Remote Starter possible problem?

Hi All,

I think I might have a problem with my remote starter. I have a 2005' 3, with a "My Ford" universal remote starter (it was less $$$ than the one with the Mazda name on it). All of a sudden yesterday, it doesn't start anymore! The ACC power comes on (radio etc), but it never engages the starter motor. One weird thing did happen beforehand: I used the remote start, and was cleaning out my car and didn't insert the key. Well it shut off after like 5 minutes (instead of the 15 minutes stated in the manual), maybe something to do with the doors being open. I am hoping it is something simple like the system needs to be "reset". Does anyone have any experience or advice?

TIA,
Will

Check for a separate fuse behind the alarm module. I fixed a no-start on an MSP over the weekend and that was the problem.

Location?

goldwing2000 said:
Check for a separate fuse behind the alarm module. I fixed a no-start on an MSP over the weekend and that was the problem.

Hi Goldwing,

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any guesses at where this module might be located?

TIA,
Will

The one on the MSP was up under the dash, on the left side (above the clutch pedal).

goldwing2000 said:
The one on the MSP was up under the dash, on the left side (above the clutch pedal).

Thanks again GoldWing! I took a quick look and I think I found it. It is "Zip-Tied" in that exact area, and sort of hangs down. So I am guessing that is it, as I doubt anything factory installed would be mickey-moused like that :)
I am going to try to find the fuse at lunchtime.

Take care,
Will

Update

goldwing2000 said:

YEP! You were excatly right GoldWing. I didn't see any fuse that was glaringly obvious, so instead of getting myself into trouble I called the dealer (the starter has a 3/36k warranty). The third party installer came right out to my work. It took him all of 5 minutes to evaluate and fix. Apparently, the factory that builds the module sent out a bunch of units with undersized fuses (20A instead of 25A). Needless to say, he has been doing a whole crapload of fuse replacements. So if you happen to recently have had a 3rd party remote starter installed (mine says "Code Alarm" on it), you might run into this problem.

Take care,
Will

Oh, stop... you'll make me blush.

Thanks, though. I try not to open my mouth unless I'm reasonably certain of what the hell I'm talking about.

Unlike some people. (stfu)

tphskab said:
glad to see it fixed. curious....your car auto or manual?

It is an Auto Transmission.
Will a dealer even install a remote start in a manual? IIRC, in times past, you couldn't even get one for a manual because of the clutch pedal needing to be depressed. In fact I remember a buddy that got a small independent shop to somehow hotwire the setup, and one day he accidently started in gear and it sideswiped a wall.

Take care,
Will (drinks)

It's possible to put one in a manual legitimately but it's a lot more complicated. There are a lot of interlocks between the clutch switch, e-brake, etc. and generally a certain way it has to be armed before shutting down the vehicle.

goldwing2000 said:
It's possible to put one in a manual legitimately but it's a lot more complicated. There are a lot of interlocks between the clutch switch, e-brake, etc. and generally a certain way it has to be armed before shutting down the vehicle.

iirc they have some sort of set up that it has to be in neutral, and the e-brake must be engaged for it to start... no more monkeyin around though if these conditions aren't met the car won't start, no chance of it moving, though it cansuck if its frickin cold outside and you left your car in gear.... its usually a bit more pricey to get a remote starter for a manual as well... and i have heard some say that certian manuals can't be done... (could be a cop out or could be the manufacturer putting in something so only their remote starters work...)

Well I always leave mine in neutral with the parking brake engaged. how much would I be looking for the kit? Also, is the install real hard? (i am fairly good at install stuff, done almost everything on my car without trouble yet)

Back