Starting issues

Murda

:
Protege5
About one every 10 starts my car seems to have trouble starting. The first half second the starter just whines and the car feels like it won't turn over. Then, everything returns to normal and it cranks.

It severity seems to be eratic and sometimes its only a half second, sometimes a full second.

Anyone experience this? I have a compustar auto starter and tend to use the autostart feature a lot. I'm doubting that it has anything to do with it as a start via the compustar and a start via the key seem to be nearly identical.

Suggestions? How long does a starter usually last? Car is at 50,000 km.

Well, last week we had to replace the starter on our Grand Caravan ($300). It has about 78K miles. It would frequently just not turn over until several times turning the key, or we'd have to wait a couple minutes and try again. Then it would act normal. I hate that van.

Murda said:
About one every 10 starts my car seems to have trouble starting. The first half second the starter just whines and the car feels like it won't turn over. Then, everything returns to normal and it cranks.

It severity seems to be eratic and sometimes its only a half second, sometimes a full second.

Anyone experience this? I have a compustar auto starter and tend to use the autostart feature a lot. I'm doubting that it has anything to do with it as a start via the compustar and a start via the key seem to be nearly identical.

Murda said:

So you hear the starter turning but it is not turning over the motor?

If that is the case, probably the bendix on the starter drive.

Starter life will vary from one to another. Number of km on car do not matter too much. All depends on how much the starter is used. Pizza delivery car might be started 100 times in a day. Commuter - twice.

Good luck

I just a typical user, usually 2 starts a day, more on weekends.

When it bogs, its like the start is bogging down and turning too slowly.

could be the bendix.

Also it maybe that since you use compustar, it may grind sometimes. this could lead to flywheel and/or starter gear tooth breakage, hence a whine where the tooth/teeth are broken, then it grabs, and starts.

So, it happenned again last night pretty badly.

The symptoms are very much like a dead battery. As in, the starter seems to rotate very slowly and/or not at all. But, after waiting a couple seconds, it starts up almost normally. I have a deep cycle battery (1 yr old now).

I can't reproduce it under any particular circumstance.

Back