speedometer not working

Lil Freek

:
'01 pro lx-t
So as most of you know, i did the Atx > Mtx swap a couple months ago, and now i'm boosted and I want to install the MPI tuner. Problem here, no CEL is permitted with the MPI.

Would my malfunctioning (not functioning at all) speedometer cause the CEL? I'm going to get my code(s) read tonight and we'll see what exactly i'm throwing.

Now, what could cause my speedo to not work? I bought the new alternator harness from Mazda on Tuesday ($200) and installed it all properly 'n s*** - still no speedo signal.
I have a Manual ECU, manual Engine harness, manual Alternator harness. I'm going to check some s*** out once i get a second car, but for now my car must be operational, so i can't rip out anymore wiring trying to troubleshoot this prob.

Does anybody know EXACTLY how the manual car gets it's signal for speed? There's a speedo sensor on the tranny, and the clip on the alternator harness, those are connected, and the harness is connected to the enginebay fusebox. From there, I dunno where that signal goes. The dashboard harness is the same for an ATx as a MTx, so i dunno where the problem lies. I'm assuming the signal goes from the fusebox to the dashboard harness to the ECU - am I missing something?

a side question: is there a list of all the CEL codes for the Protege?

Someone with a '92 protege had a similar problem, double check the speedo sensor on the tranny.

the clip is on the speedo sensor on the tranny.
how else could i verify the sensor?

I found the service manual has the list of codes - i'm assuming i'll throw a P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor circuit malfunctioning
fack.

I had a similar problem when I swapped for the mazdaspeed drivetrain. For me solution was very simple:

Under the brake booster/behind the battery there is a big white electrical plug. When I reinstalled it was'nt clipped completely causing the speedometer not tu work and the ABS light turn on. I realize this and pushed it completely and everything was find after that...

that could be my issue. The ECU i have is from a car with ABS, i don't have ABS.
i might be screwed right here.

FYI - i did research the ECU thing before i swapped... I was told that the ECU wouldn't make a difference, although i hadn't thought of the fact that cars with ABS calculate their speed with the ABS, not with the speedo sensor, right?
Now I gotta find another ECU from a car WITHOUT ABS, probably... *sigh*

Lil Freek said:
that could be my issue. The ECU i have is from a car with ABS, i don't have ABS.
i might be screwed right here.

I can't say about that but having this plug not completely plugged in caused my speedometer not to work AND ABS light to come on... But do you have a cluster from a mtx that has ABS? And do you have the ABS light turned on?

Lil Freek said:
i hadn't thought of the fact that cars with ABS calculate their speed with the ABS, not with the speedo sensor, right?

I have no idea about this... But on my P5 I do have ABS and I have a speed sensor on the tranny... so the speedometer might not take the speed from the abs... But this is all speculation! ;-)

the cluster is universal, atx=mtx.
my ABS light is on, as well as my parking brake lights... those will be taken out soon. the ECU is looking for ABS and sees nothing (which is expected)

Seems like i have a LOT more work to do until i figure this one out... i hope the MPI likes this CEL :p

Lil Freek said:
the cluster is universal, atx=mtx.
my ABS light is on, as well as my parking brake lights... those will be taken out soon. the ECU is looking for ABS and sees nothing (which is expected)

Seems like i have a LOT more work to do until i figure this one out... i hope the MPI likes this CEL :p

If the white plug is really inserted well, this is probably your problem... It did the same to me (speedometer not working, ABS and Parking brake lights on) when the plug was not inserted well. As for the cluster, I thought there was a physical difference between the atx and mtx... But as you said it might not affect the functionnality. If you need I have a mtx cluster from my P5 (I installed the MSP cluster) that I could borrow you for testing.

Hope this helps!

i have the white plug you're talking about, but because i have no ABS, i have nothing to plug it into, it's just flopping around my engine bay... so that part of the harness is getting no signal whatsoever

we'll see what the CEL is tonight, maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree for now.

Back