SUpercharger Kit for KLZE 2.5L V6

kasmankk

:
Ford Lynx RS 2.0L
(attn) anyone has any idea where i can find an affordable and proven supercharger kit for KLZE motor?

Thomas Knight Turbos use to make turbo, twin turbo, and supercharger kits for those engines. I have not talked to him for a couple years however. Geoff, the owner, is incredible helpful.

www.boosthead.com

You also might be able to find more K-Series engine info on www.probetalk.com.

I use to have a website that was specifically about the Mazda K-Series engine, It and all the content are no longer however.

Last edited:
HorsepowerFreak said:
Thomas Knight Turbos use to make turbo, twin turbo, and supercharger kits for those engines.

www.boosthead.com
NO!!! Bad authorized vendor, bad!!!shame on you for reffering thomas knight. do a search on him on these boards and on other. crap>his kits

Maybe the supercharger that came on the millenia. check that out

What's wrong with Geoff Knight? Have you ever talked with him or used any of his product?

A lot of his product got a bad rap way back in the day because of people trying to install turbo kits that should not have been trying to install turbo kits. That reflected in a lot of forum bashing by people who didn't know what they were doing. Then it just snowballs from there... everyone starts thinking something is bad when they actually have no first hand experience with it.

Regardless, he's one of the first people to ever do anything to one of those motors and actually get a large amount of power from them. Gerry from RPM also knows his K-Series.

I also checked out his welds. (headshake

he might be better now but still....

also, I never said anything bad about him as a person, just his product

yeah I remember seeing pictures of his turbo kit for 2nd gen Probes a long time ago...and the welds and overall quality of the piping bends etc. was unacceptable...

however, TK claimed it was not his work, and that the kit had been adapted for a probe from a kit that wasn't for that car...and no one ever showed pictures of a "real" TK system...who knows, but he definately recieved a bad rep from that community based on pretty much that incident...

I have no clue...last I heard that company was dealing with Electric superchargers, and having pretty good success with them as a nitrous alternative (these are not Ebay things...they are SC's powered by 8-10hp electric motors, that can flow nearly 375cfm @ 12psi from what I remember)...I am not heavily into FI though, so I lost interest to begin with...

but back to the topic...I think you should contact www.RR-Racing.com to see what kit they used on their KL PGT...it ran pretty well from what i remember...they don't sell a kit I don't think, but they could help you find out who helped them SC their KL...

if you could get me a loaner car here for me to look at I'll see if I'm able to do anything for you. I'm about to start a kit for the 13B Rx7's.

like I said before, wouldn't one from the supercharged 2.5 Millenia work? Granted some piping might needed to be fabricated but that wont cost hardly anything

what type of charger did that Millenia use?...I am not sure what car this KL-ZE is in right now, but nearly everything it came in has next to no room at all for anything...and the intake manifold is pretty crazy...It was a centrifigal unit in the RR racing Probe GT, simply because there was no clearance for it anywhere else (the SC gearbox was mounted crank pulley side of the engine bay, while the charger was on the opposite side near the transaxle)...connected with a shaft spanning in front of the radiator)...a twin screw "roots" type blower would never fit in that thing I don't think

vindication said:
like I said before, wouldn't one from the supercharged 2.5 Millenia work? Granted some piping might needed to be fabricated but that wont cost hardly anything

Not at all..... The supercharger (Lysholm compressor actually) mounts between the cylinder heads on the Millenia S. To adapt that charger to a regular K-Series and make it function like that of the Miller Cycle would cost more than any kit would. You could use that charger as a more universal setup, but you're back at square one building yourself your own supercharger setup from scratch.

The Miller Cycle engine doesn't operate like a standard internal combustion engine that we are use to in late model cars... There's a number of sites that have info on them and the theory they work on. Very interesting stuff.

The KL_ZE is a more performance version of the KLD (higher compression, different cams, different intake manifold, etc) The KLD comes out of the Probe, MX-6, 626, Millenia (U.S.). The KL_ZE comes out of a number cars overseas... More or less the same vehicles that the KLD came in here.

Last edited:
Super Matty P said:
if you could get me a loaner car here for me to look at I'll see if I'm able to do anything for you. I'm about to start a kit for the 13B Rx7's.

1885-2000 RX-7's had 13B's... What models are you working with specifically?

You should just buy my '87 TII to build stuff on. :)

He already has a 2nd gen. '86 I believe but I might be wrong. That's what he's working on apparently, although I hadn't heard anything about it.

I just can't respect those electric blowers. They're tiny, inneficient blowers to start with, and they're turned by a starter motor, powered by a BANK (not one, but a bank) of batteries. The weight of those items has to very nearly cancel out any gains you get from the supercharger itself, for all 15 seconds of it's operating life before it has to recharge for a few minutes.

To give you an idea of how little these are, the maximum safe flow rate of the Powerdyne bd-11a in the WOMP kit flows 975 cfm. Like Jamie said, the TK units flow under 400 cfm. It's just not a good use of money.

agreed...just wanted to point out I don't think he is working with turbo's anymore...and that the electric SC's are different than those plastic ebay fan things you can get...

they market the thing as an alternative to nitrous (because it drains the batteries real quickly, and then the batteries recharge rather quickly I guess), which makes sense...but the price is as high as a normal supercharger...so just go with a real one...

I'm a firm believer in the constant innovation of old products, yet at the same time don't think people should re-invent the wheel (unless the new wheel is better of course).

So my hat is off to anyone that can create a new concept that actually works. Like you said, there's all kinds of crap on ebay that's marketed to people who don't know anything. Like those electronic supercharges and those magic boxes that add 20hp. :rolleyes:

the 13B I was refering to was the NA 2nd gen engines....no need to switch from a proven 13B-rew TT in a 3rd gen and the 1st gen stuff was carbbed...so thats a no-go.

ANYWHO, The lysohlm compressor on the millenia S was horrid. IT was more efficient than the standard eaton compressors but the size was a little smaller than an M45 (eatons smallest retail blower). While it made more power than an M45, no'one but the mini cooperS uses those, they all use M62iV or higher....If it were me I'd machine a custom phelonic spacer between the inlet port on the head and the intake manifold and run a small direct nitrous system. You could EASILY get an extra 100whp safely when done this way.

Super Matty P said:
the 13B I was refering to was the NA 2nd gen engines....no need to switch from a proven 13B-rew TT in a 3rd gen and the 1st gen stuff was carbbed...so thats a no-go.

The 13B only came in the GSL-SE 1st gen RX-7 (85 only), it was EFI. The 12A's were carbed. ;)

Hunh...Knight has a SC kit out for the FS motor. Look out, TMP.

Haha, according to the site he has a kit out for EVERY car! His "kit" is a blower w/ brackets and a starter motor to turn it. You gotta buy the batteries, wiring, etc etc etc.

Latest posts

Back