Oxygen Sensor

gapeachsp5

:
03 Mazda 6s
Anyone else have an O2 sensor mess up? My check engine light came on (first issue and 50,000 miles on the car). So, I went to Autozone and they tested it so something's wrong with one of my O2 sensors.

Nothing was really happening with my car until this afternoon on my way home from work. I was driving along and it started acting weird, no way else to say it. I would have my foot steady on the gas and my rpms would jump up a little, maybe 200 rpms. Would the O2 sensor have anything to do with this?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to real car issues....please help! I have an appt at the dealership to get it looked at but that's not until Wednesday.

Oh, by the way, I have an auto 2002.5 p5 if that info is of any importance.

Thanks

go back to autozone, or have them tell you the code it threw. it will be:
P0000 (0= number)

02 Sensors fail and this could just be an issue of that happening and causing the problem. They will replace the sensor and you should be good to go. You could also go to Autozone by one, and do it yourself.

Has happened to me on 2 different cars.

Sure it could mean something else, just stating the most obvious possibility.

So how much is one at Autozone? I've been told they're really simple to replace, and I have mechanically inclined family members and a boyfriend that could do it.

The code is P0031 if I remember correctly. I lost the piece of paper with the code on it. Tell you anything? Like which sensor it is?

Hmmm...It should tell you which "Bank" it is in if I recall correctly, and I think bank 1 is mani, bank 2 is after the cat. It could be the other way around. I would find out specifically the code meant, not just it involved the 02 Sensor, though I am almost certain the sensor has failed.

Not exactly sure on cost. Last one I replaced was over the fall of last year for a saturn and for the life of me I can't remember what I paid.

pdhaudio83 said:
hm that sucks. in my 92 pro, my oem o2 sensor has 133000 miles

Just depends I guess hehe. Honda and Saturn have done it to me. Only got 16,000 on the Speed, so we'll see how it goes here.

Well I was standing there when the guy did it and he showed it to me...all it said was the p0031 code....nothing specific. That's when he said, it's something to do with an o2 sensor.

I did a search and found someone that had the same code pop up. He said it was the front sensor, but of course, no one responded, so I'm s.o.l. there.

Never used Autozone to read a code, but last time I used a scanner it told me alot more than just the code. Don't they have a book there to look up and reference that code so you can more info on what the code means? A code by itself is useless hehe.

Maybe go back when someone else who knows what they are doing is working.

if you have a NAPA, their OBD-II reader will give you the code and the cause for it.

P0031 - Front oxygen (A/F) sensor heater circuit low input

i'm thinking the front sensor is the one before the pre-cat

Maybe a stupid question, but say I get someone to change out the sensor, and it fixes the problem. Will the check engine light go off automatically once the problem is fixed, or will it stay on? Meaning, will I know it worked because the light is off?

yeah, you'll most likely have to use the OBD II scanner to reset it, or disconnect your battery for a few minutes (disconnecting the battery will trash your stereo presets!)

gapeachsp5 said:
So how much is one at Autozone?

I checked the cost not too long ago and if I remember right, the Universal ones are $70.00 or more. The dealership had'em for over a $110.00! (boom02) Not cheap...

Onatrum said:
I checked the cost not too long ago and if I remember right, the Universal ones are $70.00 or more. The dealership had'em for over a $110.00! (boom02) Not cheap...

yeah and you have to pay like 200 for one that explains the code :(

Back