Simota Racing Carbon Fiber Intake Installed at XtecUSA *PICS*

Solo2Protege

:
Mz3|Mz6W|Protege LX
Simota Racing Carbon Fiber Intake

First Impressions
Upon opening the box, the intake looks really nice. Nice, shiney and lightweight, the main front edges had a type of edge trim to finish it off. The holes were nicely drilled and it came mostly assembled. Some of the corners werent 100%, but nothing I couldnt overlook. The main box does have a fiberglass backing for added strength. There were no instructions with the kit, but that will change (at least for the kits from Xtec USA)

The supplied hardware was of good quality. The filter assembly itself was nice, bright blue in color, about an 8 diameter at the base with chrome accents and a nice T-bolt ring seal. Gaskets are supplied for the filter and for between the aluminum piping parts that mount to the box.

Install Issues
The supplied aluminum piping parts both came threaded. Since these parts sandwich the CF box, one part had to be drilled out. We chose to drill out the MAF part and install the bolts from the outside in.

The kit failed to supply a section of hose to connect the OEM breather tube to the CF box. 3/8 ID is needed.

The kit also failed to supply a bracket for the Barro Sensor. I chose to use the OEM bracket and mount it to match the OEM distance and location from the MAF. This made for a near perfect match in placement.

The lack of instructions had me stumped on where the supplied bracket would go.that is until I looked more closely at the hardware that was supplied.

Post Install Impressions
The box quality was good, fit pretty well. I would only change one small part to have it fit 100%, but its nothing that inhibits its performance, mainly for looks. Its the part that fits around the fuse box. Seems they made it to fit not taking into account the wire loom coming out of the fuse box. But it also sits slightly offset when installed anyway, so i dunno. A small change to the shape and it would be 100%. As is, I see it as 90%.

The supplied hardware is your standard intake hardware. The support bracket was nice, thick and beefy with crisp, clean bends. I would have preferred a silicone elbow rather than the rubber elbow supplied, but it does the job.

I chose to retain the battery air scoop for a stealthy OEM look. Its a 99.9% fit, as 1 tab used to attach the small plastic filler piece above the headlamp would need to be shaved off for a 100% fit.

The final product is a preliminary well performing and good looking intake thats very easy to install.

Driving Impressions
When I first fired up the car, it was as if it was still stock. Idle was silky smooth, no stumble or hesitation AT ALL. The first thing you notice when the go pedal is pushed, is the nice low toned growl. Which for me, was an added bonus. Having driven a modified car for the past 15 years, the 3 was WAAAAY too quiet
icon_biggrin.gif

Throttle response was noticeably apparent. Seemed to smooth out shifting as well. Hard to say if any gains are thereseems to me the quicker throttle response may fool you into thinking there is an added gain in power, maybe so, but with an intake alone, the gains are minimal at best. Im sure itll be complimented nicely with headers, exhaust, etc

Freeway cruising was just like normal, but it did get up and go quicker when passing. Stop and go traffic was smooth as well. Helped smooth out any jerkyness when creeping along in traffic. Driving and idle was just as smooth with the A/C on or off.

Ive driven 150 miles since it was installed last night and no hint of a CEL at all. But i did notice a sucking/whistling sound tonight on my way home. I thought it was the turbos from the big rigs around me...but when i got clear, i still heard it. When i got to the quiet back roads, it became appearant. It really sounds like a small turbo spooling up, no joke. Infact, if you have ever heard a Jetta or GTI 1.8T spool up, you know the sound
icon_smile.gif
(i used to have an 02 Jetta 1.8t) It only happens at part to WOT. but if you just cruising around town, it's bearly audible. There are MANY variables of what would cause this...

Final Summary
All in all, I feel this is a good product. With just a few minor revisions, this would be a 100% complete kit. As I see it now, its at 90% complete. The majority of that being the lack of instructions and extra hose needed. Obviously dyno time would be needed to get the performance numbers, but I probably will not be the one to do thismy dyno money is spent on my race car, not my daily driver.lol

About Xtec USA
All this came about from me answering a post by XenonExpert looking for a Mazda3 for Xtec USA here in SoCal to prototype a Daylight Demon Eye kit (DDE) When I contacted Jim at Xtec USA he mentioned an intakeit didnt dawn on me it was the Simota CF intake until I saw a few BMW kits when I walked into his shop.

Jim at Xtec USA is a great guy, very professional and knowledgeable. Not only did he offer up the DDE kit for free, he threw in the Simota CF intake as wellhow cool is that!! With what we learned from the intake kit and install, revisions will be made to the kits that Xtec USA will sell, to include the extra hose length needed and an instruction sheet with photos.

I would like to thank Oliver at XenonExpert for the hook-up and especially Jim at Xtec USA. Great guys, upfront and honest and everything they said would happen, happened!

P.S..... I am working on the install guide for the intake right now, will be ready in the next few days.

Here are a few teaser pics...more to come...

Attachments

• CFintake_01.jpg
    CFintake_01.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 528
  • CFintake_05.jpg
    CFintake_05.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 495
Dude, you got plenty of stuff...have you seen the 1st gen aftermarket? me either....the OEM JDM/EDM market has better parts to choose from. You gotta look deep for the good stuff.

Well maybe we share some stuff from the Miata, but that doesn't really count...ah crap, it counts...YOU'RE SCREWED HATER!

lol

I'm not much of a CF guy myself, but when somebody offers it up for free...you tend to overlook the small things :)

Back