Installing new Pioneer DEH-860MP head unit

arkitek

What do I need to install the new Pioneer HU?

A Pioneer-Mazda harness?

But with the Kenwood installed on the MSP, anyone know what's needed?
Thanks a bunch!

IDK what the pioneer harness looks like, but I didn't need anything special to install my JVC unit. I unplugged the Kenwood and the harness in there plugged right into my JVC. I was pretty surprised. All you should need is a harness from BestBuy. Just go there, get one for the Protege, and don't open it until you know you actually need it (after you pull out the stock Kenwood and see if the harness in there will plug into your unit).

Pardon my ignorance but it sounds like I don't need one either?
The harness in the MSP that works for the Kenwood will fit the Pioneer also as it's universal?
Thanks for helping out a newbie here.

i haven't looked at the harness for the MSP, but the harness for the stock Kenwood may fit your pioneer as well. If it doesn't, your pioneer should come with a plug harness that you will have to splice into your stock harness. this means cutting off the Kenwood plug and using those wires to attach to your Pioneer plug.

I'll explain it a little better. Here is how the Kenwood radio is hooked up in the MSP.

Stock Protege Harness [plug] Aftermarket harness [spliced wires and tape] Kenwood harness [plug] Kenwood Head unit

The part what was interchangeble was the plug between the heat unit and the kenwood harness. The part you may need to buy from BestBuy (or another speaker shop) is the harness between the stock protege harness and the pioneer harness. I was lucky in that the kenwood harness was interchangable with my JVC harness. It might be the same for everyone, but you never know. Just buy one from BestBuy to be on the safe side and return it later if you don't need it.

Back