Tire size???

gjmoreo

:
Blue MP3
Ok - I have done a search and talked to a few diffrent people, but I wanted to come to my most reliable sources - you guys!

I have to replace my stock dunlops, my tires did the same as others (inside sidewall splitting to metal belts...)
I do not want to go with the same tires - the only problem is It is hard to find the original tire size (205/45/17)

I have read that 215/40/17 and*or 215/45/17 will work on out MP3's instead of the original size......problem is.......I called TIRERACK to speak w/ a customer service rep / advisor and he advised me not to use anything BUT 205/45/17 -

So now I'm confused......will it hurt my ride or effect the handling in a negative way? Is it possible to use either size? I need tires ASAP but need to know if it will work.....Maybe I just spoke to somebody who was not so sure if I can or not.....

I appreciate any and all input - Thanks!!!(thumb)

I used the Yokohama ES100's in 205/45-17. We still have the SP9K's for autocrossing but we haven't had any problems with the tires. The SP9K's do wear fast but I rotate them everytime they go on the car so they wear evenly.

i have 215 40 17 on my car and have had no problems like them better then the dunlops, you can notice bumps a little more but not too big of a deal

either size you stated will work just fine.....but to keep your speedo as accurate as possible...stick with the 215/40....its a bit closer.

Last edited:
Tire rack, shmire rack. The retail reps in the organization don't typically know much more than what comes up on the screen. I really don't believe your odometer will be effected until you hit over 90mph between the 205/45 and 215/40.

In fact, Federal 595 is made in the 205/45/17 and I can get you a phat hookup on those. They are a good tire with a nice treadpattern. You know I wouldn't say they were good if they weren't. Don't think they'll be a SP9000, but they will last longer and be cheaper.

Let me know.

Rishie

Either way you want to go don't worry about it.

ok great, thanks guys.......I thought so, but the way that rep was talking was putting doubt in my mind as if I woud be stupid if I bought any other size......

Rishie - can you pm me and give me prices on those tires?

Thanx!!

TireRack reps are *duh*. One of them tried to tell me that Speedline only makes two styles of wheels... I couldn't even be bothered to argue with him. Their website software has a higher IQ than anyone you will get in touch with via e-mail or telephone. :cool:

If you can't find a 205/45 tire you like, go with 215/45.
The 5% of the extra 10 mm of width should give a smaller size difference than going down to a 40 series tire and your handling and ride comfort will stay the same.

Last edited:
ok so If I had the option to choose, what size is the best?

215/40 or 215/45 ????

I need my car back!!!!! I need tires!!!! I hate this!!!!

My vote goes to 215/45.
Although if you are going by the Dunlop 9000's it looks like this according to TireRack:

205/45: 24.1"
215/40: 23.9"
215/45: 24.5"

Last edited:
gjmoreo said:
ok so If I had the option to choose, what size is the best?

215/40 or 215/45 ????

I need my car back!!!!! I need tires!!!! I hate this!!!!

go with the 215/40's.....they will keep everything as close as possible to stock....the change from a 205/45 to a 215/40 will give you the smallest error by going up a width size....you will end up with .9 mph error high at 60

for the future...if you want to compare tire sizes from one to another...here is a very helpful site...

TIRE SIZE CALCULATOR

use it....it works...and will even tell you how much error your speedo will have either high or low with the switch from your stock tire...to whatever you want to use.

Thanks sirnuke, your the man with an answer......

i just ordered my tires today through a local shop - I should have them mounted in about 2-3 days. I ordered something a-bit out of the ordinary ;), you will all see when I take pics soon.

thanks everyone.

Back