drive belt tightening

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi,
I'm used to working on Hondas but not with Mazdas.
I want to tighten the drive belt because it's squeeling. The belt is kind of loose. The bracket for the Mazda has this bolt on top. I don't know if this is to be adjusted. Can someone help me?

technically, we can't make threads w/links pointing to illegal/pirated products. That's why it's not a specific thread/sticky/whatever.

hahaha, ok. That makes sense. I didn't think of that as a pirated copy of something, but more of a resource, that's y. As an IT guy I totally understand

Woo hoo. The directions were useful.
Unlike a Honda, I had to go underneath to loosen the bottom alternator bolt.
The drive belt squeeling is gone.(nana)

domo6-sm.jpg

Has anyone paid to have their belts replaced? I was at a local garage the other day having some work done and asked them to check-out the belts. They say the belts need to be replaced soon, but the quote was for CAD$200. Is this reasonable? It seems like a lot for a couple of belts.

HOLY CRAP! Only 200! 1 place asked me $560 JUST for the timing belt (including labor, but still)!

EDIT: Did the quote include labor? I paid $340 on my last car for 1 timing belt and 1 drive belt

notjoeyt said:
Has anyone paid to have their belts replaced? I was at a local garage the other day having some work done and asked them to check-out the belts. They say the belts need to be replaced soon, but the quote was for CAD$200. Is this reasonable? It seems like a lot for a couple of belts.
WWWOOOOHHHH there trying to rip you a new asshole i just recently changed my belts and all i did was go to an auto parts store and got both for like $20 and had myt bro replace them and to have someone else do them is not woth the extra $180 in labor buy the belts and do it yourself

djdanny5000 said:
WWWOOOOHHHH there trying to rip you a new asshole i just recently changed my belts and all i did was go to an auto parts store and got both for like $20 and had myt bro replace them and to have someone else do them is not woth the extra $180 in labor buy the belts and do it yourself

How hard is it to replace? I have had some squeeling issues and I noticed that the belt to my alternator is starting to shred. Is this something a noob can do with simple tools? I have searched for info, but haven't found much. I'm about to just take it to the dealer, but I know it's going to be expensive.

aMaff said:
HOLY CRAP! Only 200! 1 place asked me $560 JUST for the timing belt (including labor, but still)!

EDIT: Did the quote include labor? I paid $340 on my last car for 1 timing belt and 1 drive belt

yeah, umm, $560 is about the norm for our cars on a timing belt. Timing belts take a lot more work than simple accessory/serpentine belts.

As for those, hit up the local auto parts store. You can usually change them with hand tools...

Back