Can someone help with computer problem

nautical2086

:
1999 Mazda Protege ES
Alright I have this really annoying problem with my computer, I run my computer, and at random, my internet dies, like turns off and won't turn back on, Whenever I restart though, It magically turns back on. Can anyone help me with this problem I cant figure out what it is.

I do have broad band, I did run the virus scan nothing picks up, no addware or spyware either, This is werid too cuz imma computer person lol. No router.

nautical2086 said:
Alright I have this really annoying problem with my computer, I run my computer, and at random, my internet dies, like turns off and won't turn back on, Whenever I restart though, It magically turns back on. Can anyone help me with this problem I cant figure out what it is.

Need more details...
I.E. specific webpages, version of windows, internet connection, ect

If I were to guess,
I would have you run windows update (I had stability problems with Win XP Pro before service pack 2)

Do you get any errors when your internet shuts down?

I.E 6, Connection just gets lost, XP SP2, CAble modem, I just bought a new modem last week too. No errors when it does, Just dies out of nowhere.

hmmm

Do you obtain you IP address automatically?
if you do you might be able to try this...

next time internet dies --Turn your cable modem off... leave it off for a few minutes do obtain a new IP (depends on your carrier how long to leave it off... Central.Cox.Net takes about 10 minutes)

By doing this we can see if your problem is cable-modem-out
or before the cable modem

How long ago did this start?

Last edited:
Next time it dies, go into a DOS window and type
"ipconfig /flush"
and then
"ipconfig /renew"

Then see if your internet works again without rebooting.

funny. the same thing just happened to me this weekend.
whoever knows cable modem:
i noticed that in the oast, whenever there is a spike in bandwith usage (log into the HOT GIRL thread here for example) i lose my internet connection, to fix it i have to reset the cable modem (unplug power, plug power).
This last friday, i was downloading a large ass file overnight, and sat morning there was no internet. i did the usual modem reset but it never came back. It is still out.
I talked to the Adelphia people and they were like "oh it seems like we are gonna need a tech to go there and do something, the soonest appointment is on the 16th". Thats crazy, i cant be without internet access for 2 weeks. At that point, the guy was gonna tell me an alternative, but i lost cell phone signal. *sigh

If any of you guys have any recommendations for this, it would be great.

Back