P0171!!

drnick786

:
2000 Protege 1.6
I was getting hesitation on my protege 1.6 at about 3000 rpms on and off and then the check engine light came on and no more hesitation, but still feel the power loss. The code is P0171. " The fuel system for bank 1 was too lean." The guy told give me a list of things it could be such as: fuel pump, pcv valve, fuel injector pressure regulator. He also said it could be dirty injectors. I did put injector cleaner and 93 octane gas in it a couple of times but, to no awail. looking for some help.

drnick786 said:
I was getting hesitation on my protege 1.6 at about 3000 rpms on and off and then the check engine light came on and no more hesitation, but still feel the power loss. The code is P0171. " The fuel system for bank 1 was too lean." The guy told give me a list of things it could be such as: fuel pump, pcv valve, fuel injector pressure regulator. He also said it could be dirty injectors. I did put injector cleaner and 93 octane gas in it a couple of times but, to no awail. looking for some help.

I've had this problem before. Check your maf sensor, it might be dirty, that what mine was, clean it and no problem. Or it could be your oxygen sensor.

fyi - mazda extended the warranty on the maf to seven years. quite a few of us 1.6 people have had this. s***, i'm on my 4th

Well, that warranty does not apply to california model proteges. I've been to several dealers in cali and they told me, that it doesnt apply to my car.

i thought it was my MAF back when i had my injen intake on, so i bought one for $50 from a junk yard. I went to my uncle's shop and ran DTC and Freeze Frame Data test, replaced the O2 sensor, and even tested the fuel pressure, but it turns out that the orginal MAF was still good it just need to be cleaned out. So i have an extra MAF. If its not the O2 sensor, then check your MAF, hope that help out.

Hello,sir,

I get also this code with my protege 99 witn 1.6 engine.

In last spring the maf are be replace under waranty. The cell came on but no lack of power or jurk or hesiation the car run fine.

Now i get back the same code without any hesiation or jurk ok lack of power.

I clean the maf for now the cell dosen't not game back. I will see i just cleaned the maf yesterday. I suspect went he replaced under the waranty he put rebuilt or cheaper quality. Now since de maf raplaced it is not covered any more by the extension waranty because the date on the maf are past 2000.

I don't think i have any vaccum leak because usealy went you have unstable idle and the car jurk.

I dosen't any sign else than the cell came on.

Can you give your advice for fix that check engine.

Thank

sebastien

Last edited:
today i got the same P0171 code for my 2000 mazda protege,.,.,.,.,.saying bank 1 lean.,.,.,.,my exhaust manifold is corrosed from the rest of the down pipe? will this cause the o2 sensor upstream to see that?

Back