Mazda5 real-world Mileage numbers

308.5 mi./13.037 gal.=23.66 mpg. All city, but no gridlock. It's the first fill-up since delivery, so I'm hoping mileage improves post break-in.

I'm finding that driving around the city, we're averaging about 23 mpg and I'm getting around 28 mpg on the hwy. (Touring, auto)

In my past experience with the Mazda3, I found that if you try to keep the hwy speed either at 70 mph or just slightly below 70 mph, the mileage goes way up to around 29 to 30 mpg.

So in my book, getting 28 mpg on hwy isn't bad at all.

In the summer I was getting 25-27. Now that it's cold, it's pathetic- around 17-19. My Mz6 goes from about 30 summer to 27 in the winter so I'm kinda dissappointed, but we'll see when (if) it warms up again. (My old Taurus wagon got 32 on the freeway so Mazda needs to work on this a little.)

Last edited:
About the defroster, someone on another board told me his 3 runs the A/C compressor even when the HVAC is set to heater and he asked me whether the 5 was the same way. We have the ACC, but always run it on manual so I've been fooling with it and guess what? It does the same thing. So, at least during colder weather, the A/C is also on all the time even when you have it set to strictly heat. Switching to bi-level shuts the A/C off. I really wish it didn't work that way, but I don't know how to stop it conveniently. Anyone?

Oh, as to mileage: since break-in was completed, we've seen ~22.5 (I don't recall the decimals exactly) in pure city driving, and ~28.5 on a pure freeway trip. This is a 5-speed Touring.

bulwnkl said:
About the defroster, someone on another board told me his 3 runs the A/C compressor even when the HVAC is set to heater and he asked me whether the 5 was the same way. We have the ACC, but always run it on manual so I've been fooling with it and guess what? It does the same thing. So, at least during colder weather, the A/C is also on all the time even when you have it set to strictly heat. Switching to bi-level shuts the A/C off. I really wish it didn't work that way, but I don't know how to stop it conveniently. Anyone?

Oh, as to mileage: since break-in was completed, we've seen ~22.5 (I don't recall the decimals exactly) in pure city driving, and ~28.5 on a pure freeway trip. This is a 5-speed Touring.
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2171815&postcount=36

The reason the compressor cycles when you have the vent set to defrost (even though the heat is cranked) is so the compressor does not lock up due to exposure to salt, sand, slush, etc.
Don't want the compressor to cycle? Keep it off defrost as much as possible.

The A/C cycle only when the outside temp is over 0C/32F, under this temperature, the compressor don't get engage. This is to help dehumidified the cabin. It is automatic when the defrost is on.

Yes, I am aware that the compressor will cycle during cold weather when in the defrost position. This is to assist with 'fog' control on the windshield by dehumidifying the air in the cabin.

I think I didn't explain properly. I don't mean the temperature control, I mean the air-direction control. The compressor is on when the vent is set to floor (what I often call the "heater" position). So, if I just want the heater on my feet (not on defrost at all), I get the A/C compressor cycling all the time.

This is different from every other car I've ever operated before in my life, regardless of brand or continent of origin. I'm not forgetting to turn off the ACC first, the A/C button is not being left on, I've played with it some in the garage (which was 45-50 degrees F) to see what happens. When the airflow is directed to FLOOR ONLY, the A/C compressor cycles just as it would if it were on defrost. Is there a convenient way to disable this so that the A/C compressor cycles ONLY when I push the button OR when it's on defrost in cold weather?

Last edited:
Mazda considers this a "feature". It's the same way on the 3. There's no easy way to disable it but it is possible.

If you have manual HVAC, there's a 3-way switch behind the mode selector knob that controls the A/C compressor function, as well as the fresh/recirc function (defrost also forces fresh air). If you remove/disable this switch, you should regain control of your a/c compressor.

Of course... this is assuming that the 5 works the same as the 3. (eyeballs)

If you have ACC, the only thing I can think of is to put a switch in the wire for the compressor clutch.

Oh, and my mileage always drops 3-5 mpg in the winter. I think it's a combination of taking longer to warm up and the more volatile winter fuel mix.

Last edited:
goldwing2000 said:
Mazda considers this a "feature"...

If you have ACC, the only thing I can think of is to put a switch in the wire for the compressor clutch.

Crap; I figured as much. I really hate ACC but we really like the Touring model's other features/price. Well, I guess it's bi-level for me when I'm in a fuel economy mood (when am I not?).

OT:
Goldwing, is that avatar really how a Goldwing's engine works? I thought it would be like a Subaru where the opposing pistons move in opposite directions rather than the same direction (i.e. they both reach TDC at the same time). Must not use a split-pin crank, huh?

bulwnkl said:
OT:
Goldwing, is that avatar really how a Goldwing's engine works? I thought it would be like a Subaru where the opposing pistons move in opposite directions rather than the same direction (i.e. they both reach TDC at the same time). Must not use a split-pin crank, huh?

Nope. That's a Bourke engine. There's a link in my sig.

A Goldwing's engine is basically the same as a Subies, it just has more pistons. :D
More like a Porsche. (thumb)

back on topic: the 3 has a notch between floor and bi-level that I use 99% of the time. I just close the dash vents and most of it goes to the floor, anyway.

O.K. a revision after 5 weeks of ownership. Through 12 tanks of Gas my 5 (Automatic Touring) averages 27.4 MPG on the Highway keeping the speed right at or just under 70 MPH.

Magnum said:
O.K. a revision after 5 weeks of ownership. Through 12 tanks of Gas my 5 (Automatic Touring) averages 27.4 MPG on the Highway keeping the speed right at or just under 70 MPH.

Yup, 70 mph seems to be the magic number.

I used to be able to get 30 mpg on my automatic Mazda3 hatchback when I stay just under or at 70 mph. It would drop down to around 25 mpg when I ventured up towards 75 to 80 mph.

We're getting around 25 mpg on the Mazda5 with 60% city, 40% highway.

Wuster said:
Yup, 70 mph seems to be the magic number.

I used to be able to get 30 mpg on my automatic Mazda3 hatchback when I stay just under or at 70 mph. It would drop down to around 25 mpg when I ventured up towards 75 to 80 mph.

We're getting around 25 mpg on the Mazda5 with 60% city, 40% highway.
Just like my 6i. Over 70 (3000rpm) and it drops like a rock. Kinda makes me wonder if a deeper overdrive gear would help mpg.

065 said:
Just like my 6i. Over 70 (3000rpm) and it drops like a rock. Kinda makes me wonder if a deeper overdrive gear would help mpg.

Probably not. The engine would be working harder, so any drop in RPM would be offset by an increase in engine load.

I'd like taller gearing just the same. The higher load (larger throttle opening) will reduce pumping losses and should still result in an mpg gain. I can handle shifting down once going up the steepest part of the pass if I have to. We saw a little over 25mpg on our 80mph freeway tank; a couple points lower than when we've gone ~10mph slower.

Well, I REALLY hesitate to post this because I almost don't believe it myself. But, I have no reason to believe (at this point) that the pump shut off early or anything like that. Any way, with still less than 500 miles on the engine, I got 28.8 mpg (95% hwy) on my FIRST tank of gas. I will keep this thread updated with future tanks to see if it was a fluke.

Charles J P said:
Well, I REALLY hesitate to post this because I almost don't believe it myself. But, I have no reason to believe (at this point) that the pump shut off early or anything like that. Any way, with still less than 500 miles on the engine, I got 28.8 mpg (95% hwy) on my FIRST tank of gas. I will keep this thread updated with future tanks to see if it was a fluke.
Must be beginners luck
blum.gif

How are you liking your 5 this first week?

Yeah, I have no idea how I achieved that mileage. I filled it up when the gauge was at a little lower than half. I'll try to let it get lower on the next fill-ups because errors due to pump/filling variations will be minimized as the overall amount of fuel being added increases. Coming from a much more powerful vehicle, I feel no real need to "play" with the new car because it wouldn't be as fun as what I was driving any way and fuel economy was such a huge reason for trading. We'll see how it goes going forward. I'm also happy not having to fill up my tank every other day.

Charles J P said:

Dang...how fast were you driving on the highway? I'd slow down a few mph and move over to the right lane for an extra 3 mpg. :)

Back