Official: 2006 Subaru Impreza Impreza & WRX (info & specs for America)

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
97sl1e.jpg

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote </TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>
SUBARU REDESIGNS REPOWERS 2006 IMPREZA LINE
IMPROVED PERFORMANCE FOR 2006 WITH NEW 2.5 i POWERTRAIN
IMPREZA WRX ADDS 2.5-LITER BOXER TURBO
RESTYLED IMPREZA FEATURES BOLD NEW STYLING

CHERRY HILL, N.J., July 21, 2005 Subaru of America, Inc., Americas all-wheel drive leader, has introduced the more powerful, restyled 2006 Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models, featuring new engine technology and additional safety features.

Following an interior redesign for 2005, all Impreza models have been restyled for 2006. The new Subaru front-end design for Impreza features a three-section mesh-type grill inspired by the companys aircraft heritage, plus boldly styled headlights with smoke-tinted lenses. Sedan models feature revised wide-body fenders, while the wagons have their own flared fender design, as on the previous model. All 2006 Impreza models are also distinguished by a new tail lamp cluster design. An aluminum hood reduces weight over the front wheels on the Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport (WRX models already had an aluminum hood).

The Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models get a more powerful version of the 2.5-liter SOHC horizontally opposed (Boxer) engine for 2006. The addition of the i-Active Valve Lift system and the Electronic Throttle Control system boost horsepower to 173 from 165 while retaining the responsive low and mid-range torque that Subaru customers appreciate. All Subaru models are equipped with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive as standard equipment, giving them responsive handling and the safety benefit of optimal traction for all driving conditions.

The optional 4-speed direct control automatic transmission features enhanced control logic for 2006. Revisions to the electronically controlled version of Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive teamed
with this transmission contribute to better handling and enhanced traction performance.

On the safety front, all Impreza models gain the new dual-stage Subaru Advanced Airbag System, while the Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models also get the front seat head/chest side-impact
air bags that were already featured in the WRX models.

Impreza 2.5 i Americas Most Affordable All-Wheel Drive Sport-Compact The Impreza 2.5 RS models have been renamed 2.5 i for 2006, making their nomenclature consistent with the larger Subaru Legacy models. The 2.5 i Sedan and Sport Wagon models are
the most affordable all-wheel drive sport-compacts in the market. Both models continue with the sport-tuned suspension, 16-inch alloy wheels (new 5-spoke design for 2006) and sport-design front seats featured on the previous 2.5 RS.

Also continued is the generous standard equipment list that makes the Impreza 2.5 i models among the best-equipped cars in their class: Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), air conditioning, power windows, power mirrors and door locks, remote keyless entry, AM/FM stereo system with single-disc CD player, tilt-adjustable steering column, security system, an outside temperature gauge and variable intermittent windshield wipers.

The Impreza 2.5 i Sport Wagon offers excellent utility and versatility, providing 27.9 cu. ft. of cargo space with the 60/40-split rear seatback up and 61.6 cu. ft. of space with the seatbacks folded down.

Outback Sport The Sporty Crossover
Outback Sport, based on the Impreza 2.5 i Sport Wagon, helped usher in the crossover category a decade ago. The Outback Sport Special Edition introduced for 2005 continues with its highvalue package of additional amenities.

Outback Sport styling is highlighted by steel gray metallic lower body color, side moldings and bumpers, plus projector-beam halogen fog lights. Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, 4-wheel independent heavy-duty raised suspension and 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels with 205/55 R16
all-season tires give Outback Sport all-road, all-weather capability. Standard features are shared with the Impreza 2.5 i Sport Wagon and add a 12-volt cargo area power outlet, roof rails with cross bars and a rear bumper step pad.

The Outback Sport Special Edition enhances comfort, function and style with the addition of a leather-wrapped steering wheel, auto-dimming compass rear-view mirror and armrest extension,
plus a 140-watt AM/FM premium stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, six upgraded speakers and a sub-woofer. A rear gate spoiler accents the sporty appearance.

More Power and Enhanced Automatic Transmission
The naturally aspirated 2.5-liter boxer engine in Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models gains the new i-Active Valve Lift system that boosts horsepower to 173 from 165 in the 2005 models.
Just as important, the new technology improves real world drivability and performance. Peak torque output remains at 166 lb.-ft. at 4,400 rpm still one of the highest torque ratings in the
segment.

Using oil pressure generated by engine speed and load, the i-Active system varies intake valve lift by locking the tappet into a higher position by means of a transverse pin. The effect is that of
having two separate tappets to act on the camshaft lobe operating the intake valve. Variable lift works on one of the two intake valves. At low engine speeds the two valves open at different
levels, causing a swirl of air and fuel and boosting torque. At higher speeds, both valves are opened in the high position to increase horsepower.

The optional 4-speed direct control electronic automatic transmission features the more advanced adaptive shift control system first introduced for the 2005 Legacy and Outback models. The new
system controls transmission shift points based on driver input and vehicle load to optimize engine performance. The slope control feature provides engine-braking control on descents.

Enhanced Safety
The Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models gain front seat head/chest side-impact air bags,
which were already featured in the WRX models. All Impreza models for 2006 get the new Subaru Advanced Frontal Airbag system. The drivers side air bag deploys according to the drivers proximity to the steering wheel, as measured by a sensor on the seat track. In the
passenger side front seat, a sensor module detects weight on the passenger seat first determining if its occupied, and if so by a child or adult to control air bag deployment. As part of the system, the dashboard features a new Airbag indicator light.

The Subaru Ring Frame Reinforced body structure provides Impreza models with outstanding protection in many types of collisions. A hydroformed front subframe and side sills along with tailored-blank welded B-pillars provide an exceptionally strong structure. The high degree of rigidity contributes to sharp handling response and smooth ride quality while helping to reduce interior noise.

On all Impreza models, the standard 4-channel / 4-sensor Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) incorporates Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD). This system enhances braking performance and stability by actively optimizing braking force between the front and rear wheels
according to how the vehicle is loaded with passengers and cargo.
In all Subaru models, the front 3-point seatbelts integrate electrically triggered pre-tensioners and force limiters. Active front seat head restraints in the Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models are
designed to help reduce whiplash injury in a rear collision. The safety brake pedal system is designed to yield during a serious frontal impact in order to help reduce injury to the drivers lower limbs.

Standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is a complete system comprised of the horizontally opposed boxer
engine and the all-wheel drive power distribution system that varies by model and transmission.

The aluminum boxer engine and simple, symmetrical drivetrain layout help to lower the center of gravity, which in turn contributes to precision handling response.

Impreza 2.5 i and Outback Sport models equipped with the 5-speed manual transmission utilize a viscous coupling locking center differential that distributes power 50/50 front to rear. In models
with the 4-speed direct control automatic transmission, an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch actively manages the power distribution based on acceleration,
deceleration and available traction. Both systems power all four wheels all the time and will transfer more power to the wheels with the best grip should slippage occur. For 2006, new control logic in the automatic transmission AWD system enhances stability by monitoring individual wheel speeds and reacting more quickly to wheel slippage. The new control logic also helps to improve tight corner braking, contributing to more neutral handling response (reduced understeer and oversteer). The system provides enhanced traction on slippery surfaces, as well.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

97sl1u.jpg

97sl5x.jpg

97sl6p.jpg

2006 WRX specs... <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD>Quote </TD></TR><TR><TD class=quote>
2006 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX
WRX TR Sedan WRX Sedan WRX Sport Wagon
WRX Limited Sedan WRX Limited Sport Wagon
Specifications
Body Styles 5-passenger sedan 5-passenger wagon (except WRX TR)
Engine Horizontally opposed (boxer), turbocharged/intercooled
Block Specially reinforced die-cast aluminum with integral cast iron cylinder liners,
five main bearings, semi-closed deck cylinder block design
Cylinders 4
Displacement 2,457 cc (150 cu. in.)
Bore x Stroke 99.5 x 79 mm (3.92 x 3.11 in.)
Heads/Valvetrain Aluminum alloy cylinder heads with double overhead belt-driven camshafts (DOHC),
four valves per cylinder, Subaru AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve
timing and sodium-filled exhaust valves
Compression ratio 8.4:1
Max. boost pressure 13.5 psi
Horsepower 230 @ 5,600 rpm
Torque 235 @ 3,600 rpm
Fuel/Induction Sequential multi-port fuel injection (MFI) with multi-spray injectors and Tumble
Generator Valves, Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system, turbocharger, intercooler
Ignition Direct with iridium-tipped sparkplugs
Firing order 1-3-2-4
Emission control system Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standard, 50-state certified
CA LEV 1 / Fed Bin 10
Fuel requirement 91 octane minimum
Alternator rating 12V, 110 Amps
Drivetrain Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
Transmission types Standard: 5-speed manual transmission Optional: 4-speed electronic automatic with
lockup torque converter (WRX Limited models only)
Man. trans. All Wheel
Drive
Viscous-coupling locking center differential
Auto trans. All Wheel
Drive
Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) using planetary center differential and
electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch
Gear ratios 5-speed manual 4-speed electronic automatic
R
--
Final drive 3.70 with viscous limited-slip rear
differential
3.90 with viscous limited-slip rear
differential
Chassis Unitized body construction with Ring-Frame Reinforced structure, hydroformed front
subframe and tailored blank-welded side sills and B-pillars
Suspension 4-wheel independent, sport-tuned (sedans with wider front track)
Front MacPherson-type struts with steel lower L-arms, aluminum transverse links, liquid
filled L-arm rear bushings, coil springs, stabilizer bar and negative-scrub geometry
Rear MacPherson-type struts with coil springs, trailing arms, twin aluminum parallel links
and stabilizer bar and negative-scrub geometry
Brakes Power assisted 4-wheel disc with 4-channel, 4-sensor anti-lock brake system (ABS)
and Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD)
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Specifications / 2
Front disc size 11.5 in. x 0.94 in., ventilated with 4-piston fixed-position calipers
Rear disc size 11.3 in. x 0.71 in., ventilated with 2-piston fixed-position calipers
Steering Rack-and-pinion with engine-speed controlled variable power assist and load-sensing
valve
Ratio 15.0:1
Turns, lock-to-lock 2.7
Turning circle 35.4 ft. curb to curb
Wheels 17 x 7.0JJ aluminum alloy
Tires 215/45 R17 91W Bridgestone RE92 all-season
Exterior Dimensions
Coefficient of drag (Cd) Sedan: 0.33 Sport Wagon: 0.37
Wheelbase 99.4 in.
Length 175.8 in.
Height Sedans: 56.7 in. Sport Wagons: 57.7 (58.5 inc. roof rails)
Width Sedans: 68.5 in. Sport Wagons: 66.7
Track (f/r) Sedans: 58.5 in. / 58.3 in. Sport Wagons: 57.7 / 57.3
Ground clearance 6.1 in.
Curb weight (lbs.) 5-speed manual 4-speed automatic
WRX TR Sedan NA NA
WRX Sedan 3,192 NA
WRX Sport Wagon 3,252 NA
WRX Limited Sedan 3,239 3,296
WRX Limited Sport
Wagon
3,294 3,347
Interior Dimensions
Headroom (f/r) Sedans (ex. Limited) : 38.6 in./36.7 in. Limited Sedan (moonroof): 36.3 in./36.6 in.
Sport Wagon: 39.7 in./37.3 in. Limited Sport Wagon (moonroof):
36.3/in./36.6 in.
Legroom (f/r) Sedan: 42.9 in./33.0 in. Sport Wagon: 42.9 in./33.7 in.
Hip room (f/r) Sedan: 53.3 in./51.9 in. Sport Wagon: 53.3 in./51.7 in.
Shoulder room (f/r) 52.7 in./52.9 in.
Trunk volume, sedan 11.0 cu. ft.
Cargo volume, Sport
Wagon
EPA rear seat up: 18.0 cu. ft. SAE rear seat down: Pending
EPA interior volume Sedan 87.6 cu. ft. Sport Wagon 90.4 cu. ft.
Capacities
Fuel 15.9 gal.
Engine oil capacity 5.0 qt. w/ filter
Coolant capacity 8.1 qt. (8.0 qt. with automatic)
Towing capacity 2,000 lbs. (Class 1), 200-lb. tongue weight
Fuel Efficiency 5-speed manual 4-speed automatic
EPA city mpg 20 21
EPA highway mpg 26 26</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.subdriven.com/news/publish/Subaru_News/article_385.shtml

I will take one and buy the first aftermarket front grill that comes out. That engine has great potential.... so it boosts 13.5 at WOT stock?

that looks badass. are 17's standard on the new wrx? or are they just an option

What was involved in detuning that 2.5 liter? Since its boosting nearly the same psi as an sti and has slightly higher compression. (I am too busy at work right now to read all those specs.)

there are going to be sooo many 2006 STI's with 2004 front end conversions its gonna be nuts! STI = the new honda civic for swapping parts from various years to make a nice front end..

I saw a new subbie SUV with the new front end on it the other day and LOVED the car from all angles until i saw the front and i couldnt belive how ******* ugly it was.

Subaru's designers need to be b**** slapped for making that front end.
I know subaru was never really known for its good looks but damn!

you guys are all crazy... everyone hated the original wrx styling too. then, maybe because the car was so badass... or maybe it's because they seemed to be everywhere... the styling began to grow on you. i'll admit... i'm not thrilled with the styling either but... it's not like the 05's winnin any beauty pageants either. in fact, one could argue, the 05 (while not as contraversal) got hit a few times on its way down.

anyway... look at it again. i see an evil/reptilian lookin face... kind've cool.

CHICO2003 said:
you guys are all crazy... everyone hated the original wrx styling too. then, maybe because the car was so badass... or maybe it's because they seemed to be everywhere... the styling began to grow on you. i'll admit... i'm not thrilled with the styling either but... it's not like the 05's winnin any beauty pageants either. in fact, one could argue, the 05 (while not as contraversal) got hit a few times on its way down.

anyway... look at it again. i see an evil/reptilian lookin face... kind've cool.

wtf...that grill is nasty.....who cares if the car is badass....you can make a camaro with 500+hp and blow the doors off anything....but it still looks like s***....

all I'm sayin is... for those who dont' like the look, it will most likey grow on you

as far as the camaro reference... I wouldn't necessarily say they look like s***. One of the reasons I never liked camaros is due to the fact that they're typical, cheaply made american cars good at doing one thing only. i can understand how one might convince themself a car is ugly just for those reasons. the original wrx was pretty much the opposite. which, in turn, ended up making people actually like the look of the car. if this was the first wrx to hit our shores the same thing would happen.

all I know is, these are going to be insanely popular. the type of guy who's going to buy one of these is going to love the fact that his car has a bigger engine and slightly more hp/tq than all the other wrxs out there. the fact that it's so blatantly obvious (due to the redesign) is something he'll totally dig. hell... I know I would!

daedalus said:
I saw a new subbie SUV with the new front end on it the other day and LOVED the car from all angles until i saw the front and i couldnt belive how ******* ugly it was.

Thats the "All New Subaru B9 Tribeca". They keep showing commercials on all my favorite tv channels...and it just gets uglier every time i see it. the commercial now makes me angry (dark)

I actually passed one with a manufacturer plate a few months back and thought it was awesome looking...until i saw that god awful front end, of course. It doesn't look as terrible on the wrx, but it definitely needs work. From what I've read, this is where the design on all the new subbies are going...they want to have that signature front end that everyone seems to be going with nowadays. I do like the headlights though...but I keep seeing saturn ion in them...

Back