Clean engine bay

Fede_italiano

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazda Protege' MazdaSpeed
Hi Guys,

I was wondering what would be a good product to clean the engine bay.
Do you guys have any particular methods to clean the bay in a safe way?

Thanks again and sorry for silly question.

Federico

^ yep yep
simple green is teh s***:

Clean%20Engine.jpg

no LA weather here..my 97 pro and my 2003.5 speed

Attachments

• P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 268
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 293
  • my mzd eng pic.jpg
    my mzd eng pic.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 269
Don't use a pressure washer.....just a regular garden hose and Simple Green.

Also cover up the alternator and some electrical connections before just in case.

I use Gunk Engine Degreaser and I use a pressure washer and I've never had a problem. I also don't spray then engine really near to it with the hose, I stand back quite a bit to use it. I know about getting water into the alternator, distributor (which we don't have), and other electrical areas... anyway, just be careful that's all... don't go running the hose in the alternator and you should be ok with it.....

Holy ******* clean car, Dr. Sound!!! I saw a pic of your car's underside to that made me go, "WHA!?!" (the new muffler pic) Do you only operate your car in a clean-room environment? Jesus....I guess not having big trucks that frequently dump sand and salt everywhere helps.

Dam I need to get my engine to look like Dr. Sound's that is freaking amazing...

Ok so some simple green and water??

Be careful when you spray water in your engine bay. I would personally unhook my negative terminal of my battery, make sure I'm not driving my car for a few hours or more afterwards, and put a fan on it after I was done. Last thing you need is standing water in something electrical when you start your car up. Most of the time you might be okay, but better safe than sorry.

TheJohnny said:
I use Gunk Engine Degreaser and I use a pressure washer and I've never had a problem. I also don't spray then engine really near to it with the hose, I stand back quite a bit to use it. I know about getting water into the alternator, distributor (which we don't have), and other electrical areas... anyway, just be careful that's all... don't go running the hose in the alternator and you should be ok with it.....

Where exactly is the alternator on our car ?
Beside that, we cover fuses, battery, spark plug and maybe some others wires ?

thanks

Wingman21 said:
Where exactly is the alternator on our car ?
Beside that, we cover fuses, battery, spark plug and maybe some others wires ?

thanks
It's hooked up to the mess of pulleys and belts on the passenger side, towards the bottom back. The part with all the wound coils of wire behind the vent holes.

Fuse box already has a cover, and the plugs wires have built in dust/water covers. I'd unhook the negative battery terminal and maybe wrap it in a baggie or something. I've never actually cleaned my engine bay though.

Last edited:
yeah simple green will work. when i was in toronto, i like to use the foamy engine cleaner by Motomaster (available only at Canadian Tire) .... works great. use LIGHT pressure water from a garden hose. i have an attachment that can change the output pressure and makes a mist. that is the best. i never really had to cover up anything just don't soak your electrical components. do it on a COLD engine.

Back