UDP belt squeal

PR5Matt

I have an RR UDP and Dayco belts (could be all of the problem). I have them pretty tight, but on cold days when I have my lights on I get a squeal. I can still twist the belt a little. I don't want to over tighten them. Any suggestions?

PR5Matt said:
I have an RR UDP and Dayco belts (could be all of the problem). I have them pretty tight, but on cold days when I have my lights on I get a squeal. I can still twist the belt a little. I don't want to over tighten them. Any suggestions?

I have an UR underdrive and i get the same problem. the only solution I can think of is to switch back to your stock pully.

I have the Unorthodox UDP and had the recommended Gates belts on my car for about a year until this past Sunday. My water pump/alternator belt broke on the highway. I also had the squealing that you guys are complaining about. I replaced my belts with the Goodyear Gatorbacks from Autozone and they don't squeal at all and I didn't even have to overtighten them. A friend of mine just told me today that Goodyear Gatorbacks are better belts than Gates which makes happy that I chose it. Let me know if you need the part numbers that I used. I'll have to look them up.

i got the same problem too just this past week! although i dont have an UDP, i did change my belts on sunday.

come to find out (i believe) my alternator belt was loose. i dont really know what to suugest... maybe tighten more? idk... good luck!

Protege_Speed said:
I have the Unorthodox UDP and had the recommended Gates belts on my car for about a year until this past Sunday. My water pump/alternator belt broke on the highway. I also had the squealing that you guys are complaining about. I replaced my belts with the Goodyear Gatorbacks from Autozone and they don't squeal at all and I didn't even have to overtighten them. A friend of mine just told me today that Goodyear Gatorbacks are better belts than Gates which makes happy that I chose it. Let me know if you need the part numbers that I used. I'll have to look them up.

Please get me the part #s. Thanks!

Protege_Speed said:

Plese post the part numbers. (first)

I just realized that your UDP is an Unorthodox. I got a hold of RR Racing and they gave me the Gates numbers: K050446 and K040355. While I was ther I picked up their new front motor mount insert. Gonna give it a try.

i dont have a/c... anyone have the belt # for the ps belt??

4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp.
xxxxxxxx for the PS

Yeah, those are the same Gates belts that Unorthodox recommends. I had those belts. The Gates K050446 is 45.25" long and the Gatorback 4050457 is 45.75" long. Goodyear also has a 4050450 that is 45" long but that is a special order at Autozone. They don't stock them. The Gates K040355 is 36.25" long and the Gatorback 4040360 is 36" long. Goodyear didn't have the exact same lengths but you do have the room tighten the belts. Actually, if you go to Autozone and ask them for the belt that fits your car, they will give you the numbers that I listed. Lastly, if you have the time to wait, you can order these belts from Summit Racing and they cost something like 10 - 12 dollars each.
PR5Matt said:
I just realized that your UDP is an Unorthodox. I got a hold of RR Racing and they gave me the Gates numbers: K050446 and K040355. While I was ther I picked up their new front motor mount insert. Gonna give it a try.

Unorthodox recommends Gates K050396 which is 40.25" long. I found the gatorback 4050405 which is 40.50" for those who don't have AC.
MazdaGecko said:
i dont have a/c... anyone have the belt # for the ps belt??

4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp.
xxxxxxxx for the PS

I had the same problem as well. Tightened the belt going to the power steering pump, no more squeal (mine did it whenever I started driving and turning the steering wheel).

You'll probably want to tighten the belt going to the alternator.

Just don't tighten them too much. That's most likely why my gates belt broke. No matter how much I tightened it, the squeal wouldn't go away.
Lord_Zath said:
I had the same problem as well. Tightened the belt going to the power steering pump, no more squeal (mine did it whenever I started driving and turning the steering wheel).

You'll probably want to tighten the belt going to the alternator.

Protege_Speed said:
Just don't tighten them too much. That's most likely why my gates belt broke. No matter how much I tightened it, the squeal wouldn't go away.

yeah so even with tightening, I'm getting squeaking. It's only when I start accelerating from a stop, and gets louder as I go up in RPM's. If I let off the accelerator, usually squeaking stops once the crank isn't spinning too much. But sometimes when I get back on the accelerator, it starts back up again.

It only does it for the initial 5 minutes of driving, so my guess is that the belt needs to get warmed up so the grooves narrow and thusly grip the udp better.

I think I'll be getting the gatorback belts you mentioned and see if that helps any.

One other question - you said your belt for the water pump went out on the highway. Did you drive it back home or did you leave it sitting there? I'm interested in knowing how long until the temp gauge started rising. Just good to know in case :)

i'm gettin it too :(

i switched from gats to delco, it made it better, but noise is still there

omg i thought i was the only one!! grr that sound is so annoying.. i regret getting the pulley.. u know when your belts are gonna squeek, when you're stopped and suddenly the heat turns cold.. lol.. and i'm in canada.. it's FREEZING.. i think i'm going to take it out...

Back