Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Thread: What is FL22 antifreeze?

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

What is FL22 antifreeze?

Wow, its been hot and dry here in San Diego the last few days. I must say with the windows tinted the AC (w/low fan speed) has had no problems keeping the cabin comfortable.

....anyway, I plan on change my oil this weekend so I was snooping around under the hood tonight and noted several warnings/sticker regarding our M5 using a "FL22" type antifreeze, is this a technical name for an extended-life antifreeze?

Also, how many keys are suppose to come with our M5? I only have the two switchblade keys. Don't all cars come with a valet key to keep the car jockeys out of the glove box?

2006 Mazda 5 M/T

Bump for an old but unanswered question about FL-22 anti-freeze/coolant. I have been unable to get any substantive information about this coolant on the web so far. I notice that the level in the expansion tank has been slowly dropping since we got our 5 last year, but there is NOT a coolant leak into the engine (verified with many oil analyses). So, it must be slowly evaporating. We've moved since buying our 5 and now the nearest dealer is ~150 miles away. I need some info about FL-22 so I know whether I can use a substitute to top off the expansion tank. Anyone?
    | That the yielding conquers the resistant
    | and the soft conquers the hard
    | is a fact known by all people,
    | yet utilized by none.
    | -- Lao Tzu

Two "switchblade" keys come with the vehicle. There is no valet key perse' I just gave one of my recent customers the plain Mazda 3 key to be used as a valet key.

06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71

Here's what mazda says:

To enhance service life, reduce waste material, and lower maintenance costs, a new long-life pre-mixed “FL22”
    engine coolant is being introduced into mass-production for the models shown above.

It is recommended that FL22 coolant continue to be used for models originally filled with FL22 coolant from the
    factory.
    CAUTION: FL22 coolant is “pre-mixed” and must be added to the cooling system as is. DO NOT ADD
    WATER TO FL22 COOLANT. Adding water will dilute the solution and lessen the effectiveness of
    the coolant.
    If coolant replacement becomes necessary for prior Mazda models (not originally filled with FL22 coolant), FL22
    coolant can be used. If FL22 coolant is used for prior models, be sure to place the FL22 sticker on the reserve
    tank or degas bottle to indicate FL22 coolant is being used.
    NOTE:
    • In the case of prior models, the coolant replacement interval is every five (5) years or 60,000 miles
    (96,000 km).
    • Six (6) FL22 stickers are included with each case of coolant.

Not very clear, but it's just another new type of coolant. Says here on the bottle, "ethylene glycol based.... 55/45 mixture recommended..... developed to provide corrosion and rust protection.....boiling point 270 degrees, freezing point -47 degrees. Ingrediants: Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1), Water (7732-18-5), Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Potassium Hydroxide (1310-58-3), Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN 217).

Yes I am bored. It smells really nice.

1997 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT MT Sedan: Rio Red
    2007 CX-7 Sport AWD: Brilliant Black

2003 Hyundai Elantra

"If engine coolant other than FL22 is used, the engine coolant must be replaced earlier than the specified replacement interval indicated in the scheduled maintenance"

"DO NOT USE coolants containing: Alcohol, methanol, borate, or silicates"
    (read the label on the back it'll tell you)

taken right out of the owners manual

Sch 1:

FL22 120,000miles or 10 years
    Others 60,000miles or 4 years

So in other words goto autozone and get Prestone pre/mix and you will just have to change it more often. That or goto mazda and buy FL22

06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71

FL22 is pretty cheap. But then again, it's premixed so you technically need more.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2006 Mazda 5 M/T

Just got an email back from Old World Industries (the guys that make Peak, Sierra, and other antifreeze brands). They say FL-22 is a Motorcraft extended life coolant and that either Peak Global Lifetime or Peak LongLife Antifreeze can be added to FL-22 without issue. Both of those are silicate free, and at least LongLife is also phosphate free. So, I'll be topping off with the LongLife I have on hand.

Thanks for the help, fellas!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Hyundai Elantra

The regular Peak ready fill does however have silicates in it.

make sure that shit you add to it is green as that's what FL-22 looks like
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

2006 Mazda 5 M/T

Green, silicate-free it is!