Air compressor and air tools ... what's good?

ChopstickHero

zoom zoom, eh?
Contributor
:
2003 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2000 Miata
I'm in the market for a small air compressor and some air tools. Some times bolts are too hard to budge and can be a real pain in the ass (stripped bolts, etc etc... ) Other option is to go to a shop and pay somebody to install stuff, but I rather get some tools and learn on my own instead.

So, what are some good air compressors and air tools that you guys have?
Air compressor brand:
Tank Size (gal):
Working pressure (psi):
Air Tools used:
Drive size (3/8", 1/2"):

I got this compressor about 6 months ago. I've very happy with it.
My compressor came as a "kit" thought, it had a hose, impact, ratchet, and hammer. Everything in the kit sucks. Buy your tools seperate.
I bought this hammer and it kicks the snot out of frozen bolts.

I have a Craftsman 15 gallon compressor.

What you really care about is how many CFM it can do at 90psi...

<table> <tbody><tr><td>SCFM Delivery At 40 psi

</td> <td>4.9 SCFM

</td> </tr> <tr><td>SCFM Delivery At 90 psi

</td> <td>3.5 SCFM

</td></tr></tbody> </table>

"Craftsman 15 gal. Air Compressor, 3 hp. Vertical Tank Sears item #00916644000 Mfr. model #16644

Vertical portable compressor with a 3 hp umc motor for greater starting torque and improved operation in low-voltage conditions. 150 psi maximum working pressure. Operates many DIY air tools. 2-in. gauges. No assembly required. Includes a 3/8 in. ratchet and 20 pc. assembly kit."

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00916644000

I'm happy with mine overall. I THINK I paid about $180 for it (it was on sale for $200, and I got 10% off for getting a Sears card), so it was money well spent. I only have two problems with it.

1-It's damn loud. Make sure you buy those ear-muff things to attenuate the noise, or you'll have a headache in short time.

2-Since it's only 15 gallons, the motor will be running more than it won't be when it's under heavy use, so it makes issue #1 even worse.

However, it's a good balance between cost, performance, and size.

If you want to make good use of an air compressor, get something at least comparable to this.

Also, it comes with a small set of air tools, including some plastic hose. The plastic hose can tend to kink, so you may want to eventually replace it with a $20 rubber hose someday.

If you plan on doing major work on your car (engine, trans, suspension), spend another $100 when you can and get a good impact gun. Mine is my favorite damn tool ever.

Edit: Here's my impact gun...
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3369&mfrcode=APO&mfrpartnumber=AR3651

Back