Does anyone know if Mazda is fixing this problem anytime soon? TIA!

Ben

tell your frined to shut up. no just kidding.
i personally have not heard of any issue with the motor mounts, try doing a search and maybe you'll find someone that had. I have been recommendign the 3 to anyone that would listen. i absolutely love this car, not a single problem yet.

my car has 34k of hard miles. (pizza delivery) yes the motor mounts are very soft but i haven't broken mine yet.

I haven't had many, if any complaints from customers on the Mazda3 save for the A/C being a little weak for South Florida. Of the 50 or so I've sold YTD that's the only recurring problem and that's easily remedied with tints and laying off the gas.

the motor mounts are soft as hell and i ripped mine already. But i didnt discover this untill my motor blew and i had to take it out. mazda usa was NO help at all considering i was only 1000 miles outta my warrenty. other then that i love my car. i almost traded it in for a SRT-4 but i just couldnt do it. I AM THE ONLY PERSON I KNOW OF TO HAVE A BLOWN MOTOR YET! but still some food for thought.
Oh yeah and my rear brakes started dragging and grinding at about 30k miles.

mazda3zoom said:
the motor mounts are soft as hell and i ripped mine already. But i didnt discover this untill my motor blew and i had to take it out. mazda usa was NO help at all considering i was only 1000 miles outta my warrenty. other then that i love my car. i almost traded it in for a SRT-4 but i just couldnt do it. I AM THE ONLY PERSON I KNOW OF TO HAVE A BLOWN MOTOR YET! but still some food for thought.
That sucks! Did they find the culprit of the engine blowing????

mazda3zoom said:

um.........you didn't blow your engine,you siezed a bearing.big difference.you want to see a blown engine,peak around the MSP section,there's lots there.

ahem.. their are now two people with blown motors. however, i probably blew mine before anyone else did. bought the car july '04, oct '04 with 8424 miles on it, blew it up. gone.. $10,000 of work done for me without paying anything, god i love warranties. cause, unknown. cam gears were shot, timing was thrown, i dont know what else. car gone for a month, got car back. 2 days after thanksgiving, motor mount snapped. it is one of the worst and most horrifying sound ive ever heard. loud POP and then grinding.. new motor is a thing of beauty, 40,000 miles and runs great. and yes, i do have a crap automatic. reason being because my dealer told me that it would take 3-6 months for a manual to be built and not a dealership around had a manual hatch on the lot. im dealing for now, until Speed3 comes out..

wicked said:
um.........you didn't blow your engine,you siezed a bearing.big difference.you want to see a blown engine,peak around the MSP section,there's lots there.

i didnt sieze a bearing. i spun one. and if i would have drove on it long enough it would have caused more damage.

Puckpimp71 said:
That sucks! Did they find the culprit of the engine blowing????

Nope i dont know exactly why it blew. the dealer (or mazda USA) wouldnt help out any so im taking care of it myself.

Guys,

I'm not expert, but if the engine mounts are so weak, shouldn't this be a major issue for most of the M3 around? If I recall correclty, this car started as a MY04, therefore there have been 3s around at least since Fall of 2003.

Is an engine mount subject to significantly different stress depending on how hard you push the car?

the harder you drive (launch) the car the more mounts you are going to go through, as they are liquid filled mounts... they are great and deffinatly reduce a lot of vibrations, just not that good for people who like to launch/race/drive like a moron... so pretty much the engine mounts are the results of the user...

tsunami said:
the harder you drive (launch) the car the more mounts you are going to go through, as they are liquid filled mounts... they are great and deffinatly reduce a lot of vibrations, just not that good for people who like to launch/race/drive like a moron... so pretty much the engine mounts are the results of the user...

so them being liquid filled.....if i were to drill a small hole in one and drain it and then refill it with something that would dry 1000 stiffer would that work?

ummm I'll take no for $1000, Alex.

:) I filled the mounts on my car because I was a cheap bastard. It worked okay, but AWR polyurethane is the only way to go...

Puckpimp71 said:
ummm I'll take no for $1000, Alex.

:) I filled the mounts on my car because I was a cheap bastard. It worked okay, but AWR polyurethane is the only way to go...

keep in mind that i wouldnt just be filling them with some stuff u buy at autozone. I own my own rhino lining dealer (worlds leading sprayed on polyeurathane truck bed liner) so i could inject it with even better material then those AWR ones.

I forgot about that one! I remember reading that post by you a while back. I almost pmmed you about that for the proteges before I ordered the AWR mounts. That sounds promising. I know that Rhino stuff is strong. How will it do with prolonged exposure to heat though? Esp the rear mount on the 3 with exhaust back there...

Puckpimp71 said:
I forgot about that one! I remember reading that post by you a while back. I almost pmmed you about that for the proteges before I ordered the AWR mounts. That sounds promising. I know that Rhino stuff is strong. How will it do with prolonged exposure to heat though? Esp the rear mount on the 3 with exhaust back there...

we,ll find out. i filled in my rear mount and the car should be running this weekend. it should be ok though cuz that stufffs good up to some 2000 degrees. i would spray my whole exhaust system to keep it from rusting but large amounts like that would get heavy.
Also if you wanted to see how well it worked out ide be happy to try and make one up for the protege, pm me if your interested.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back