Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

I already drive the speed limit or slightly under. My commute is almost all highway with very little stops. For Saint, who knows Omaha, I live out by 192nd and Q and commute to Lincoln, so I drive down 204th street, through Gretna and then hop on the interstate, take it all the way to the 9th street exit in Lincoln and only drive a couple blocks in town.

For everyone else, the first part is a suburban highway that is 55mph, which runs through a small town where it drops to 45, then 35 but there are only a 2 stop lights and often times I don't have to stop at all. The interstate is 65mph near the limits of Omaha and Lincoln and 75mph in between. I usually drive 65 in the 65 and 72.5 in the 75. Doing this means I almost never have to pass anyone and I can totally zone out (not in a dangerous way, I mean just relax). There is really no way to cut any appreciable time off the drive so I don't bother speeding. If I get over 27 consistently I'll be happy, but if over 28 is not a fluke, whoa!

Last edited:
I routinely get 28-30mpg. It's no fluke.
And while I don't drive like a granny, about 75% of my miles are 75-80 mph on the freeway. (drive)

Yeah, I could usually get around 28-30 on my Mazda3 hatachback automatic, but can't produce the same numbers with the Mazada5.

I'm trying figure out how to squeeze more mpg outta of the Mazda5.

Please don't fall victim to that bogus load of garbage. Placebo effect is very powerful on some (just like Jedi mind tricks, only evil).

Averaging 495-515 miles per tank, around 34-34.6 mpg and I drive the car moderately hard.

My wife gets around 27-28 with her ES. Only differences--I have an OBTB, UDP and 4/2/1 header with no cats. She's running same Injen CAI and Magnaflow CB, otherwise no mods.

Also, 80-90% of my driving is 65-75 on freeways; she does more local stuff, probably around 75%.

mazdaFIVEmike said:
Anyone thought about adding pure acetone to their gas? I've been struggling to get mileage over 23mpg and I am considering giving the acetone a try for a few tanks to see if there is any improvement. Any thoughts out there?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_Additive:FAQ

(scratch)

There is a REALLY long thread about this. I added it in my Mazdaspeed for a month and was seeing 20 more miles per tank. I didn't change my driving habits and the weather was about the same the whole time. Car seemed to run smoother to. Didn't hurt anything.

Wuster said:
Yeah, I could usually get around 28-30 on my Mazda3 hatachback automatic, but can't produce the same numbers with the Mazada5.

I'm trying figure out how to squeeze more mpg outta of the Mazda5.

Won't help much but, CAI, CB exhaust, index spark plugs, better spark plugs, driving 45mph with the windows down and no heat or ac lol

Blitzd said:
Won't help much but, CAI, CB exhaust, index spark plugs, better spark plugs, driving 45mph with the windows down and no heat or ac lol

Man, if I drove around the DC beltway at only 45mph, I'm gonna get shot! (boom07)

Wuster said:
Man, if I drove around the DC beltway at only 45mph, I'm gonna get shot! (boom07)

Ha me too. The cops use the speedlimits around here as guide lines.

On my way home at night

Lane1: 75-90
Lane2: 65-70
Lane3: 55-60

Well, there was obviously an "amount of fuel in tank" error or something because my second tank was in the low 20s (with a dramatic drop in temp but no change in driving habits). Based on the difference, I'd say both measurements are invalid, or at least, they should be averaged which puts me in the 25.5 range. I'll see what tank #3 does but I've had more in town driving and long warm ups due to the cold temps so...

gino said:
Averaging 495-515 miles per tank, around 34-34.6 mpg and I drive the car moderately hard.

My wife gets around 27-28 with her ES. Only differences--I have an OBTB, UDP and 4/2/1 header with no cats. She's running same Injen CAI and Magnaflow CB, otherwise no mods.

Also, 80-90% of my driving is 65-75 on freeways; she does more local stuff, probably around 75%.
We're talking Mazda5
premacy3yx.jpg

bulwnkl said:
Please don't fall victim to that bogus load of garbage. Placebo effect is very powerful on some (just like Jedi mind tricks, only evil).

As far as I know the placebo effect is on something that is subjective - I agree that when people say the car runs smoother or has more power - those results may be a bit skewed because its a subjective analysis. As for getting more miles per gallon - its a measurable item that can be quantified by keeping a mileage log. However, having said all that it may still be bogus and that's why I was wanting to get some real feedback from someone that may have tried it.

Blitzd said:
There is a REALLY long thread about this. I added it in my Mazdaspeed for a month and was seeing 20 more miles per tank. I didn't change my driving habits and the weather was about the same the whole time. Car seemed to run smoother to. Didn't hurt anything.

OK sorry to bring it up without checking the other forums... I see the discussions got quite heated and that certainly was not my intent here.

No sense in..... (deadhorse

mazdaFIVEmike said:
OK sorry to bring it up without checking the other forums... I see the discussions got quite heated and that certainly was not my intent here.

No sense in..... (deadhorse

Yeah no harm no foul, just warning you. Most controversial things get heated around here lol. No way around it I guess. I used it and was ok but I always had a thought in the back of my mind saying what if.

Mazda 5 GT auto, worst tank yet........18.3 US mpg, or 12.82L/100km.
Was cold(+-)-20degC out for the past week, as well as 130km/h on the highway, and using manumatic alot.
Never THAT low before.

Filled up again, so now I have:
28.8 MPG
23.5 MPG - I think this one was a filling error as when I got out there was gas running down the side of the car so I'm considering this an anomaly at this point.
27.2 MPG

Blitzd said:
Yeah no harm no foul, just warning you. Most controversial things get heated around here lol. No way around it I guess. I used it and was ok but I always had a thought in the back of my mind saying what if.

Thanks Blitzd!

OK, Here's my first post..

Regarding MPG, Just wanted to share this with ya'll :eek:)

Just drove back from Austria this morning, through Germany on the Autobahn to Copenhagen where I live.. 11-1/2 hour trip.

First off, there IS a speed limit on the Autobahn now (bummer) it's 130km/h. Secondly does anyone truely obey it... well sort of ;o) People are still real respectful on the road. You can get killed REAL quick if you get stupid. (btw.. yes, the top end is 205km/hr.) You still get flashed by the big Benzes and Audi's. Those cars are made to handle that speed. This car is NOT. (no flames please (blowjob) ..)

That being said, two weeks ago I bought the 145hp turbo desiel sport model here in DK. My trip computer read from Munich to Rostock 7 ltrs/100 km. Based on the translation from that to miles/gal I was looking at 33.6mpg. When I was driving a little ..ahem... slower I was getting 36.19 or 6.5ltrs/100km.

I did the calculations here: http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/fuel_economy.php

This is really a great car (first) . The TD has TONs of power. Real pulling power too. Getting over the steep grades at high altitudes in the alps was no worries! Never had to take it out of 6th gear.

Back