Mazda6 Autocross Info, Tips, Advice Needed

idhaskel

Hey - is anyone out there autocrossing a Mazda6 in SCCA Autocrossing? I am about to purchase a 2003 Mazda6s (5-speed, of course), and am wondering if I am going to be the only one doing it.

It is classed in GS against Mini Cooper S's, BMW 318i's and many others. I may not be competetive, but I will have fun.

What are the hot shocks for this car (springs are not allowed to be changed in the stock classes)? Anyone know of LIGHT stock sized rims from some other car that will fit and be cheap (my buddy with an Integra Type R found that Mazda Millenia rims fit his car exactly, but he could get them on ebay for really cheap). Any thing like that for a 6?

What is the common thinking around front sway bars? Bigger to reduce body roll, or smaller to decrease understeer. I would love to fit a bigger rear bar, but you can't mess with them in stock.

Any other interesting stories or advice? I am not a novice autocrosser, but have no experience with the 6 at all.

Thanks, everyone! -- Ian

Kosei K1-TS. They're 17x7, relatively cheap, and very light. Watch out for potholes though.

If you want to run in STX, the rx7 16x8 +50 offset rims work, and they're hella light and forged. Very inexpensive.

the "hot" shocks are pretty much always Konis unless you're planning on dropping mucho $$$. a set of Koni sports should do you fine.

if the stock rims size is 17x7, you're in luck, as that's a very common size. check out the tire rack for some choices, but there are also plenty of places to look. the koseis are a very good suggestion. you can also fit some pretty wide rubber under the 6, i think.

i'd suggest poking around sccaforums.com, as there have been a few 6-related discussions. the 6 is a nice car, but probably too heavy to be a serious GS competititor...on the national stage, at least. locally, almost anything can be competitive. good luck! :)

I autoX my 6 but I am in STSL because of my cold air intake, it took me outta stock class.

The SCCA site just like was requested is the best place to go and check into stuff like that to determine what is aloud and what isn't. I do decent times with my 6. I currently was in first place in my class, but when I get out there I have no mercy I put all I can into it and am not scared of anything. I will say it is a blast and if you haven't done so yet, you will love it. If you have any questions let me know cause I have several friends who are into it hardcore and know the SCCA guidelines by heart!

Good luck and have fun!

Back