Timing belt

JoeyK

:
99 Protege
I'm changing the timing belt on my wifes 99 protege 1.6L. Anything I sould be aware of before i start? (i have never worked on Mazdas before.)

I was PMed about how to time the Protege today. Here is the reply, I just posted it here as well so you all could refer to it as well.

GEAR%20-%20(4).jpg

You have to make sure that all three timing marks line up. There is one on the crank pulley as well. There should be a series of lines and numbers on a raised wedge of plastic near the bottom of the motor, it might be dificult to see as you have to look down where the mess of belts are. There is a dash line betwen the two belts on the crank pulley. Use you hand or a long wrench that is... s***, I think it's like a 19 or 22mm, it's rather large.

Use the crank pulley to rotate the engine so the marks line up on the zero. That is called "Top Dead Center" or TDC. That means that the #1 Piston is at the Top of the stroke.

Next, you have to make sure that the cam gears are timed properly. You notice that there are "L" shaped holes on the inside of the gear. These are for the dowel pins on the cams. When the crank is at TDC, both of the Dowel Pins on the cams are supposed to be at the top, like 12:00 position. Next, make sure that the gear are on properly.

The left gear on the intake side should have the dowel pin in the groove that would make a "J" shape, top down to left so the mark near the "I" on the stock gear is facing the other gear.

The other gear (Ex) makes a "L" shape, from top to right so the mark near the "E" faces the intake gear.

The Belt should naturally want to go on with everything lined up like this.

Make sure the tensioner spring was put on corectly or it would just jump a tooth and go out of timing.

It's important to line everything up because the cam position sensor reads those stupid magnets that are attached to the gear to decide uppon timing and spark and fuel delivery... Kinna important functions that could mess s*** up.

Reference: http://protege5.ugly.net/

01-10 Mechanical (FS)

01-10b8 Timing Belt

I understand that the engine is not the same, however, the gears are the same and the head as well, should help...

Brian MP5T said:
I understand that the engine is not the same, however, the gears are the same and the head as well, should help...
there is a section in the manual for the ZM (1.6L) engine

Brian MP5T said:

Wait the gears are the same. So the 1.6l could use the fs cam gears?? That would be sweet.

BTW anyone know when I should change my timing belt? I the user guide they say 168 000km but some mechanic are saying 100 000km (60 000miles).

U-Turn said:
BTW anyone know when I should change my timing belt? I the user guide they say 168 000km but some mechanic are saying 100 000km (60 000miles).

check at 60 000 miles change at 100 000 miles. Check the crank seal while you have it off also.. I found that mine was leaking.

I tough that if you do a check your better just putting a new one because you did all the job and you could just put the new one from there. Finally I think I won't change it for now even if I have 120 000km soon because I'm buying a new motor soon.

How much does the timing belt cost?

How much does it cost to have it installed? An independent mechanic of course...I prefer not to get ripped off by dealerships.

Mr Detailer said:
How much does the timing belt cost?

How much does it cost to have it installed? An independent mechanic of course...I prefer not to get ripped off by dealerships.
at a dealership it costs about $450..
i went to an independent mechanic and charged me $650 for doing that, tranny fluid, and replacing a non-faulty TPS.......(TPS not included) (gun) (gun) (pissed) (pissed) that was a rip off

EDIT: there's more: The car (my former protege) had only 50k miles, and the stupid man said it needed to be replaced, i didn't get the manual as i bought the car used, and I didn't know about this forum :(

Last edited:
holy s***. I didn't expect it to be that much. I'm starting to really like the timing chain that my Maxima had.

Back