What was your first computer?

chuyler1

goes to eleven
:
2013 CX-9
We were having this discussion at work today and I thought it would be fun to continue it here.

Not counting the Apple IIe my mom use to bring home from school for the summer, my first computer was a Macintosh Performa 575. 33MHz, 8MB RAM, 250MB HD.

apple_performa_500.gif

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_575.html

i remember our first computer using special cassette tapes. it hooked up to our b/w tv

i think the first was the one my aunt bought...it ran on windows 3.1, had a a: and b: drive (5 1/4" disk), and a cd rom. and a turbo button that didn't do anything. don't know the specs...

my uncle also had one of those old ass macs with the tiny b/w screen. Lode Runner was a great game...also crystal quest.

i guess it would be our atari (can't remember model #) it came with Basic so you could program awesome games, but you couldn't save them. i remember my mom typed one game/program out, which took her about 2 hours to type, my brother and i played for 5 minutes and realized the game sucked, so we turned it off. we were little s*** heads. after that we got an apple IIe.

Packard Hell
Pentium 75MHz
8mb Ram
600mb HD

boy that kicked ass

My neighbor had a brand new 133MHz i was jealous

386 DX 16Mhz, with 2mb of ram, and a whopping 20mb hard drive.

it was the win.

it was the beginning of my DIY PC building hobby... way before it became as popular as it is today.

haha, I have a sick picture of me when I was a kid posing it front of it..those were good days. I do believe I had a mellow yellow in my hand.

my first was 386, but i got my own beast of the time.. a 486/sx25, 4mb ram, 1x cd-rom (people thought i was crazy for having that) i think it was like 200mb hd, not sure.. man, i look back at it insane that paid 4k for it.

intel 386DX 33mhz
2mb ram
1mb video (don't remember exactly)
40 mb hd
5 1/4" floppy
sony 3 1/2" floppy
no mouse
dos 5.0
win 3.1
wordstar

Compaq
75mhz
16mb ram, upgraded from 8mb
win 3.1/msdos prompts
small ass hd
3.5" floppy
game entertainment pack

later had a cd-rom drive installed. my father said he paid out the ass for 8mb extra ram :) we gave it to my father's parents to get them aquainted with modern computers... my grandfather was involved with some punchcard programming at Cummings back in the day.

when we upgraded from the IIe to a 486dx 33mhz. one of the big ram maufacturers burned down so it was $100 per mb or ram. yup. $400 for the 4mb of ram we got. anyone know why they came with turbo buttons. why would you want to run it at half speed?

I'm pretty sure this was our first computer:
TI-99/4A

http://oldcomputers.net/ti994a.html

We got it back in 1984, 1985? My younger brother killed it by taking the cartridge out while it was still on. After that, it was a few years, then we got a 386 when I was 10 or 11.

mountjonas said:
when we upgraded from the IIe to a 486dx 33mhz. one of the big ram maufacturers burned down so it was $100 per mb or ram. yup. $400 for the 4mb of ram we got. anyone know why they came with turbo buttons. why would you want to run it at half speed?

The way programs were written back then, they heavily relied on using the processor clock speed for timing functions. So, if you had a game that ran fine at 8MHz, but were running at "turbo" 33MHz, the game would be rediculously fast. The turbo button was there mainly to slow the computer down if you needed.

Back