What winter tires and rims to get for next year?...

BoostedMP3

:
#4 Laser Blue Mica MP3
I went through this winter with Z-rated yokohamas and i'll never do that again. I need to get you guys ideas about finding where i can get a good price on a good set of winter tires for my MP3. Also, i heard steelies are a good idea, 15'? Where would be the best/cheapest place to find them? Any ideas would help alot, thanx

Tire rack...P5 steelies fit the MSP.

Highway or town driving?

I got the Pirelli Snowsport (210 i think, i can check if you want) as they are speed rated and I used to drive the turnpike daily. Handled well in dry, reasonably comfortable ripping corners with and good in the snow.

If town, get some Blizzaks or Nokian (sp?)

I have a set of pirelli snowsports and I'll swear by them. I got them off ebay in the size I wanted.

The rims I have are 5-lug accord rims (98-02?) but I need 5mm spacers. The spacers are the first problem, although you can get them cheap from summitt racing. The second problem is that the center hub cap is exposed. Mine fell out and the snow/salt mixture corroded my hubs, requiring new bearings. I won't let that happen again.

Tires!

I need to get new tires by winter time also.... but unfortunately i know NOTHING about tires. I have the standard stock ones now, but I dirve so much i wore them oiut and they arent even a year old,,,,

Can someone please direct me to some good choices.... Price isnt a problem, i want long lasting tires that will be good in snow and good for summer~

I just got some All-season's and put them on the stock RH's because I bought summer wheels. They worked great. I think they were goodyear, but I can't remember at the moment. It was like night and day compared to the summers. I've never tried stellies and/or winter tires, so I can't say how much better winter tires would be over all-seasons...but obviously they'd be somewhat better. Just too expensive to buy a whole package.

instead of starting my own thread i will just add to this one... i looked at tirerack and they don't have steel wheels available yet... i need to get steelies and winter tires as well won't go through another winther on those horrible rsa's that come with the 3... anyways anywhere else you guys think have steelies? i checked ebay and once i got down to 16 incn (as low as a 3s can go) there wasn't shiat.... i guess i could call around some junk yards and see whats available... suggestions?

do'h sorry guys thought this was in the reg tire section not the mp3.... well thanks anyways... (sleep) in at the wheel....

Last edited:
You won't find a better price for new steelies than what TireRack offers in their packages. You can go to a junk yard but then you have to pay to have your new tires mounted. Just wait until the fall and go with one of the TireRack packages.

tsunami said:
instead of starting my own thread i will just add to this one... i looked at tirerack and they don't have steel wheels available yet... i need to get steelies and winter tires as well won't go through another winther on those horrible rsa's that come with the 3... anyways anywhere else you guys think have steelies? i checked ebay and once i got down to 16 incn (as low as a 3s can go) there wasn't shiat.... i guess i could call around some junk yards and see whats available... suggestions?

do'h sorry guys thought this was in the reg tire section not the mp3.... well thanks anyways... (sleep) in at the wheel....

I would go with 15". You'll find a ton of more tire and wheel options.

I got mine off ebay. Search for a website that compares the lug pattern (5x100 vs. 5x114.5, etc.) and offset. I ended up getting accord rims that had the right bolt pattern, but not enough offset. Wasn't a big deal because I only needed 5mm more offset (35mm + 5mm spacer = 40mm minimum offset you should get).

I would check ebay. I spent <400 for barely used rims and tires from different sellers.

For the Protege you should shoot for a 45-55mm offset. Stock is 55 I think.

Edit: and spacers will actually subtract from the offset on FWD cars so if they were 35mm you'd end up with 30mm offset. THe offset is the distance between the mounting point and the center of the wheel. Adding a spacer moves the mounting point closer to the center of the wheel thus subtracting from the overall offset. Using spacers is not recommended.

Last edited:
iluvmacs said:
I would go with 15". You'll find a ton of more tire and wheel options.

I got mine off ebay. Search for a website that compares the lug pattern (5x100 vs. 5x114.5, etc.) and offset. I ended up getting accord rims that had the right bolt pattern, but not enough offset. Wasn't a big deal because I only needed 5mm more offset (35mm + 5mm spacer = 40mm minimum offset you should get).

I would check ebay. I spent <400 for barely used rims and tires from different sellers.

can't go with 15's since a 3s can only have 16 b/c of brake clearance...
tsunami said:
once i got down to 16 incn (as low as a 3s can go) there wasn't shiat

chuyler1 said:
For the Protege you should shoot for a 45-55mm offset. Stock is 55 I think.

Edit: and spacers will actually subtract from the offset on FWD cars so if they were 35mm you'd end up with 30mm offset. THe offset is the distance between the mounting point and the center of the wheel. Adding a spacer moves the mounting point closer to the center of the wheel thus subtracting from the overall offset. Using spacers is not recommended.

You're right. You want more offset when the wheel is designed to wrap around the brakes. I had to subtract offset because of the way the wheel was designed and the way it was hitting the brakes.

Back