Cold air inlet from Corksport

tallrd

:
03 MSP Mica #369
I installed this new "Cowl Induction" style air inlet for my cold air intake lastnight, and I thought I'd share some thoughts. For those not familiar with this, it replaces the plastic panel in front of the front left wheel well immediately below the CAI allowing fresh air to be forced in (see thumnail provided by CS post-install on THEIR car). First of all, it DOES make a difference making my throttle response slightly better at low RPMs/speed and more noticable as I went faster/asked more of the engine. It also gives the car a more unique sound due to the fiberglass reflecting the sound of the CAI sucking air in--pretty noticeable actually (at least for me it was).

That said, although it's simple to install, there were no instructions provided, and I had to drill all the screw holes myself. This added a good 20 minutes to the install which kind of sucks.

For under $90 shipped, I'd do it again. However, it would be nice if Corksport at least pre-drilled the holes at the factory. This piece is specific to the Protege/MSP, so I don't see any reason why they don't do this other than displacing the work to the person who bought it.

I'd rate 7 out of 10 all things considered.

Attachments

• ariinduction.jpg
    ariinduction.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, a cowl induction is really located at the back of the hood, the base of the windshield. This has nothing to do with "cowl induction."

Britt

my friend did a mod like that using a dremel, a dryer duct from home depot and some epoxy. at least you can feel and hear the difference.

what about water getting into your intake, does this mod increase that chance? does this alter the turkey any (sonud wise)?

Last edited:
MSP#735 said:
what about water getting into your intake, does this mod increase that chance?

Hell yeah it would. Maybe if it were baffled a bit, but this design looks like a puddle sucker, great idea for say me here in Vegas though.

I stand corrected.

122 Vega said:
Just so everyone knows, a cowl induction is really located at the back of the hood, the base of the windshield. This has nothing to do with "cowl induction."

Britt

could you post pics from ground level from 10-15 feet away for me?
I wanna see how far the scoop hangs down
looks nice.

Instructions and pre-drilled holes for the "MSP puddle sucker 3000". Thanks for putting this info out, this is something we should consider.
I am glad to hear you at least approve of the installed product.
Enjoy.

hyyyyyydddddrrrooooooooooo llllllllllllooooooooooooccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh durrrr

I've had one of these my car for the past year plus. No problems in the rainy Northwest. The duct is fiberglass by the way....

Water is only an issue with intakes when you drive into big puddles. It's user/driver issue, not a product issue. An engine is not going to hydrolock from the wet ground/rain.

Last edited:
CorkSport said:
Remind me to buy you a Frosty sometime Ben. (friday)

A frosty cold beer or a frozen processed dairy product from Wendys?

HorsepowerFreak said:
I've had one of these my car for the past year plus. No problems in the rainy Northwest. The duct is fiberglass by the way....

Water is only an issue with intakes when you drive into big puddles. It's user/driver issue, not a product issue. An engine is not going to hydrolock from the wet ground/rain.

I'm really relieved that you've had good experience with yours. I was beginning to get nervous with some of the comments about sucking in water, but you confirmed what I thought all along.

Also, I have to give props to CS for being on the ball and wanting to do better by their customers in improving their service and products. That's great service imo. (first)

I'll send Chris home with the beer that's still in the fridge.

I kinda like the name- MSP Puddle Sucker 3000

Last edited:
MoJoeTCM said:
hyyyyyydddddrrrooooooooooo llllllllllllooooooooooooccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh durrrr

do you drive your car around in a lake? unless your filter is totally submerged in a puddle it will never do anything to your car. water spray off the road will never even make it to your TB. It has to go through the hot turbo then through the intercooler. But first it has to make its way through the air filter.
It would take a lot of water all at one time to get through the filter through the turbo and into the motor.

have you heard about water injection?

Prodigy said:
could you post pics from ground level from 10-15 feet away for me?
I wanna see how far the scoop hangs down
looks nice.

as requested plus a photo of 'er good side just cuz Mazda made this car so friggin' sexy...(cf1 hood coming next week :) )

Attachments

• Frontairinduct.JPG
    Frontairinduct.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 206
  • airinductcloseup.JPG
    airinductcloseup.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 182
  • closeupleftfront.JPG
    closeupleftfront.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 192
  • MSPsideview.JPG
    MSPsideview.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
tallrd said:
as requested plus a photo of 'er good side just cuz Mazda made this car so friggin' sexy...(cf1 hood coming next week :) )

sexy tires! seems we have similar taste...lol

pb4ugoout said:
sexy tires! seems we have similar taste...lol

ha. funny--I never noticed you have the same tires as I do listed in your sig. Those tires are great for this car.

Back