What winter tires and rims to get for next year?...

BoostedMP3

:
#4 Laser Blue Mica MP3
I went through this winter with Z-rated yokohamas and i'll never do that again. I need to get you guys ideas about finding where i can get a good price on a good set of winter tires for my MP3. Also, i heard steelies are a good idea, 15'? Where would be the best/cheapest place to find them? Any ideas would help alot, thanx

Tire Rack or Discount Tire and the others will have combo specials. They may yet be available now, and they could be cheaper offseason.

Personally I'm getting the Toyo Garit HT's next fall. How much snow/ice do you get in your area?

it depends, i live about an hour and a half north of NYC; so its a 50/50 chance of a bad winter. I def. have to get snow tires though, cause one touch of the brakes with the z-rated ones, and total slidding. it's like driving with slicks.

Tire rack won't have the steelies this time of year. I asked. They are special order for winter packages only. As for tires, its hit-or-miss with what they've got in stock. I'd wait until the fall and get one of their package deals. Their tire prices aren't much less than retail but when you don't have to pay to mount and balance them it works out cheaper in the end.

i got my g/f tires for much less than retail...but it all worked out about even once i paid for shippping and mounting, etc. (even so, it's worth it to me just for t he selection).

and fortunately TR ships from delaware, so cheap-o ground shipping gets to my house in NJ the next day. :D

for an MP3, why don't you go with a set of ES/P5 16" stock rims? they look nice and you gain some extra sidewall height for those potholes. or else pick up a set of 929 or MX-6 wheels...i'll probably be mounting some LM-22 Blizzaks on my MX-6 wheels in the fall.

I have a set of 4 15" steelies with Dunlop Griasic tires only have 2000 miles on them. asking only $ 250.00 pick-up.I'm in hartford,CT.
\
BoostedMP3 said:
it depends, i live about an hour and a half north of NYC; so its a 50/50 chance of a bad winter. I def. have to get snow tires though, cause one touch of the brakes with the z-rated ones, and total slidding. it's like driving with slicks.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 648
I used 14" steelies and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s. They got me thru anything. Slush to 13" of snow. Theyre great!

Winter Tires/Rims

Last year I used some 14" alloy wheels I got from a guy used. They originally came from Pep Boys. For tires I got Nokian NWR in size 195-65-14. Traction in snow is very good. I like them a lot, but they do force you to slow down on dry pavement though, or else they will start screeching and skidding. Surprisingly quiet tire, and smooth ride too.

If you decide to keep your 16" alloys, you can get many Nokian tires in 205-50-16. The Nokian WR is warranted for 50k miles, so you can leave them on year round if you want.

MP5_509 said:
I used 14" steelies and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s. They got me thru anything. Slush to 13" of snow. Theyre great!

Middletown, NY? If so, I'm not that far (live in Saugerties, work in Cairo)

I have steelies and Blizzaks. They have worked well for me.

Back