Sub Stopped Working!!

Mazdaspeed989

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I was driving along today and all of a sudden my sub came back on...I don't usually have the bass up very loud so i hadn't even noticed that it stopped working. It stayed on for about a minute then stopped working again. Anyone else have this problem? Any idea as to what it might be? I'm guessing a bad connection somewhere since it came back on shortly but i wouldn't know where to look. It's the stock system for the MSP. Thanks for any ideas

could be the sub is going bad or the amp is going bad on the factory setup, if there is a plug on it that you can check the power check to see if the voltage drops on 12v or remote turn on and if so then there is problem with wires if not them it is something to do with the sub or amp.

the sub is blown, common problem, get it replaced under warranty, or get a new sub that doesn't suck.

Had it checked by circuit city today...they weren't much help since it's not their product...they don't really care. I may just get rid of the amp and sub and replace them with a better setup...12" maybe. I don't think the sub is blown because it came on a couple of times (again today) and sounded fine. I'll probably tear everything out of the trunk tomorrow and see if i can't find a bad connection. If i take it back to mazda will they say anything about my exhaust or other mods? anyone ever have any problems with that? Thanks for the thoughts

If the problem is intermittent, then the problem is with the amp or the wiring of your amplifier. What kind of amp are you using? It could be poor power wire or ground wire of the amp too. Just need more info in order to trouble shoot.

i have the same problem...i was so giddy when it started working, i never knew it wasnt working, cuz i guess...lol it never worked... a few days ago it jus tripped and turned on..

so it is intermittant... i dont know where to start to look for it... but I do have a new JL 8w3v2d2 coming on the way. I'll let u know if its just the sub or wiring... maybe i shud bring it in first... and get everything replaced (hopefully) b4 dropping in the new sub... suggestions?

Mazdaspeed989 said:
Had it checked by circuit city today...they weren't much help since it's not their product...they don't really care. I may just get rid of the amp and sub and replace them with a better setup...12" maybe. I don't think the sub is blown because it came on a couple of times (again today) and sounded fine. I'll probably tear everything out of the trunk tomorrow and see if i can't find a bad connection. If i take it back to mazda will they say anything about my exhaust or other mods? anyone ever have any problems with that? Thanks for the thoughts
I'm telling you it's the sub. Mine did the exact same thing. Did you read the link I posted. The sub does go in and out,

Issue: Blown Stock Subwoofer.
<HR>
What: The stock subwoofer blows after normal usage.

Why: The stock sub suffers from a weak voice coil. After normal use of the sub, the voice coil will simply detach itself from the cone and render the sub useless. This may not be an immediate detachment and thusly your subwoofer may kick in and out at random times but it will eventually die completely.

How To Fix: Return to the dealership. Most dealerships have given the customers a completely new new amp rack including amp, the plastic deck and subwoofer. I haven't heard of a dealership just replacing the subwoofer by itself. Keep in mind this is a great time to talk to them about your amp rack if it rattles.

TSB/M-Tip:
Code:

MAZDASPEED PROTEGE - SUBWOOFER INOP Applicable Models Model Starting S/N Ending S/N 2003 PROTEGE 00000000 ZZZZZZZZ Symptoms and ConditionsCustomer may experience intermittent or no sound from Kenwood rear tray subwoofer. When you encounter a customer with this concern repair vehicle according to the following repair procedures.Repair Procedure1. Verify customer concern.2. Confirm that the NF (Non Fading {rear sub-woofer audio signal}) has not been turned off accidentally by the customer. This can be checked with the audio turned on and pressing the AM button for approximately 2 seconds, this will cause the display screen to momentarily change indicating "NF", ON or off.3. Confirm power to rear subwoofer amp by verifying orange LED illuminates when the audio unit is turned on.If no faults are found in the above steps, exchange the subwoofer tray assembly by contacting KENWOOD at (XXX) XXX-8740 and faxing the audio exchange order form to FAX No. (XXX) XXX-8749.Copyright Mazda North American Operations​
</PRE>

cheap Kenwood crap I take it. Gotta love it. Kenwood USED to be really good and then went from really good to the most bang for the buck. Now it is just crap. (poke)

Yes the kenwood sub is a piece of s***, and so is the headunit, replace them with something better if you've got the money. Your headunit will fail soon too I'm sure.

peepsalot you were exactly right it was one of the two wires that is on the sub itself. I pulled the damn thing out and electrical taped the hell out of it until i can get time to solder it all together. but it's working now. thanks for the help guys/girls. hopefully i will find the funds to upgrade my system in the near future...intercooler first though. later

Back