Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!

Thread: Power window repair

Registered Member

Power window repair

I have a 2002 and last week the driver's side power window died a horrible death. It seems that the pully/cable assembly that actually moves the window has failed- a yellow plastic tab that allows the window to be pulled up snapped and caused all sorts of mischief.

I pulled the skin off the inside of the door and was able to see and kinda-sorta touch the broken bits but navigating through the frame of the door was really hard! I called the dealer for a quote on fixing it (I like to do this as a benchmark for how difficult a task will be) and they quoted me only an hour to replace the assembly. This makes me suspect that there is a way to remove the big metal thing I am trying to stick my fingers through...

Does anyone have any advice on this? I would have guessed it would be an all day chore with the poor visibility and access. I am tempted to just throw down the 120 plus parts to let someone else mess with it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
    T

00 civic ex

Quote Originally Posted by Twonk
    I have a 2002 and last week the driver's side power window died a horrible death. It seems that the pully/cable assembly that actually moves the window has failed- a yellow plastic tab that allows the window to be pulled up snapped and caused all sorts of mischief.

I pulled the skin off the inside of the door and was able to see and kinda-sorta touch the broken bits but navigating through the frame of the door was really hard! I called the dealer for a quote on fixing it (I like to do this as a benchmark for how difficult a task will be) and they quoted me only an hour to replace the assembly. This makes me suspect that there is a way to remove the big metal thing I am trying to stick my fingers through...

Does anyone have any advice on this? I would have guessed it would be an all day chore with the poor visibility and access. I am tempted to just throw down the 120 plus parts to let someone else mess with it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
    T
    First you remove the door panel. You have to remove the window glass to . get the metal thing out. It is bolted to the door with two bolts. and disconnect the wiring harness. the new part goes in reverse order. An hour sounds about right.
    00 protege Dx-5spd- *sold*
    00 civic ex
    04 yamaha R1 - my speed rocket

black ops modifications.. AzteCypher's Avatar

2001 Mazda Protege LX

Items For Sale
    This happened to me. It was real easy to fix. I believe I might have some pics lying around. Let me look for them tomorrow and I'll let you know.
    ˇAgarra Calle!

Check out my mods -> 2001 Mazda Protege LX aka Rum Runner

Chicago Detailing Guru! blue-sun's Avatar

2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

My front pass side window won't go up or down anymore. haven't taken the skin off yet to see what's wrong.

2002 Mazda Protege5

Driver Side window broke

My wife was driving my 02 MP5 and she said the window started rolling down. She was unable to get it back up. I was out of town. I got home and removed the door panel and the plastic covering, and found the small yellow plastic tab at the bottom of my door. Does anyone have pics on how to repair this??? I can pull the window up manuaaly, then it just drops back down.

Thank-you!!!

Pics are great too, if you've got them!!!

~Richard

2002 Mazda Protege 5
    Mods: Injen Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, BOSCH Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, DIY Painted Calipers, Punch 501X Amplifier, 10" JL Audio Subwoofer, Sylvania Silverstar Headlight/Fog Light bulbs, DIY FOG LIGHTS ON

2008 MS3 GT

i don't know if you can fix it, but you can buy the window regulator for the door and install it. it's a pretty easy job, just takes time. I just installed power windows in my car but I didn't take any pics.

to take out the regulator, there are 3 screws that hold the motor in place, 2 screws in the top and one in the bottom that hold the actuator (which goes vertically across the door) and 2 that hold the window (you have to roll the window down about 1/3 to see the screws)

Mazda, Protege, 2000 LX

Question

I know this is old, but I am having the same problem with my 2003 Protege.
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=12308
    I know some people here promised some pics, but time got the best of them. Perhaps there is more exposure here.

Hopefully the pics in the link will be of some use, but I have not managed to get to the window assembly.

Registered Member

Mazda 323F

Quote Originally Posted by mazpro View Post
    i don't know if you can fix it, but you can buy the window regulator for the door and install it. it's a pretty easy job, just takes time. I just installed power windows in my car but I didn't take any pics.

to take out the regulator, there are 3 screws that hold the motor in place, 2 screws in the top and one in the bottom that hold the actuator (which goes vertically across the door) and 2 that hold the window (you have to roll the window down about 1/3 to see the screws)
    how can i get to those screws if the window can't come down??

Registered Member

1999 Mazda Protege LX

So i started my car today and The front passenger power window and both rear power windows will not work or go down at all. all three died today at the very same time. The front driver power window is the only one that is working and is working perfectly fine.

When i use the switch to control them to go down i can hear them clicking so I am assuming it must be the regulator but is it possible for all three of them to die at the exact same time ? Or are they wired in series so maybe it is just the front passenger regulator / motor that has failed , and if i fix that one the other two rear windows will starting working again as well??

Please help me diagnose this issue, any advice or input is welcome. Thanks.

Registered Member

mazda protege dx 03

I am pretty sure your switch has a malfunction in it. Id have to go check and see. The easy way to find out is to take the panels off and use a battery and some jumper wires and unplugg the regulators and power them up if it makes a noise then switch the negative and positive and the window should go down. If it dont it is infact bad. If all three are bad. Which is highly unlikely then your electrical system fried them somehow. I will bet that its the switch. Try the lock windows button. Just guessing.