MSP Brake Pad and Rotor Sizes

MikeyG_U2

Since our cars are pretty limited in number I've found it quite difficult to find accurate information about pad and rotor sizes. Most of the major vendors have incorrect information, citing our brakes as the same as a regular protege, which I know is not the case. So I've read almost every thread on these and other forums trying to compile a list of what we have. I'd like for this thread to be a repository of accurate info, so please correct me if I'm wrong, and if you aren't sure of something, don't post speculations. If this becomes good maybe it can be added to the aftermarket parts list.

One thing that can help a lot is if we confirm that the size of certain brake components in our cars are the same as other cars, such as say the MP3. I know we share some components with the old 626 V6 and possibly the old RX7. The more cars we add to that list, the easier it will be to get accurate info from the manufacturers.

I know there are many aftermarket "performance" solutions available. But that's not what I want. I want good quality replacement pads and rotors that are suitable for everyday driving and won't break the bank. While the Carbotech pads are awesome, and I may get some for my weekend autocrossing, I'm not going to run them all the time considering they are $90+ an axle.

Here's the pad info I've gathered:
Front Pads, FMSI (international size code): D755
These pads are the same size as those found on the 2000-era Mazda 626 V6. So any pads designed for the front of that car, should work on our fronts. Here are a few that I've found:
Mazda Front: CBY3-33-23Z
Akebono ACT755 (ceramic)
Raybestos PG Plus PGD755 (ceramic or organic available)
Carbotech CT755

Rear Pads, FMSI: D322, D283, D482 (D322 is confirmed, the other two are not but have identical size specs to the D322)
Supposedly these pads are the same size as the 1995-era of the Mazda RX7's rear pads. I have not been able to confirm this however. I ordered some rear pads for an RX7, I just haven't yet opened up the back brakes of my car to compare, I'll update this post when I do, hopefully this coming weekend. If they are the same, I will post a list of mainstream pads that will fit.

Now the tough part...Rotors! Everybody is going crazy with slotted and cross-drilled rotors. The simple fact is that they are expensive, and unnecessary for my use of the car, and probably many of you as well. So I'm trying to find some good replacement rotors that won't break the bank.

Front Rotors, 10.8" Vented
Again the Mazda 626 V6 is coming to the rescue. It seems we even share the same rotors. I have ordered some Raybestos PG Plus replacement rotors for $22 apiece. If they fit, I will post here to confirm that 626 V6 rotors do fit our fronts.

Rear Rotors, 11.0" Solid
These have been difficult to track down. Nobody has accurate information about them. Since the rear pads are from the RX7, I thought maybe the rear rotors were as well. However rear rotors for the RX7 usually run around $80 apiece, so I'm hesitant to simply order them... I really hope somebody on here can confirm they are the same size. So if you have done it, please post. If you have info that strongly suggests they are the same, I will buy them and test them.

I pass this challenge onto our authorized vendors selling brake parts. Help out the MSP community, if you have any definitive information regarding the sizes of all parts in question please help us out. If we gather all our knowledge, we can put together a good little guide.

after much research for my brake intall I believe one of the best pad choices is Axxis Metal masters. They run around $70 per axle, which is cheaper than stock, and should last a long time, they are performance or daily street drivable too. This was advice I got from a few vendors and a few members.

As far as rotors? I use my MSP as a daily driver. It is our family car (the only vehicle we own) and I drive about 2000 miles a month. I went with some drilled/slotted which were $75 per (with zinc coating to prevent rust). Now that's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I have to wonder what you get for $22 per rotor...just take a look at these stock MSP rotors found on a car advertised for sale!
my new rotors....................vs.....................stock rotors (puke)
carpic.jpg

I would like to see a good priced solid rotor set for our car (anti rust coating being a must)

Last edited:
Brembo makes solid rotors according to their web site. #25601 which are the same as 1998-2001 6262.5l v6. They do not have anything listed for the rear rotors. I have run many sets of Brembo's on my vw'/audi's they have always worked great. Long lasting and no warping. Although they do rust because they are not coated. I would not go with cheap rotors they will end up warping on you ask any GM owner :)

[plug] See Sig for the lowest price yet WITH cadmium plating for optimum rust protection. [/plug]

The reg satisfied pads are cheap and affordable. I've put em on 2 local msps and they like them. Also, have OEM style plain rotors now.

To resurrect an old thread:

Will FMSI D332 sized pads fit the MSP rear brakes? I just got new rear brakes and the Hawk part number is what it is supposed to be (HB158F.515), but they seem to be D332 instead of D322.

I just want to know before I get my car up in the air and it doesn't fit.

Back